Honey or Stevia?

Options
Just curious as to everyone's preference, and why. Thanks.

Replies

• jaybaileys
    Options
    Have you tried Agave Nectar?
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Honey is high in calories. I drink tea almost every day, just plain...no cream or sweetner.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I prefere honey or agave for taste. But if I want lower calories, I use stevia.
  • susioryan
    Options
    Honey. Less processed the better.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of honey, it actually counts as an "added" sugar
  • superjae5
    superjae5 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Honey may be higher in calories, but it has good bacterial benefits that other sugars won't bring you. Plus it's easier for your body to process than sugar. I would read what gelo38 posted. Good info there.

While some things may be lower in calories, like a Coke vs. a Diet Coke, aspartame and other sweeteners may be damaging your body's ability to deal with sugar (high fructose corn syrup is a big culprit). A lot of people say sweeteners make them crave sugar and carbs more than normal, I've found that to be true for me with aspartame. Having a cup of herbal tea with honey seems to tide me over better than even chewing gum sweetened with aspartame (although I know you didn't ask about that, I just think there's more to these unnatural sweeteners than we know).

I'd probably stick with honey.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Honey is actually pretty amazing. It's full of antioxidants and boosts the immune system. It is sugar, so you don't want to eat it all day, but a tablespoon is a decent amount for only sixty calories. The taste of agave nectar or any powdered sweeteners cannot hold a candle.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Agave nectar!! It has less effect on the glycemic index than honey, so it doesnt cause a rise in blood sugar, which would in turn cause hunger and cravings.
    I also use truvia when I want to keep the calories down.
  • Janelle3927
    Options
    I use agave nectar in my tea/coffee/on pancakes but I have heard that honey is good for you which has already been said but also If you buy locally you also have the benefit of making your body more immune to the pollens in your area so if you suffer from seasonal allergies this will help. I can speak from experience and plus fresh honey is soo good! and if you know a beekeeper and/or you ever get the chance to eat honey straight from the comb uugghhh!! TO DIE FOR!! Ok I'm done with my honey rant :)
  • sicembears
    sicembears Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I'm always going over with my sugar and am thinking about substituting stevia for honey with a couple of things.
  • honeybun31
    Options
    Where can I get Agave Nectar?
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Where can I get Agave Nectar?

Costco, Trader Joes and Whole Foods carry it.
  • Curves73
    Curves73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I quit processed and fake sugar last year . I only use honey, agave and maple syrup.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you can get local honey from your area (i.e. from a local market or farmers market) a teaspoon of it a day can actually help keep you from getting sick as well as help calm any allergies that you have because of how the flowers are pollonated with all of those local germs and pollens in the air, you basically build a up a defense from within.

I don't drink anything but water, so I can't give advise on what to use in a drink. But I don't trust any of the sweeteners on the market and would prefer natural honey over any of them any day. And if you can't get a local honey, treat yourself to something amazing like a tupelo honey from the Savannah Bee Company. The taste is so amazing you'll likely need less than you used before (though you'll want more, lol) and it will definitely taste worth every delicious calorie.