Does this count for water??

Options
I add crystal light flavorings into my water. Does that count for water or does that take away from the value?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It counts. Anything that's not alcohol or caffeinated counts. I personally don't like fake sugar, but as far as your water count, yeah, you're in the clear. :)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    You can count anything as water intake as long as the main ingredient in it is water. Crystal Light just adds flavor to it. You could even count Diet Snapple or even coffee, arguably.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i'd say it counts. it adds what - 5 cals and isn't caffeine or alcohol
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I had that same question about hot tea. I seem to be drinking a lot of that lately -- trying to stay warm without turning the heat way up.
  • Harshberger24
    Options
    good to know! I was kind of wondering the same thing myself!
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options
    You can count anything as water intake as long as the main ingredient in it is water. Crystal Light just adds flavor to it. You could even count Diet Snapple or even coffee, arguably.

that would be counter effective though considering the properties of coffee on your body. I drink my 2 cups per day - and drink 4 cups of water to replace that.
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options
    I had that same question about hot tea. I seem to be drinking a lot of that lately -- trying to stay warm without turning the heat way up.

is the tea caffeinated?

drinking tea is fine but just watch the caffeine amount and drink more water to compensate
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I count anything liquid as water... except alcohol, which I rarely drink. If I drank more than a cup of coffee or glass of soda then I would drink more water to make up for it... but most of my "water" intake comes from water, nonfat milk and unsweet tea! If it is not actualy water, I log on my food diary even if it is 0 calories like the tea.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yep it counts that's the only way I'm able to get all my water in for the day!

3720049.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I count coffee and tea. They are plants brewed in water just because some flavor and antioxidents are added from the plants does not change the fact that it's still water. While caffeine is a mild diuretic, the effects are minimal. Plus, I eat fruit and other foods with water in them, so whatever the caffeine takes away, I get back from the foods. The only beverages I don't count are alcohols.
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yes it does count but I would recommend using lemon instead... if you like lemon add that instead of fake sugars etc. It cleanses you and I really enjoy my water that way!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I don't know if my mid-afternoon Green Tea has caffeine or not, but my mid-morning ginger tea and my evening chai tea (which I make with water & 1/2 cup of almond milk) do not have caffeine.
  • jenhudgins
    Options
    Anything that is non-caffeinated and no sugar counts as water :)
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    According to this: http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/askexpert/cooking-techniques/130.aspx

David Di Paolo, MD, a radiologist at the University of Texas Health Center at Tyler and a health and fitness instructor, responds: It may come as some surprise, but caffeinated beverages (in moderation) do count toward daily fluid requirements. That's according to the 2004 Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate. For years, consumers were cautioned that caffeinated drinks, such as coffee, tea, and cola, had a dehydrating effect on the body by causing more frequent urination. As it turns out, caffeine's diuretic effect tends to be temporary.

There's more to his answer, but ^that^ was the most relevant part.
  • Walkersfaith
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! I was worried about it and I just don't think I could do the water all by itself right now. I will trying the lemon that was suggested. That sounds interesting.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Another flavored water that I love is Propel fitness water. It has about 30 calories/bottle (24 oz) for the kind without artificial sweeteners. It is a nice treat and break from drinking tap water! I always refill the bottle with tap water for the rest of the day and it is a really good way to get in water for the day.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Propel makes the "on the go" powders too...I usually spilt one of those between 2-3 bottles of water so what I'm drinking has a hint of flavor.