Hello, Newbie to the site here w/question

Options
Hello Everyone,

I am new here. I have been in the shadows lurking around reading and getting use to using the site for a few days now. My goal is to loose weight, at least 50lbs. I started this new year off at 230lbs!

While I have always struggled with my weight (ranging 150-180) being over my recommended BMI most of my adult life, I have always been cardio fit, till now. I am now back doing many of the things I love, but finding that I am so very out of shape now. Starting over BITES! I use to ride with a cycling club here 4-7 times a week, 25+ miles each ride. Even at 180lbs I was able to complete a double century endurance ride(200miles in a day) 3 years ago.

I took this past year off the bike, to spend with my kids, helping them with College etc. I am now suffering from empty nest...as both of my children moved out to begin their lives this past fall. ....
Long Story short...during this past year I have lost my job, gained weight, suffered from depression, the the list goes on....

Up side, I have the best husband in the world! He is giving me this year to do what I need to do to get my outsides to match my insides! So, I can ride my bike all day!...Once I get that cardio back up to pace. I am so excited but am also scared of failure as well.

I am also flirting with a vegan diet, doing some strength training 2xs a week...and of course I am back on my bike. I am riding the slower rides, but gotta start some where right?

I was going to get a membership to the YMCA, I may still do that, but I just hate to spend the money...I did not need a membership to that buffet bar to get this way...but we will see how the next few weeks go before I decide on that.

I do have a question if anyone can help...I entered my strength training work out today, is there any way to get an idea of the calories burned? I see Cardio workout tallies up the calories...but not strength training....???

Lisa
AKA
mlsmathias

Replies

• Aaronc909
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Nice post :). Regarding your question, because it is so hard to accurately count calorie burn through strength training since it depends on the amount of effort put I think your best bet is to get a Heart Rate Monitor for your work-outs and enter in the calories manually.
  • mrandolph112
    Options
    Under the cardio exercises you can search "strength training" and list the amount of time you worked out.
  • eystelle
    Options
    I thought about the same thing and while I was working out today I was reading through MFP Frequently asked questions it says the same thing that MRandolph said! I feel cheated when I log my strength training exercises lol