How many cups of cooked rice do you get when you use 1 cup o

Options
How many cups of cooked rice do you get when you use 1 cup of uncooked wild rice?

I'm trying to figure out this relationship so that I don't prepare more than I need.

Thanks!

Replies

• mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Tonight I did a boil-in-a-bag rice pack, and it said 1/2 cup uncooked equals 1 cup cooked. I don't know if that's the way it is with all rice, but it's a starting point!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    One cup of long grain white rice, dry/uncooked = about 3 cups cooked

Healthier: brown rice or wild rice (wild rice is not even rice at all)
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Isn't it usually 1 cups dry equals 2 cups cooked? Not sure...but that's what I thought.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    1 cup dry = 2 cups cooked.

I know this because we make rice a LOT. lol...
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't trust cups/volume measures -- it depends how closely you pack it. Weighing is so much more accurate. In terms of weight, I found a 50 g dry serving gives 100 g cooked. This is for long-grain white basmati rice.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I made rice last night and I believe my package sais 1/4 cup dry equals 3/4 cup cooked and it was 150 calories per serving. The package you are using should tell you, usually it does anyway. So one cup dry should be 3 cups prepared. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • fitzie63
    Options
    Description:

* Due to the Dry Roasting process, our wild rice has a one of a kind nutty flavor.
    * 100% Minnesota grown.
    * Dry Roasted Wild Rice® is a delicious accompaniment to wild game and beef entrees. Use in soups, salads, and stuffings.
    * Cooked product can be frozen and reheated in the microwave.
    * Cooks in 45-50 minutes, with a 4 to 4½ cup yield.
    * Approximate cost per ½ cup serving: 26.3¢.
    * ½ Cup Servings per: 1# = 21, 2# = 42, 5# = 105

Wild Rice is an aquatic grass that grows predominately in the Great Lakes region. High in protein, low in fat, wild rice is a tasty alternative to pasta and potatoes as side dish options. Wild rice is also known as Zizania palustris, manoomin, good berry, manomio, folle avoine, squaw rice, water oats, blackbird oats, marsh oats and Indian rice.
  • fitzie63
    Options
    Cooking Wild Rice Using the Stove-top Method

Wash 1 cup uncooked wild rice thoroughly. Add to 3 cups boiling water, salted to taste, in a heavy saucepan. Return water to boil and stir. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 50-60 minutes or just until kernels puff open. Uncover and fluff with table fork. Simmer five additional minutes. Drain any excess liquid. For chewier texture cook less time. Yield: 3-4 cups of cooked wild rice. (For additional flavor, try cooking in beef or chicken broth)
  • Binturong
    Options
    Thank you so very much Fitzie!!

I will try it this weekend with the beef broth. One question though, do you add the calories in the chicken broth to the total calories of the rice if it evaporates?
  • Binturong
    Options
    Never would have thought wild rice was a grass!

I love eating it because it's so filling.

I did check the container to see if they say how much it makes... It doesn't. But I believe the 3:1 ratio is about right.

Thanks again for all your comments!!
  • didyb
    didyb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you use the broth, you need to count the calories. Of course, the calories aren't bad.... but the sodium is horrible. Best to use 1/2 broth (low sodium) and 1/2 water. Remember, leftover rice freezes really well, and that way you can cook once for several meals.