Food Combining ? Not eating starches and protein together...

Options
:noway: :noway: :noway:

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    no starches or protien? what will you live off of? that sounds terrible D: plus you will lose muscle mass as well as fat doing something like that. I would suggest just following the program mfp sets up for you :D
  • Booper83
    Booper83 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    No startch...ok. No protein? How will you workout???? You have to have some protein! Protein is healthy for muscles, your digestion, your skin, hair, everything.
  • LisaSaysHi
    LisaSaysHi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's a concept that's been around for over 20 years. There was a diet book that promoted the idea of never combining starches and protein in the same meal because it claimed your digestion was slowed by "competing" enzymes in your stomach. For example, it was okay to eat a steak and vegetables, but not with a potato or bread. The concept has since been totally debunked by scientific studies, so nothing much to that one!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My aunt was all about food combining for a while. She didn't really lose weight. I understand the concept behind not eating certain foods in the same meal, but I don't think it really matters. As long as you're eating fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low fat dairy, drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day and getting a little exercise, you'll lose weight, regardless of whether or not you eat fruit with dairy or meat with grain, etc.
  • frogetmenot
    Options
    No you can have starches only or proteins only just not TOGETHER ! It's supposed to be better for digesting food.
  • frogetmenot
    Options
    It was from a FIT FOR LIFE book and also Marilu Henner from Taxi wrote one! I have been reading all my diet books that I have gotten through the years ..... lol They say if you don't have floaties when you go # 2 than you have a problem ! gosh this sounds like I'm a looney tune, but just thought I would bring it up! :happy:
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It was from a FIT FOR LIFE book and also Marilu Henner from Taxi wrote one! I have been reading all my diet books that I have gotten through the years ..... lol They say if you don't have floaties when you go # 2 than you have a problem ! gosh this sounds like I'm a looney tune, but just thought I would bring it up! :happy:

Hmmm...

I choose good carbohydrates and always consume them WITH a balance of protein.

Not consuming carbs, or consuming carbs without protein can lead to glucose / insulin spike and crash.
    These spikes will leave you feeling crappy and hungry. No thanks..

When you combine a protein with a carb you slow down the digestion of the carbohydrate (I'm assuming that you are picking GOOD CARBS). This causes a slower release of energy and a higher metabolism.

So, carbs for energy and protein for repair and building.
    Why on earth would you want to separate them???
  • _Bro
    Options
    No you can have starches only or proteins only just not TOGETHER ! It's supposed to be better for digesting food.

Ummm, I don't want them to be digested quickly... (CARBS)
  • frogetmenot
    Options
    Well Grunt, thank you all for the feed back ! I'm going back to eating healthy without combining ! Now I can throw some more books away! I'm just going to crank up my exercise plan... joining the walk for the cure in May where I live and any others that come this way! I FEEL LIKE I HAVE EGG ON MY FACE with this topic but will keep it up for a little while to see how lame this TOPIC was ! lol :wink: :laugh: :happy: :ohwell: :flowerforyou: :embarassed: :heart: :bigsmile: :blushing: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:
  • _Bro
    Options
    Well Grunt, thank you all for the feed back ! I'm going back to eating healthy without combining ! Now I can throw some more books away! I'm just going to crank up my exercise plan... joining the walk for the cure in May where I live and any others that come this way! I FEEL LIKE I HAVE EGG ON MY FACE with this topic but will keep it up for a little while to see how lame this TOPIC was ! lol :wink: :laugh: :happy: :ohwell: :flowerforyou: :embarassed: :heart: :bigsmile: :blushing: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

The walk for a cure is a great cause! Best of luck to you in reaching your personal goals..

Sorry if I came off to harsh / critical :D
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    They say if you don't have floaties when you go # 2 than you have a problem ! gosh this sounds like I'm a looney tune, but just thought I would bring it up! happy

fat floats on water - if your #2 (as you put it) were full of fat they would float. Soluble Fiber holds water, will be heavier and will sink. I don't think I've ever had floaties - at least not in my adult years no matter what I was eating. I've never been a big fan of eating fatty foods, so that might be a part of it.

As for the food combining, Suzanne Summers was a big believer in that theory too. Something about eating fruit on an empty stomach and not less than 30 minutes before eating a a meal. I never could get into that line of thinking so it didn't stick with me.
  • frogetmenot
    Options
    AGAIN THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR FEEDBACK !!! I have all these diet / fitness books i have foolishly bought through the years , when I came across these ... I thought what the hell ??? I thought i would throw out there to see what everyone thought of this concept........ I'M NOT DOING THIS!!! I'm weeding out all my books, hmm Should these books go to GOODWILL or the trash? Anything close to this is maybe eating watermelon by itself, lightly salted... lol :flowerforyou:
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    AGAIN THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR FEEDBACK !!! I have all these diet / fitness books i have foolishly bought through the years , when I came across these ... I thought what the hell ??? I thought i would throw out there to see what everyone thought of this concept........ I'M NOT DOING THIS!!! I'm weeding out all my books, hmm Should these books go to GOODWILL or the trash? Anything close to this is maybe eating watermelon by itself, lightly salted... lol :flowerforyou:

I don't know if it's really foolish to buy them. All of these different methods have to have worked for someone or they wouldn't need to write a book about it. Thing is, people are individuals. Metabolism is individual... eating habits, food allergies and lifestyles are individual. Diet books and products are sold to the masses not individuals. I always tell my kids when they say they don't like something, how do you know if you didn't try it? AND just because you didn't like it the way so and so made it or the way it came out last time doesn't mean you won't like it this time. We don't know what will work for US until we try it. What works for me might not work for you, but might work for your husband or your sister or nobody in your family but your neighbor does great with it. We have to be open to trying new things and seeing how a generic thing can be made personal for us. Just because these methods didn't work for you doesn't mean you shouldn't give someone else a chance. I say if it's not really hurting anyone (like giving away old medicines or vitamins kind of thing) let others have a go at it. People usually don't stick with things that don't work so, I don't think you'd be doing anyone harm by donating the books to Goodwill.

Life is a series of lessons, some learned some repeated again and again until we learn them or can tweak them to fit our individual selves. Knowledge is power. At the very least you'd be educating others.