Healthy meal ideas for beginners?

Options
Im just starting to try to get healthier, but i need some help on healthy meals and snacks to eat. Any ideas?

Replies

• cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    small tin of beans on wholemeal toast! yum, i have it every day
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    there are all kinds of recipies out there,, three fat chicks on a diet.com has some great recipies... smart pop popcorn is a great low cal snack....Lean cuisine steamers are remarkably good and filling they seem to have more food in them than the regular lean cuisine dinners....best advice watch your serving sizes you really can eat what you want if you just read labels. good luck
  • lisabernard
    lisabernard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    do you cook? I just bought Rocco's Now Eat This recipe book and it's full of really good stuff! He remakes comfort foods in a healthier way. It has recipes for pizza, beef stroganoff, all kinds of great stuff!

Try to stay away from the pre packaged "diet" foods in the freezer section. Too much sodium and not enough nutrients.

I bough one of those apple slicers, where you just push down from the top and get a perfectly cut apple.
  • lisapooh1
    Options
    Turkey, eggs, vegetables, anything really. Just watch your sodium and fat.
  • student0007
    student0007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I obtain all my meals on Joy Bauer's website. She's a nutritionist on the Today Show. Check it out! www.joybauer.com
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    if you don't have one already, consider getting a George Foreman (type) grill. We use ours constantly, because you can cook things with it really fast, really easy, and with very little fat. Grill up some chicken breasts in about 8-10 minutes, put some steamed veggies with it and some sort of grain, and voila!
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    My favorite: Easy spaghetti made with Healthy Harvest whole grain spaghetti noodles (they're the best tasting whole-wheat ones I've found, just be sure to boil them the full recommended time). I make the sauce with a jar of Classico fire-roasted tomato and garlic or the spicy tomato and basil sauce and 1/2 pound of browned hamburger meat. One jar makes 4 one-cup servings, so I use one and freeze the other three for later use = about 350 calories
    My favorite snack: 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt sweetened with 1 tsp honey with 1/2 cup strawberries and 1/2 cup blackberries = about 100 calories
    My favorite wrap: a BLT (yes, with three slices of real bacon), romaine lettuce or spring mix with spinach, and 1/2 a tomato. I don't use mayo anymore, but if you want to I suggest olive oil mayo (about 50 cals a tbs). I make the wraps with Original Light Flat-Out wraps (90 cals, tons of fiber and protein because they're made with flaxseed). Total calories = about 220. FYI, I use Flat-out wraps as a substitute for tortillas for fajitas as well, and they make a good pizza crust.
  • asharkin
    asharkin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My sisters & I have a blog dedicated to healthy living / eating. Check it out: http://3sistaslosingit.blogspot.com/
    Another awesome blog with great recipes is: http://www.skinnytaste.com/