Help with sustaining motivation over the long term?

Options
I lost weight before, but as soon as I stopped logging all my food, I gained it back. It seems like I have to be a food-logger for the rest of my life! It is such a bother, you know? I thought I could transition to a no-logging method, where I just make sure to eat my meals on time and eyeball my portions, but before I knew it I was scarfing down all the food in sight.

How I can deal with this awful realization that I will have to log my food forever and ever? Maybe it seems like a silly thing to be depressed about, but the little up-keep tasks of life really build up and wear me down. I always imagined I could finally get to a place where I could relax and "just live" but life is not like that. :(

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I totally understand - if i'm not logging, i'm gaining. Grrrr - i agree that it is very frustrating. :flowerforyou:
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I think having to log food every day is a pretty good trade off for maintaining weight.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Maybe once you get the weight back off you can just continue to weigh in once a month and if you gain more then 5 or 10 lbs go back to logging in until it is gone. Which means you may not have to log your food in forever , just most of your life LOL
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Me too. I thought I could do it on my own, but...nothing was more depressing that coming back to MFP after losing 35 lbs and having to ADD 15 lbs back onto my weight only 4 months later. :(

Support and accountablility are everything for me. Yes, it is a pain to log everything, everyday. But the motivationa and friends I've made, and the renewed success I have had make it all worth it, everyday.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    How long after you hit your goal weight did you quit logging? Habits take a while to establish -- "they" say 30 days, but I really think it's a LOT longer than that. Maybe once you hit your goal weight you need to commit to continue logging your "maintenance" diet for six months or a year before you quit -- and then maybe you should still do it once or twice a week just to keep yourself honest. Maybe giving yourself longer logging food at your maintenance level will ingrain that habit more deeply?

Of course, I speak as someone who has not yet been there...
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if I don't track, I gain. I like tracking on MFP, though. I have an app for my iPod that makes it super easy.
  • wannalive
    Options
    I think having to log food every day is a pretty good trade off for maintaining weight.

Yes, it is.

But it is also a real drain on my mental energy, which is an issue for a low-energy person who suffers from depression, like me. Just getting my bills paid on time every month is difficult, not because of lack of funds but just the mental stress.
  • Othos
    Othos Posts: 33
    Options
    Two suggestions:

1. As themommie suggested earlier, stop logging but keep weighing, and set a "logging weight" that will put you pack on logging. Let's say your "logging weight" is 10 pounds above your current weight; don't bother logging anything until you gain that 10th pound. Once you do, go back to logging until you're at your target weight again.

2. In regards to the bill paying, have you thought about online banking? It's a bit of a pain to setup, but once you do, you can pay your bills online rather than having to deal with checks and stamps and stuff.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options

Yes, it is.

But it is also a real drain on my mental energy, which is an issue for a low-energy person who suffers from depression, like me. Just getting my bills paid on time every month is difficult, not because of lack of funds but just the mental stress.

I totally understand this - I'm a low energy, nerdy bookworm and I struggle with depression. Changing my diet and adding in exercise doesn't make that go away, but it does make me feel a lot more capable of dealing with both day-to-day stuff and stressful situations. Have you found this to be true for you as well?

Have you talked to your doctor? You might want to get your thyroid checked, and adjust any meds you're on. Dark, winter months are pretty tough to deal with, too.

I just re-read what I posted earlier today...I sound like an ad for MFP.
  • wannalive
    Options
    Hmm, continuing to monitor weight and only logging if I gain could work. Good idea.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would add don't slack off on your workouts. That helps you maintain.
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Yes, it is.

If I'm a betting man, and i am, i would wager that sustained weight loss and corrected diet will cure your low energy and your depression. Both are side affects of being overweight. Focus on everything else you will gain as you lose.
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hmm, continuing to monitor weight and only logging if I gain could work. Good idea.
    Nope, then you'll get depressed because you "have to" log if you gain and quit. Trust the plan trust yourself and lod. I log as I am eating. It slows the shovel down and makes me think about the things entering the pie hole.