When is it too late to eat?

Options
Im trying to shift my life into a 5 meals a day thing, but I have a question. At what time does it becoming too late to eat?

Some dietary sites ive read said that a good time to stop anymore consumption is around 7pm. This is normally when i eat since i go to the gym after work.

I read somewhere, that your last meal of the day should be 4 hours before you go to bed.

If this is the case, what should i be eaten? Fruit and veg? I presume no heavy carbs or such?

Help help im confused :tongue:

Replies

• Im trying to shift my life into a 5 meals a day thing, but I have a question. At what time does it becoming too late to eat?

Some dietary sites ive read said that a good time to stop anymore consumption is around 7pm. This is normally when i eat since i go to the gym after work.

I read somewhere, that your last meal of the day should be 4 hours before you go to bed.

If this is the case, what should i be eaten? Fruit and veg? I presume no heavy carbs or such?

Help help im confused :tongue:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I dunno.
    I'm under the impression that if you gained more weight by eating late, we could beef up starving kids in Africa by feeding them after midnight.
    While I don't think it matters how late you eat, I do think it matters how long you keep your body upright after eating (meaning, not napping or going to sleep afterwards).
    I think I've always heard to eat 3 to 4 hours before bedtime.
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    I'm swamped and behind this morning, but I'll try and find a study that was done on this. If I remember correctly it makes no difference as long as you are not going to bed absolutely stuffed. Total calories matter.

Non-scientifically and anecdotally, I never go to bed hungry. If I do I'll lay awake all night. Sometimes I teach until 9 or 10 at night and then bike home. I'll have a second (small) dinner of ~200-300 calories. Although I have a healthy BMI, I'm trying to lose a few pounds gained recently. My eating pattern has been the same for years, it was my exercise pattern (severely reduced) that changed. My dh and children also have a snack before bed and are all lean and healthy.

This was a study done on animals
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/02/060202080832.htm
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    I think the 3-4 hour rule is about right. It gives your body time to digest before you go to sleep.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I always heard two hours before bedtime. I want to say I heard it on Oprah, from Dr. Oz. (love him). But I'm not sure either. Personally, I do the two hours before bed.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    There is no proof that eating before bed makes you gain weight. However, for sleep's sake it is recommended not to eat within 2 hours of your normal bedtime. So if you go to bed at 9 every night then 7 would be a great time to stop but if you go to bed at midnight 10 pm should be the cut off time.
  • I'm swamped and behind this morning, but I'll try and find a study that was done on this. If I remember correctly it makes no difference as long as you are not going to bed absolutely stuffed. Total calories matter.

Non-scientifically and anecdotally, I never go to bed hungry. If I do I'll lay awake all night. Sometimes I teach until 9 or 10 at night and then bike home. I'll have a second (small) dinner of ~200-300 calories. Although I have a healthy BMI, I'm trying to lose a few pounds gained recently. My eating pattern has been the same for years, it was my exercise pattern (severely reduced) that changed. My dh and children also have a snack before bed and are all lean and healthy.

This was a study done on animals
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/02/060202080832.htm

Thanks for your link. Quite an interesting read.

Al thought I was thinking of having my main calorie intact during the day anway.

thanks all:glasses:
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    There is no proof that eating before bed makes you gain weight. However, for sleep's sake it is recommended not to eat within 2 hours of your normal bedtime. So if you go to bed at 9 every night then 7 would be a great time to stop but if you go to bed at midnight 10 pm should be the cut off time.
    That's what I'm thinking too, plus it's important ( at least for me) to eat a lighter meal. If I don't, I have nightmares all night long. Lean meat some veggies and maybe some pasta for dinner would be ok.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    When is it too late to eat?

I'm guessing when you're dead.

2013.gif smart-*kitten*