Will someone evaluate my food diary?

Options
Hello! I'd like for someone to take a look at my food diary and tell me what I need more or less of and if I'm doing ok, thanks! I've lost 7 pounds in 2 week doing cardio and strength and watching what I eat...thanks in advance!

Replies

• Nataliethin81
    Options
    You need to be eating more. You're eating below 1200 calories from what I see for the last few days. You're basically putting yourself into starvation mode and slowing your metabolism down. Bump up your calories!
  • frogtox
    Options
    At a quick glance I'd say you're eating too few calories. If you continue, you'll lose initially (like you are now) but your body will go into storage mode and you'll stop losing as much. Try to stick to within a hundred calories or so of your daily goal. If you're short, eat some fruit or veggies so you can get more nutrition (which is something else you'll lack if you don't eat as much). Good luck!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    From what I can see, you're not eating enough and need more fruits and veggies. You also might want to check your sodium levels. Those happy meals have a lot of sodium in them.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I say eat more calories, and veggies.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above. You need to eat more calories and more fruits and veggies. Just try adding a apple or bananna. I agree youll loose to begin with but your metabolism will slow down if you dont eat enough. Good luck!
  • capturethemoments3
    Options
    From the few days I looked at (about a weeks worth) I saw that many days you were cutting yourself seriously short on your calories. You need to eat a MINIMUM of 1200 calories in a day. I saw a few days around 900. Your body is going to start holding onto everything you eat because it isn't going feel like you are giving it enough. Try eating a bit more to reach your allotted goal, you can even eat back some (or all) of your exercise calories. I also noticed some days where you had McDonalds happy meals for lunch. These are really high in fat and could easily be substituted for something different. If you are in hurry maybe try Subway. Sorry if this is too harsh but in reality you just need to eat more. I know it is weird, but I learned from experience! Good luck and keep it up.
  • AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
    Options
    Agree with all the above and you need more protein and like someone else said track your sodium as well.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    The type of food you are eating is good for the most part, but as others have said, you are not eating enough of it. I would aim for at least 1200 NET calories (that is 1200 plus all of your exercise calories).. I have found that I lose better if I eat even more than that and I aim for my BMR (there is a tool on here to calculate that) plus most of my exercise calorie.

Also, as you increase your calories be sure to watch your sodium intake. You are staying under for the most part now but I know that as you increase calories it is easy to increase sodium as well. Easy ways to decrease sodium are to eat less processed foods (less boxed meals, fast food, etc.)

You are doing a great job of exercising on a regular basis and making good choices -- just bump up the food intake some!
  • djmom1984
    djmom1984 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    How can I make my food diary available for review by other members of the community?

I'm having trouble hitting enough calories as well. I exercise at least 1/2 hour every day.

I've actually added more fruits and vegetables to my diet, and eliminated the daily Tim Horton's muffin I used to have.
    I've given up my weekly 2 glasses of wine, and now measure everything I eat.

Advice?
  • marulm
    marulm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good job joining MFP to help evaluate and be healthy. Eventually, because of your very low calorie intake, your weight loss will come to a screeching halt. Even more importantly, you cannot give your body the proper nutrition. I have a couple of suggestions.
    Add a lot more fruits and vegetables ( I consider corn a starch, not a veggie). How about switch your McDonald's hamburger for a grilled chicken salad and ice tea instead of soda? Keep Greek yogurt on hand to mix with fruit for a quick meal. Check my food diary to see how much food I can eat for 1200 calories. I use Kirkland no-salt seasoning to spice up a lot of veggies, and Greek yogurt for all kinds of things. Best wishes on your new life-style.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Personally - stop the fastfood intake, and less processed foods (frozen, packaged, can)...eat more produce - get some lean meat in there. Maybe get the catogory sodium in the column as well. Sodium is my weakness - and I watch it like a hawk....those are my views...
  • sarasotatim
    Options
    I think your food choices are pretty good for the most part :) However, like everyone else has mentioned, you gotta eat more! You're below 1200 calories on most days looks like, not enough fuel for your body :) Good luck!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone says above, you need to eat more calories, including your exercise calories. I know that this sounds counterproductive but it works. When I first started I was only eating my 1200 and was okay for a few weeks. After that, though, the weight wasn't coming off. I added in my exercise calories and began losing 3-4 pounds a week! Read the links in my signature - they will help to understand the reason behind eating all of your calories better. You want to be a healthier you, not a starved and deprived one! :) Good luck!
  • Aaronc909
    Options
    I think you need to bump up your Breakfast calories. Some days I am seeing only 150 or so calories.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    1. Stop going to McDonald's.
    2. Eat less packaged, processed junk.
    3. Track your sodium.
    4. Get at LEAST 1200 calories a day -- after exercise.
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'm new at this counting calories thing and it seems weird to me that I should be eating MORE. The last couple of days we've had to go out and with a 3 year old he always wants McDonalds...bad habit I know...hard to eat on the run! Thanks everyone!
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    McDonalds is the devil!! I know...
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'm new at this counting calories thing and it seems weird to me that I should be eating MORE. The last couple of days we've had to go out and with a 3 year old he always wants McDonalds...bad habit I know...hard to eat on the run! Thanks everyone!

Oh, I understand that! :) At McD's I usually get the same thing my little boy does (well, I get a few more nuggets) -- 6 piece chicken nugget kids meal with apple dippers. He usually gets chocolate milk for a treat and I usually drink unsweet tea or diet coke. Their salads are good too, just watch the dressing! They are high in sodium but most fast food salad are... I dont know what they put in their chicken to make it so salty!

It seems to me that I am eating all of the time! Today I have 500+ calories that I have to figure out what to eat but I have learned if I don't eat them I don't lose weight. I figure the good news is that I know I will be okay when I have fewer calories after losing some weight if I am having to work to eat all I should now! :)
  • aryaw
    aryaw Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough your body will think your starving it and will hoard the fat you do put into your body - be sure to eat a bit more (1200-1600 calories) and drink a bit more water and or other clear liquids...I found that as long as I eat breakfast within that first hour it helps kick start the metabolism. I know it sounds silly but if your really active you do need the extra calories - don't starve yourself - it's counter productive.

((HUGS))
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I looked about 3 days worth back and my initial thoughts were:

1) do you actually do any real cooking?
    2) where are the fruit & vegetables?