Protein and Fiber - How much is TOO much?

Options
Can you REALLY have too much protein and fiber on a daily basis?? How much is too much? I never meet the numbers MFP has set for me...I'm always over quota on those two!! but I NEED them! I can't **** without the fiber, and the protein curves chocolate cravings (esp. when TOM comes to visit). Is it really THAT bad to go over with those two particulars all the time? It would be one thing if I was going over on cals or carbs or sodium or cholesterol or fat, but fiber and protein? I just don't know, so I'm asking. :blushing:

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    MFP goals for fiber are dreadfully low. A better goal is at least 25 grams and 30 grams is better. MFP goals for protein are low. You can change your daily percentage by going to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom, save your changes. I changed mine to 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat. Depending on how I feel, I might lower the carbs and increase the protein again. I also recommend increasing the fiber as mentioned above,and lower the sodium to 2000mg.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Personally I think that the amounts MFP are really low, and you're probably best to change them around a bit and see what works for you :) I've set mine to 40% carbs and 30% fat and protein.
    I wouldn't say there's too much protein, unless you have serious kidney problems, and if you are working out alot you would benefit from the extra protein. The same with fibre, if you feel that you would benefit from the extra then go for it, I'm sure your body will let you know whether it's good or not.
  • remlemon
    Options
    If you have too much fibre it can make you gassy and crampy, and also wont give your body the chance to properly digest nutrients. 20-30g is usually a good amount depending on your size and gender. I also heard too much protein can make you tired. As long as you dont have any symptoms i think you should be fine.
  • Maggiethu
    Maggiethu Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I say "no worries" on the fiber issue. I am always WAY over my fiber as well... I think the guidelines are extremely loose based on the processed/preservative-filled diets most Americans consume. Congratulations... by eating healthfully, it is one less thing you have to worry about :)

You can get too much protein, but you would actively have to try to consume foods heavy in protein and a diet upward of 3,000 calories. Not likely that MFP is allowing you that many calories. Going over your protein is ok... going over your protein by hundreds of grams is not ok. So again, I would try not to worry about it too much. It sounds like you're eating great, and keeping yourself energized and regular- if you know what I mean ;)