Losing weight & drinking fruit juice

Options
Has anyone got any tips on drinking fruit juice? I have 200ml of orange juice every morning (I count this in my calories) but my sugar consumption goes over every day! Is it best not to drink fruit juice and have fruit instead? I am eating around 1200 calories a day and exercising 3 times a week and although I have lost 1lb a week for 4 weeks I thought I would be losing more and I wondered if it was my high sugar intake.

Replies

• EmilyJ1979
    EmilyJ1979 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    orange juice is really high in cals so I would stick with the fruit instead....then you can eat more!!
  • Overton522
    Options
    try cutting that sugar by half every morning by diluting it half and half with seltzer water (you can by a 2 L of it). My husband LOVES juice and wasn't too keen on this idea but now he says he really likes it. a little fizz and still the great taste and benefits from oranges! Best wishes!
  • simplyblessed89
    Options
    You can either dilute the juice a bit, or I enjoy the V8 Fusions every day - they are 50 calories per 8oz cup, plus a serving of veggies! They have many tropical flavors similar to OJ. The Tropicana company has Trop50 with 50 calories per serving as well.
    Old Orchard also offers Healthy Balance juice that comes to about 26-29 calories per 8oz cup with 6g of sugar per serving, so it's easy to stay on track!

Hope that helps! I love my fruit juice too, so I completely understand the sugar and calorie problem it can add to your daily diet - but it is so good!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    the juice doesn't have the same benefits as eating the fruit.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    the sugar might be making you retain fluids and also check your sodium intake and make sure you're drinking plenty of no cal caffeine free drinks. Not sure of the sugar content of juice v fruit as I dont eat fruit but if youre having unsweetened pure juice it shouldnt contain any more than the fruit I would have thought?? 1lb a week is not bad really, did it go on faster than 1lb a week?
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Eating fruit is ABSOLUTELY better for you than drinking juice. The natural sugars in the fruit attach to the fiber of the fruit and work together to fuel the body. So to answer you best, I would say if you LOVE orange juice and want it everyday, you should reach for the kind with pulp. It keeps a good amount of the fiber intact. Also, make sure that juice you have doesn't have any added sugars for corn syrup or anthing like that.:flowerforyou:
  • gmom81158
    gmom81158 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Fruit fills you up more and has fiber! Always better to eat than drink. If I do want fruit juice I tend to drink the V8 versions that are at or under 100 calories.
  • LindieAndie
    Options
    Juice is (almost) entirely empty calories. It takes 3-4 oranges to make one glass of juice, and on top of that it doesn't have any of the fiber that you would get from eating the fruit. Juice is essentially concentrated, fruity sugar.

I like juice, but what I do is buy sparkling plain mineral water and pour 1 part juice 3 parts mineral water. It's like a soda without the calories or bad stuff!
  • ems152
    ems152 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I will try cutting out my fruit juice in the morning and see what happens! I eat 2 pieces of fruit with my lunch and have veg in the evening so will still be getting my 5 a day!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Juicing a fruit is the equivalent of milling a grain into powder. Eat the fruit or dilute the juice, a lot