Grocery Shopping

Options
Went to the grocery store for the first time since I have started eating healthier. What an eye opener! I started to actually read the labels and begin to make determinations on what I want to eat. Does anyone have any tips for grocery shopping. Since I have a teenager at home, I can not just buy the things that I would like. It was a bit discouraging looking at the labels of things that I normally would buy.

Replies

• adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Best advice I've seen is to stick to the perimeter of the grocery store. That's where you'll find all the fresh fruits, veggies, dairy, etc. All the processed stuff tends to be in the aisles in the center.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    My biggest advice is to try to stay to the outside aisles where the whole foods are as much as possible. Try to avoid anything in a box or bag that isn't in its original, natural state. Stick with fresh produce (or frozen, if it's not in a sauce), fresh raw meats, etc. If you do venture to the inner aisles, try to look for ingredients that you can pronounce and immediately recognize for what they are (as in, no chemical-sounding words).

Good luck!
  • stephilderton
    stephilderton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I clearly remember when I realized what I'd been eating! Before I give you my thoughts, I have some questions for you.

1) Do you eat breakfast/lunch at home or at work?
    2) What kinds of things DO your children enjoy?
    3) Are you a cooking kind of person, or do you prefer ready-made meals that you can just pop in and eat?
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    It's definitely an eye opener when you read what you used to buy and you start to think "well, that's how I gained..". I try to stick to the perimeter of the store when I go grocery shopping and I bring a list of new items to try.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    eat before you go or drink water. have a list from planning menu's and strive to buy items from it instead of impulse purchases unless there's meat or fish on special. try to avoid high fructose items. buy your laundry and paper items at a store like dollar general to save more $$.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Great tips from previous posters on how to shop. As far as your teens go.....I have an 18 yr old son, and you'd be surprised what teens will be willing to try or willing to eat when given the chance. Yes, he still likes burgers & fries, but he likes yogurt, vegetables & salads too. Buy less junk food gradually & see if you notice changes.

:flowerforyou:
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    plan a menu. pick meals that you will be eating and make a list of things you will need.

Plan your snacks, breakfast and lunches. Then plan snacks for you son too.

Make a list. Stick to the list. I usually look at the sales flyer before I plan my meal so I can plan for stuff on sale too.
  • bunnyca1
    Options
    Also read your labels and choose higher fiber foods. They fill you up and keep you that way longer, and your body burns calories digesting them. Just because a package says high fiber doesn't mean it is the best choice. There are big differences when you read the labels. Once you get used to eating this way-the other stuff doesn't taste good. At least it doesn't to me.
  • vixen325
    Options
    hello I know the grocery store can be the pits. I seem to like to go when I know it won't be busy. Then I feel I can take my time and look at every label if needed
  • helenamonks
    Options
    Outside aisles only, aka, meat, dairy, veggies. I eat what I'm hungry for, but for example if I'm hungry for peanut butter, I'll look at all the peanut butter and pick the healthiest one with the least ingredients etc. the more stuff you cook from scratch the better!
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i have a husband and 2 little children, ages 2 and 1. so i kind of feel your pain! my husband eats like a teenager! lol. i guess the best advice i have and what seems to work for me is making sure i make something healthy but also something everyone enjoys. if i can't make that happen, i just have to make 2 different things. i usually plan out my meals and my list according to the local ad that comes out and my coupons (which is mostly to save money, but it helps me find sales on most of the foods i like to buy too). if you have to buy junk.. try to get stuff that they like, but something you don't really like. my husband LOVES doritos, and i don't really care for them so i buy those for his lunches. i buy myself a separate loaf of low calorie bread. i really like fiber 1 bars, and they are sweeter so if i want something sweet, i reach for those. you just mostly have to find what works for you!
  • vixen325
    Options
    Great advice, I heard that some where before not that I actually tried it yet (lol) your very on target as far as $ store We can do it together yes we can!!!
  • pfsmaverick
    pfsmaverick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Some good advice here that I will put into practice.
  • pfsmaverick
    pfsmaverick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Stephilderton - Since I work out of my house, it all happens here. I do enjoy cooking but have some challenges because of working out of the house. Some days, I can go all day an not eat anything. THen when dinner hits, I really eat. Other days I eat way too much all day long. I am working on changing both of those habits and eat regular, planned snacks. Working from home does some challenges.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't have a teenager but my niece continuously gives me feedback. My suggestion is to buy things fresh like the other posters said. Also when you're trying a new recipe, make a little extra so they can "taste". You might be surprised at what they actually do like. And you want to involve them as much as possible so they learn healthy habits as well. I wish my parents would have known better, so they could have taught me. But as I'm learning I'm teaching those around me. Best of luck!
  • stephilderton
    stephilderton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I work from home too. The good news is, at least for me, working from home makes it less likely that I'll hit a drive thru for breakfast or lunch. That was a huge problem for me before. Also, I know the cycle of not eating all day and then being completely starved by dinner time. That's no good. Your blood sugar drops dramatically, making you less productive at work, and making you more likely to overeat and make horrible, lazy choices for dinner. The common misconception is that something like this is lack of will-power. NO! It's lack of energy because you're out of gas!!

Since we're in similar situations, I'll tell you what I do...

Breakfast- Typically 2 HB eggs & a package of Quaker Weight Control oatmeal. I like the maple flavor.

AM Snack- (and I have to FORCE myself to grab one) is typically a pice of fruit... maybe a grapefruit (no sugar) or an apple with 2 tablespoons of low-sugar peanut butter.

Lunch- Either leftovers or a simple sandwich. I like tuna, because it's easy, but I also enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich. I'll usually eat some veggies or more fruit too.

PM Snack- Another battle for me, but I keep it simple and grab 2 string cheese sticks.

Dinner- I LOVE Cooking Light online. It is a GOLDMINE for YUMMY, but healthy recipes. They range from complex and exciting to simple, 5-ingredient quick dinners. I can't say enough how wonderful I find this website. The key is taking the time to plan ahead, and go shopping only ONCE per week (this helps you stick to your diet AND save some money).

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please let me know. Our stories are are similar, that I'd love to help and get help!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have a husband who is pickier than my daughter, but sometimes I think they try to outdo each other. Plus, my husband is allergic to mushrooms, so I have to really read labels.

I have taken to making classic things that they like, but in a healthier way. I buy Barilla Plus pasta for baked rigatoni. I make a chicken and broccoli fettucine alfreado using Ragu lower fat sauce and whole wheat pasta. I make Hamburger Helper Stroganoff (their favorite) with turkey (they actually like it better!). Grilled chicken with taco seasoning and sauteed peppers and onions make for really good tacos/fajitas (look for Paul Prudhomme's Fajita Magic - very good!). I make Weight Watcher Taco Soup (with turkey) instead of chili.

I look at the "Hungry Girl" website every day to get new ideas. Look up the egg mug recipes.

Things I always have in the house: unsweetened applesauce, fresh fruit, raw and frozen vegetables, triscuits, and popcorn.

Hope this is helpful!

Edit to add: If you don't have a deep freezer, get a small one. It is very useful to stock up on sales of lowfat meats.