Counting Calories: A Real Eye Opener

Options
Once I started documenting my caloric intake vs. how many calories a "normal" man my build would need, I nearly flipped! :noway: (hmmm....how many calories would THAT burn up)

Pizza, sausage, McDonald's, and fried chicken several times a week doesn't help either. And ALL my life I've consumed so much Coke, Pepsi, and RC - and not even diet; and those Big Gulps at 7-11 - OY! It is no wonder I'm fat. For that matter, it is no wonder I am not fatter. Thank God I at least exercised occasionally.

Here I go!

Replies

• ranhound
    ranhound Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Once I started documenting my caloric intake vs. how many calories a "normal" man my build would need, I nearly flipped! :noway: (hmmm....how many calories would THAT burn up)

Pizza, sausage, McDonald's, and fried chicken several times a week doesn't help either. And ALL my life I've consumed so much Coke, Pepsi, and RC - and not even diet; and those Big Gulps at 7-11 - OY! It is no wonder I'm fat. For that matter, it is no wonder I am not fatter. Thank God I at least exercised occasionally.

Here I go!
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! And yes, it is truly an eye opener.. I haven't had a fully-leaded soda in 4 months (I lie - I did have an AW for a rootbeer float, once). And diet -- not so good for ya either, lesser of two evils I am afraid!!

Anyway, good luck and here's :drinker: to success!!
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Welcome and Good Luck!

I used to eat fast food quite often, but it's been several years now that I have not. While on vacation recently, I had it twice and I have to say I felt pretty awful afterward because my stomach just isn't used to it anymore. My 6-year old felt really bad, too, and now cringes if I even mention it.......but I guess that's a good thing.

So, those foods may be tempting for a while, but soon you won't even want them anymore! Or suffer so badly once you give into a temptation, that it won't happen very often.

:smile:
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Boy do I know that experience!

I had mentally adjusted myself to a portion of food at meal time well it turned out that a portion was really how much I could get onto my plate. It's embarrassing to wake up to that reality.

Welcome and good luck!
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I realized that with the soda I was drinking. I used to drink about 4 to 5 bottles a day and they were considered 2 servings. That was 800-1000 calories just in drink not even counting the fast food I used to eat. I quit the sodas cold turkey and havent had one in 3 weeks now. You can do it. Now if I go to Wendys I get their southwest taco salad which is so good. My son wanted to go to McD's the other day so I took him because I promised he could pick dinner tonight and I tried to eat healthy but I dont like their salads. I got a grilled chicken sandwich but it had so much mayo on it. I ate just the bottom bun and the chicken and then I asked if I could get a side besides fries and they said no so I only ate about 1/3 of the fries and that was my dinner. I actually moved the fries away from me. I used to biggie size the thing and now I dont even eat all of it.

Connie
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Welcome! When I started I thought-I dont eat that bad. Ok so why am I fat?
    So I laughed and documented what I ate for a week without changing a thing.
    Then I came back here and inputted the weeks worth of food.

OMG!!

I have lost 17 pounds by just following MFP cal intake and adding exercise slowly to my daily routine. I went from channel surfing to 30-50 minutes a day on elliptical machine.

Good luck!! :drinker:
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    welcome and good luck ive lost now 51 lbs with mfp and the people here but before i know i was eating about 3000 to 5000 ever day ( 2 homemade breakfast tacos, lunch hooters and snack then dinner around 7-8 which was fried of course :noway: ) now i follow 1800 a day sometimes less sometime more :devil:
  • Kaybay37
    Options
    It is amazing what we think of as a "good" diet nowadays. I can remember an afterschool snack being a carrot pulled from the crisper! I hadn't had a carrot from the crisper in years, but I knew where the chip cupboard was! And couldn't figure out why I went up a size each year! :blushing:

I just joined on Tuesday and I've already dropped 3 lbs from severely limiting the soda I drink. I haven't given it up totally yet, but obviously decreasing has had a huge impact on my body.

MFP is a fabulous program!

Welcome!!!!!!! :drinker: