Heart rate monitors

Options
Which fitness watch is the best? I guess not the "best" but one that is reasonably priced (below $100) and doesn't require a chest strap.

Replies

• tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    not sure about ones without a chest strap--maybe Garmin???
    I have a Polar F6 and at first I was turned off by the strap but it's actually fine. I don't even notice it! and it was $100
  • karlamw
    karlamw Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good Question I need to know too :))) I heard Polar is the best :)
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Polar is the best! To get an accurate reading of calories burned, you'll need one with a chest strap as it constantly monitors your heart rate.
  • slaos07
    slaos07 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just bought a New Balance one with a chest strap at Target for $70. I really like it. I don't mind the chest strap at all (and I'm a relatively large chested girl :) ) and the watch is cute - and small - made for a woman's wrist. I really couldn't even tell I had a chest strap on. I thought about one without a strap but was worried it wouldn't be as accurate and I didn't want to have to continually stop to put my finger on it to measure my heart rate.
  • davidmsheppard
    Options
    I use a polar heart rate monitor with Own Zone range. It is very clever, it gives you fitness tests; calculates your calories; and calculates your fitness zone. Seems to work very well for me.
  • chellis76
    chellis76 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance that I purchased at Target with a chest strap and it was akward at first but now no problem. It was 70 $.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Polar is the best! To get an accurate reading of calories burned, you'll need one with a chest strap as it constantly monitors your heart rate.

Yes you will want one with a chest strap. Polar is very popular. I had a Timex (with a chest strap) before and it was way off.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You need a chest strap or you might as well not use a hrm and rely on MFP. They are both really inaccurate.

I can tell you the chest straps for the Polars are not uncomfortable. You can't hardly feel them.
  • iheartmemories
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I will get a Polar =)
  • msemejuru
    Options
    I love my Polar! Easy right out the box.
  • dmcg123
    dmcg123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've heard of a product on MFP called a "Body Bug" that might not require a chest strap, but I know nothing about it.

When it comes to choosing an HR monitor, it really depends on what you want it to do. You can buy a low-end Polar monitor and it will measure HR and calories. Simple, inexpensive, usually under $100.

I use a Polar RS 400. It can be programmed so you train in specific aerobic zones for a specific amount of time. You can change up your programmed exercises so your body never really becomes patterned by a single routine. I bought mine from Lifetime Fitness, and also had it programmed by one of their trainers as part of a total fitness package I bought from them.

It works great and I like it a lot. You can download your exercise data (you need to by an infrared usb stick, which can be had for about $15 on Amazon) and track performance over time. Lifetime sells them for $250, but I've seen them on eBay for $195, delivered (new, in box). For me, it was money well invested. I've talked with others that have the less expensive Polar monitors and when they saw how the RS 400 worked, they said they wished they had paid for the added functionality.

As you see, it's a personal choice. Good luck!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar also, Please don't waste your money on those watches without a chest strap they are not accurate enough, they are also very hard to use whilst exercising.
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I got the polar f11. The chest strap feels no different then wearing your bra. It also seems really accurate. I think you would love a polar. :-)