In Need Of Some Advice!!

Options
I need some suggestions. I really want to start working out. My main problem is where to find the time? I'm the type who can excercise before bed if I have to. My problem is I'm not a morning person and by the time my boys go to bed I don't feel like I have the energy to work out. Any suggestions? Should I try to wake up earlier in the morning and doing a workout then??

Replies

• klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    anytime is good - just do it and you will feel better
  • o2blori
    o2blori Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm far from a morning person too, so I understand that. I'm not sure your kids ages, but I have an 8 year old. I follow a set schedule. I go to work from 7-5 and then go straight home and workout for 30-45 minutes the second I walk in the door. Then make dinner and spend time with my family. I know that won't work for everyone, but I know if I sit down to watch tv or eat or anything else that I won't have energy to workout. Just a suggestion. :-)
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I just had to bite the bullet and wake up early. I get up at 5:10 and do Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. I've be at it for almost a month and only skipped once when my 4 year old had me up all night with bad dreams. Some mornings I really have to force myself out of bed, I am not a morning person. At the end of the day I'm glad I did it!
  • Mrs_Deeds
    Options
    My boys are 1 and 2. I'm a stay-at-home mom. I thought about doing it at nap time but recently my 2 year old decided he doesn't need naps anymore.
  • 3agirls
    3agirls Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am a mother of 4 kids myself and the only time I can take for myself is in the early morning. I get up at 4:30 so I can get myself to the gym or walk/run outside. It is not easy to say the least but after I do it I FEEL GREAT and so happy I did it!!! You have to discipline yourself and just do it! I call it my hour for myself and I deserve it! At night I am running kids to activities, helping with homework, etc etc so it is impossible to do any exercise at night.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I do it while my 1 year old naps, but like you, my three year old doesn't nap. I hate to say it, but I use the electronic babysitter. I put on a movie for my daughter and it distracts her for awhile. Often she wanders over and tries to exercise with me. Sometimes frustrating and sometimes cute, but I am doing it for her, so it is good motivation.
  • JRIV60
    JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. I work full time, have a hubby in school and have 2 boys. I too am not a morning person and once I get done cooking dinner, etc. I want to plop my butt in the bed.
    However, for the past month I have done my workouts within 10mins of me getting home. I change my clothes, get my 5yr old settled with a movie and tell my 15yr old I'm going to exercise. He sits with his brother until I am done.

If I do not do it this way it will never get done. You just have to find a time that will work for you and do not ask the family for permission. If the hubby has to watch the kids too bad. You've earned that time and deserve that time for YOU.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    My family and I are on a schedule and it works for us. We're all up at 7AM when my husband comes home from work (he works graves), breakfast, my oldest son (6) leaves for school at around 8ish, my little two boys (3 and 2) eat lunch at 11 and down for their naps at noon (I'm pretty strict when it comes to naps- my ME time)..I do a bit of cleaning and then I work out for about 45 minutes and they'll be up soon after. I have worked out in the evening a few times, but I just don't have the energy to workout for very long.
  • kdavis74
    kdavis74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a relaxing type of Yoga after the kids go to bed. You burn calories, de-stress and breath. The relaxation part is the best and then I can go to bed easier too!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    play with it and find what works for you, you might try writing out a schedule!
    For me, I had to MAKE myself a morning person .... (well, I'm up, it's not like you'd want to try talking to me, LOL!)
    I get up early and workout between5-6am only because otherwise I will not do it, I know I will not workout after work, I just won't.
    Somtimes I'll walk at lunchtime, but not always.
    But I seem to be able to be pretty consistant with my morning workouts
    Hope you find what works for you!!
  • charityfrye
    Options
    im not really a morning person either.....do you work?? if not im sure you clean up after the coffe and all that.......i always work out after cleaning the house for the day..b4 my shower......if you make yourself workout for like 1 week you'll crave it daily......i know i do...im having an affair with billy blanks.lol
  • Mrs_Deeds
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for the advice!! I think I'll have to try the morning routines. That also means I need to go to bed sooner haha. We'll see how it works out!!
  • Mrs_Deeds
    Options
    :laugh: Haha that made me laugh!! I was planning on having a few "dates" with Billy myself!!
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Well I have to be @ work @ 6 am so working out in the morning isn't an option for me. What I do is walk om my breaks and lunch to get some cardio. Then when I get home I do a workout DVD. Maybe break it up into segments until the kids get on a better schedule.