Chocolate Sponge Cake

Options
I made this cake today for a friend who's diabetic, but as I was looking at the nutrition info, I realized that this could be good for us too! So, I'm sharing the recipe!

Chocolate Sponge Cake ~from Healthy & Hearty Diabetic Cookbook, by the Canadian Diabetes Association

4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa

Line an 8 inch square or round cake pan with wax paper or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, combine egg whites, cream of tartar and salt. Beat with a rotary beater, whisk, or hand mixer until foamy. Add the sugar gradually, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form.

In a small bowl, whisk together the yolks and vanilla extract. Fold yolk mixture gently into the egg whites. Sift the flour and cocoa together into another bowl and fold lightly into the egg mixture.

Spread the batter gently and evenly in the prepared pan. Bake until the cake springs back when lightly pressed, about 10-12 minutes. Loosen the sides with a sharp knife, and turn out immediately to cool on a cake rack that has been covered with a paper towel. Cut into 12 wedges.

Makes 12 slices
Nutrition per slice: 52 calories, 8 g carbohydrates, 2 g protein, 1 g fat, .8 g fiber, and 68 mg sodium

Chocolate raspberry drizzle (I invented this one myself)

1 cup frozen raspberries
2 tbsp water
8 packets equal
1 1-oz bar unsweetened baker's chocolate.

Put the raspberries, water, and equal into a small saucepan over medium heat. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate for about 90 seconds in the microwave on 50% power. When chocolate is melted, stir, then add to the raspberry mixture in the saucepan. If its too thick, add a little more water. Heat, stirring constantly, until desired thickness. Drizzle 2 tsp (hot) over a slice of the chocolate sponge cake.

Nutrition facts for drizzle: 22 calories, 2 g carbs, 1 g fat, 1 mg sodium

Replies

• Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a very yummy but safe way to get a chocolate fix. :)
  • Melisha82
    Options
    i'm totally making this! Thank you :)
  • bluemartini6
    Options
    Sounds good and less calories than the brownies I've been craving!
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Looks great, thanks!
  • bmbellamy
    bmbellamy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Are the measurements right? It doesn't seem possible that a 1/4 cup of flour could yield 12 of anything or make a dint in a 8" square pan!!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Yes, the measurements are correct. Its a sponge cake. You beat the egg whites until they are stiff and fluffy, and GENTLY fold the other stuff in. It looks bigger than it is... lots of air in it!
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Bump because it sounds yummy and will have to try this one for sure, Thanks!