Weight Watchers as compared to MFP?

Options
etarre
etarre Posts: 147 Member
Hi-

My workplace is doing a Weight Watchers session, and I'm tempted to join because I am getting married in 4 months, and would like to lose those last 10 pounds that are so hard to get rid of. But I'm torn-- it's relatively pricey and the tools on MFP, for instance, are free and helpful.

For those of you who have done WW before, how is it different that what we're all doing now with MFP? Did you find that it was significantly more helpful in achieving your goals, particularly if you didn't have a lot of weight to lose?

I'd appreciate any information or experiences you can share.

Thanks!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with MFP and wish I would have found it before I got married (i'm 14 lbs lighter now than I was then). I suggest saving your money on WW (i dont like their new system) and spend it on p90x to get a killer body in 90 days just in time for your wedding! Good luck!
  • jessit72
    Options
    I did weight watchers in high school with my mom and while she had great success (she lost 80lbs) I didn't do very well. I feel that MFP not only gives you the option to come on everyday, every hour, any time, to not only write down, but to get encouraged on your weight loss journey. It really is helpful because I know if I feel down, or have a question I can jump on my phone, or the computer and it has everything right here, right now. Whereas weight watchers is a once a week session and that's the only time for you.

Good luck, and Congrats on getting married!

-Never give up-
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers in high school with my mom and while she had great success (she lost 80lbs) I didn't do very well. I feel that MFP not only gives you the option to come on everyday, every hour, any time, to not only write down, but to get encouraged on your weight loss journey. It really is helpful because I know if I feel down, or have a question I can jump on my phone, or the computer and it has everything right here, right now. Whereas weight watchers is a once a week session and that's the only time for you.

Good luck, and Congrats on getting married!

-Never give up-

Yup.

Don't "waist'" your money. Stick with MFP.
  • mprado42072
    Options
    Hi,
    I used WW for about a year and lost 40lbs and promptly gained it back after stopping. I started using MFP just the 1st week of Jan and I'm down 11 lbs already. I like MFP better because you see the real calories and fat in the food you are eating as opposed to WW where everything is points. So when you go off you have a better sense of what you are eating rather than trying to figure out the points. Also my Aunt has been on WW for years and has met her goal weight but still has to go back on now and again to lose 5-10 lbs and she hates the new WW. I love MPF and the best thing is it's FREE! Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • adrienne4791
    Options
    Neverdone WW but from watching friends do it, then ended up wasting their money because they gained all the weight back. I think that comes from not enough support as well...But this is a free site and has great insight on some awesome workouts that help keep that weight off. Not only that, there is a ton of supportive people on here and that makes a huge difference!
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I did WW for a very long time. This is what it did for me: In the beginning I lost weight. Then, I was on my last 10 pounds and I worked out twice a day (cardio in the morning and weights at night). When I got down to the last 10 pounds I plateaued and ww just wasn't working anymore. It basically counts calories, fat, and fiber. So. . .if you track that on here you should be fine. It also made me a little crazy because I was carrying around the restaurant book and the slider everywhere I went. I prefer MFP because I can spend that extra money on a gym membership or new running clothes. WW is good for being accountable because you have to weigh-in in front of other people. Just depends on what you really need. I post my weight on here every sunday morning whether I lose or gain and I have my diary open so friends can view. That helps me stay accountable.
  • lmarquez113
    Options
    I would save your money on WW. I have a few coworkers that do it and are not pleased with their new Points Program. This is my first week with MFP and Ive lost 8 lbs already! I would definitely stick with MFP!!

Congrats on getting married!
  • lilmary326
    lilmary326 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi!

I had done weight watchers on and off for years and years...and I would say that it works. I would always lose about 5 or 6 pounds when I did it...however, it is essentially the same sort of idea as calorie counting...just converted into a points system...if you dont feel like you need the added motivation of the meetings and weigh-ins with strangers (which can help if you need a push!) then I don't think it's worth the somewhat steep price. Also, I think if you only have 10 pounds to lose (I am at that point too, and it is definately the hardest!) I don't know how beneficial WW would be...I think it is more geared towards people who have 20 or more pounds to lose, and need to really learn all about food and nutrition.

ps. they also try to sell you ALL their products constantly...at every meeting I was being pushed to buy their snacks (which are FULL of preservatives!!) and cookbooks and things... I didn't like that.
  • EaglesFan521
    EaglesFan521 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You should join the Brides on a Mission Thread, we are on week 5 but its all brides helping each other get motivated and lose the weight together before our big day. Just search for us!
  • bode1all
    Options
    Really weight watchers is all about portion size, things in moderation, balanced diet and accoutability. I feel through reading others stories or asking questions on MFP you can get more information from such a diverse group of people, some of which have already done the journey, are currently on it, or those who are experts in the nutrition and excersise field and it's more beneficial. and cost effective :-)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My mom and step-dad-in law both did WW. They lost a bunch of weight and gained it all back after they stopped paying for all the WW tools, food and meetings. They're both on MFP now.

They also do WW groups at my work. It's a set number of meetings each cycle. The same people sign up everytime because they all need to re-lose the weight they put on after the last session ended. Many of them have defected though, and despite the fact that our work has a program that reimburses the WW expenses, they stopped going because it wasn't effective.

