Fat free VS Sugar free

Options
Which one is better? Why?

Replies

• kdavis74
    kdavis74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't really have an answer but I did a comparison on Coffee Mate Creamer and the Sugar Free had less calories than the Fat Free. I have been using the Sugar Free!
  • xxjessikatxx
    Options
    bump i was asked this the other day by someone
  • helenamonks
    Options
    Fat free is normally just reduced fat, but sugar free means that they have put an artificial sweetener in it such as splenda, aspartame, etc. which are terrible for you. soooo fat free!

actually, if you are wanting something sweet, unless you're diabetic the real stuff is better for you
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I'd say go with the sugar free. More sugar is added to fat free foods to enhance the taste.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    fat is better. Sugar causes insulin spikes which results in cells hanging on to fat. Feed your body fat and no starchy carbs, and you will burn fat.
  • Diannerv
    Diannerv Posts: 195
    Options
    Which one is better? Why?

I am certainly not a dietician but here is my thoughts, I think it depends on what it is. If its processed sugar or fat free I would probably try to stay away from them. I used to drink the sugar free creamers in my coffee but it had more fat. Cause thats what makes it tastes better. If they make something fat free there is probably more sugar added. I do drink fat fee milk in my cereal but not very often. I try to have good fats like nuts, seeds and avacados. As far as the sugar thing I have switched to stevia. I am not sure if there is really a better but will look back to see what other people think. Great post!
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are eating. Unless you're diabetic or insulin resistant, sugar in fruits and vegetables is fine, for example. And we need some fat in our diets for our bodies to function properly.

Processed sugars (white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, etc.) are generally devoid of goodness; they are usually referred to as "empty calories". Processed fats (like hydrogenated oils and margarines which have trans fats) are generally looked upon quite negatively, as our bodies don't know how to process them. Studies show that they lead to heart disease and other maladies.

If you're referring to processed foods in particular (like "diet" foods), I don't think either fat free or sugar free is necessarily "better". When food manufacturers strive to make a food fat free, they often add lots more sugar and salt to make up for the flavor lost. When manufacturers strive to make a food sugar free, they often add artificial sweeteners, which come with a host of their own problems.

Generally it's best to eat a well-balanced diet of real, whole, natural foods that include both sugar (like fruit) and fats (like meats or nuts). Of course this isn't always possible for everyone, but it's a good ideal to strive for.

I think it was Michael Pollan who warned people to be wary of any food that makes health claims; generally, this means the food is not actually healthy for you.
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Sugar free has less carbs than fat free....which, I think, it's always better to have less carbs.
  • BrownSquare
    Options
    I heard you are supposed to stay away from fat free - because in order to make it free of fat they take out the fat and replace it with sugar, which adds more carbohydrates and eventually turns to fat. As for sugar free I believe it can act as a laxative if you consume too much at once! So basically, just use regular stuff if you can. :smile:
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, but the Inuit people here in Alaska eat a HUGE amount of fat, I think I heard it was 85% of the traditional diet. They have less problems with diabetes and cancer than other people groups here. I would be more wary of the chemicals and engineered sweeteners, myself.
  • iverayna
    iverayna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wow thats a lot of great advice and info. Thanks I hate the fact that some things seem so TABOO..