No working out????

Options
I suffered a serious knee injury a few years ago in which I lost my ACL. (yeah its actually gone). Long story short I opted not to have a long drawn out surgery and I now cant do any high impact work outs. In the past two years I have gained roughly 40 lbs. I am 6'5 and currently 290 lbs.

I want to get back to 230/240. Without being able to exercise as much what kind of dieting tips would you recommend for me to get to my goal?

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    You know, losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise. Most people exercise because they can eat more!! Plus it obviously keeps you fit and active and all the other physical benefits.

So, just go on a calorie controlled diet as per MFP and dont eat more than you are expending.

If you can walk, or lift upper body weights then all the better

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • redhottxozk
    Options
    have you tried swimming... hear it is really good for low impact... and burns tons of calories
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    You know, losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise. Most people exercise because they can eat more!! Plus it obviously keeps you fit and active and all the other physical benefits.

So, just go on a calorie controlled diet as per MFP and dont eat more than you are expending.

If you can walk, or lift upper body weights then all the better

Good luck :flowerforyou:

i agree! and best wishes!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I am also limited to what exercise I do due to a medical condition. I walk for 15 mins or 20 mins on my treadmill on an incline of about 5 or 8% and I walk at 6.8-7.0 kph. I have just bought a home gym to see if I am able to do small amounts of weights.

If you add me you will see my diary it may give you some ideas.
  • tamie461
    Options
    I feel your pain oneal. Not only do I have a bad knee, but the last 2 days I have been down with my lower back.

I have bone spurs and some mild disk bulging and when this goes well, so do i.

Also my Dr. told me to watch my Total fat intake and not to go over 40. However I am not getting enough calories. I feel fine just confuse on what to do????
  • Booper83
    Booper83 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Exercise tips: Do slow walking short distances and swim if you can, the pool will give resistance.
    Diet tips: no white flour, switch to whole grains, brown rice, etc. Fresh vegetables, berries as fruit, less dairy, yogurt will help your digestion, no red meat or less, no hot dogs, and I recommend shopping along the outside of the grocery story.
    Hope this helps!

2255748.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    weights, swimming, and walking. You can do it!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    muscle burns more cals faster and more efficiently, so without an ACL and being limited, I'd suggest the following:

1) Lots of FRESH veggies, followed by fruit & nuts, then meat & dairy, then grains.
    2) Swimming, zumba (0-low impact and can easy be modified, very aerobic), bicycling, walking
    And most of all - portion control. :-)

Good luck!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    My ability to work out was also seriously impaired, still hoping to take baby steps back to the land of (low-impact) active, but in the meanwhile...

My best advice is to watch your intake of sweets. Both sugar and artificial sweeteners increase your appetite.
    Read labels and watch out for sugars in "REAL FOODS"
    I have a sweet tooth and would much rather have a cookie than sugar hidden in my "REAL FOOD"
    I forgot to read the label on a LEAN CUISINE meal the other day, turns out it had 18g of sugars in it!!!! That's TWICE as much sugar as my favorite cookies (9g for 15 cookies). It was supposedly only 320 cal for a whole meal, but I was starving all evening.

NutriGrain Bars are advertised as "HEALTHY" but they have 11 different types of sugars. Out of the 37g serving size 12g is sugar.

I have also found that if I have a diet (yes, diet) soda there is no way I ever have the willpower to stay in my calorie range.

If you want a sweet treat save it for the end of the day.

So that it doesn't trigger the more you get the more you want cycle.

The other thing is PATIENCE. Keep it slow and steady. If you cut back a little for a long time, you more likely to be able to sustain dietary changes. It's taken me 7 months, but I'm now a healthy BMI. And I did it without feeling deprived.

Anyway blathering on too long as I'm prone to. Good Luck
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise/rebounding-for-detoxification-and-health.htm

I have one of these and I love it, it's really easy on my joints, and great for your lymph.

Ven
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    What about using an arm bike for your cardio? You can really work up a sweat on those things and build up your upper body at the same time...
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 8 lbs with only walking and occasional swimming for exercise due to an old knee injury that didn't really allow me to exercise heavily much until I had managed to shave off a few pounds. It is entirely possible to lose weight without heavy exercise-- it just takes a really strict focus on the diet changes. :)
  • cherlinden
    Options
    Core training is no-impact on one of those big balls. My husband is disabled but still able to do balance excersizes that strengthen his core and help to bring up his metabolism. You can find cool ideas online.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 30lbs/three pants sizes without doing a single day of exercise.