I've never personally done it before though. I've only ever done MFP, so I can't personally compare.
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I did WW for a couple months before coming here. Their web tools are great! My challenge has always been tracking and they make it very easy. They have just revamped the whole program with a focus on metabolism and all the new "science" out there. It seems to work for many people.

I lost a few pounds, but a friend suggested I check this site out. The difference that I like the most is that here you can track actual nutritional infomation (protein, sugar, sodium, carbs, etc.) and see where you need to make improvements. With WW, it uses the point system and you don't have any of the specifics. While it keeps it simple, I wanted more info to better fine tune my eating habits. On WW, I would have never known how easy it is to rack up sodium if you are not careful!!

I also love that this site is free (unlike WW) and the people here are SO incredibly fun and supportive. That's something you definitely can't buy!

Good luck with your decision!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I have done weight watchers before and I think the plan itself is okay. My issue is the fact that they are constantly changing the plan. I know from a business perspective they need to do this to make money, but it just seems like if the plan was that rock solid they should not have to change it all and they would still be able to make money.

I really like MFP. It is free. The pepple who are on these message boards are an absolute godsend.
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm an old time WW user, used to go to the meetings way back when, but quit that after I found that the meetings were pretty much a waste of time, listening to others tell their stories. I just wanted to weigh in and leave. To each their own, though. Anyhow, I did WW online a few years ago and lost weight, but gained it back over time when I had a relapse. haha I joined WW online again at the beginning of the year, and followed their PointsPlus program for a month, and got tired of looking up the points all the time.

FP has a MUCH better database, with more of the foods that I eat. To me, it's more sensible and accessible than the WW online program. I had less than 20 lbs to lose, and know that I was eating too much under their new program, never in my life could I lose weight on their food allowance. Several people on their message boards said the same thing, that the program is fine for those with a lot of weight to lose, but for those with not that much, it's too much food. WW has many good lessons on how to eat right, for life, but I've heard it before, done it before and frankly, don't need it now. I'm sticking to FP.
  • cjnorman
    Options
    On MFP you can also continue to use it after you have lost the weight. They have a setting for maintaining your current weight. You could never afford to do that with WW.

I say try WW and then if you don't like it you can always come back here. Or continue to use both and see what you think. Are there penalties if you leave the program early?
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    I tried WW online a few years ago. I think it’s effective for loosing weight, but not for making the broad lifestyle changes people need to keep weight off. The point system doesn’t allow you to see what you’re eating in a holistic way. A 1-pont snackwell cookie and a 1-point apple are not created equal, but being on WW makes you think they are nutritionally the same. Using MFP, you can really see the difference that choosing one brand of bread over another can make to your sodium, fiber, or sugar intake. And you can make better and healthier choices for the future. I know when I look at a recipe whether it contains wholesome ingredients that will fit well within my plan. It’s hard to know that when you operate in a world of “points."
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    The best benefit of joining at work would be the group support. You have that on here, at your own time, and probably far more than you'd ever need. That being said, there is something special about having people around you who help hold you accountable. No one that I know is obsessed with losing as I am, so having this site has been a godsend. People may be "dieting," but that doesn't mean they are trying to change the rest of their lives. I am. And I find that WW, although it says it is about a life change, actually has more members who are doing it for a "diet." I haven't found that here. So, I say, save your money, or spend it on a gym membership.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I did WW from Jan 09 - May 09..I lost 43 lbs; left and had a baby in Dec 09; went back from Mar 10 to Sept 10 and I lost another 42 lbs that time (23 lbs was pregnancy weight)...Their old program was basic and simple and I really really liked the leader. She was such a sweet little lady. The only difference in the WW I had and the MFP was the point system. The points were relatively the same...You had an allowance; you gained points by exercising; etc..just like with MFP..

I like MFP better for a couple reasons:

a) MFP is free...WW meetings were $11 a week
    b) MFP is online..WW online is so not user-friendly; costs an additional $10/month and doesnt have HALF of the stuff that MFP has to offer.
    c) MFP's mobile app is the shiz-nit...WW's app kind of sucked.
    e) MFP is online...I dont have to go to the meetings. I can spend that 2 hours playing with my babies or exercising, etc.
    f) MFP keeps better track of your info...it's all online; you dont have to keep up with a book and write everything down, you can create recipies and share them
    g) MFP is online...The MFP community is so much friendlier and more supportive than a group of old ladies (seriously..old ladies can get mad when they dont lose the weight they want)

Ok..I think you can tell i am biased..LOL...but I hope you select whats best for you!
  • JimHeid
    JimHeid Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am wondering, with all the MFP cheerleaders here, has somebody made their own MFP t-shirt?

I think the program is great. My wife and I joined in Dec and it has made a terrific difference for both of us.
    And with the maintenance plan option you can stick with this program!
  • honeybun31
    Options
    I Lost 63 lbs. on WW but slowly regained it back due to a lot of stress in my life. But I did learn a lot about eating better and have used many of the receipes from that experience. MFP is great as long as you are accountable for your food and exercise. Since there is no weigh in and you are on your honor about the program you have chosen I think MFP is wonderful.