Cooking and Freezing for Future Meals Ideas

Options
What's your favorite thing you like to make and freeze for future meals? Looking for new ideas.

I usually make a big pot of chili or soup and then freeze single servings for lunches or quick dinners.

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    lasagna, spaghetti, muffins, cassaroles/hotdishes.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    I use a vacuum sealer and do several proteins (salmon, chicken and lean beef) portioned and cooked & seasoned, then I make a couple starches (brown rice, cous cous, ww pasta) and a veggie or two (usually broccoli or squash), then I put them in portions into vacuum seal bags, and add a simple tomato sauce to them.

These are in the fridge or freezer for days I don't have time to make a good meal. They aren't always exciting, but my body appreciates them...
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I order from these people. They premake then I freeze and finish. Thought maybe their menu may have some ideas for you.

http://www.dinnerstudio.com/menu
  • btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I made rice and beans the other day- can be added to soup, hotdish, or used as burrito/taco filling!
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    From your picture I assume you also add cheese to it...
    I made rice and beans the other day- can be added to soup, hotdish, or used as burrito/taco filling!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I use a vacuum sealer and do several proteins (salmon, chicken and lean beef) portioned and cooked & seasoned, then I make a couple starches (brown rice, cous cous, ww pasta) and a veggie or two (usually broccoli or squash), then I put them in portions into vacuum seal bags, and add a simple tomato sauce to them.

These are in the fridge or freezer for days I don't have time to make a good meal. They aren't always exciting, but my body appreciates them...

And I appreciate your body. Nice picture (sorry for the sexual harassment, but come on! You are asking for it with that picture!!!)
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    I busted my *kitten* to earn that sexual harassment, and it's very much appreciated!

And I appreciate your body. Nice picture (sorry for the sexual harassment, but come on! You are asking for it with that picture!!!)
  • garden_girl18
    garden_girl18 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Soups are great! I also make and freeze homemade chicken stock (drastically cuts down on the salt intake!) and pesto. These are great if you need a quick soup or pasta dish. Freeze the stock and pesto in ice cube trays for easy portion control. I have also done lasagna ( I buy the tin cassarole dishes from the dollar store, they work great and don't use all your good dishes), shepards pie, meatballs, spaghetti sauce, burritos and pizzas.
  • Alison128
    Options

Was that comment intentionally rude?
  • Jwirl
    Jwirl Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Was that comment intentionally rude?
  • Jwirl
    Jwirl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i think he was talking about the packers they are the cheese heads lol
  • Alison128
    Options
    hahaha okay if it were me I totally would have taken that the wrong way.. clearly :blushing:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Um... everything! :wink:

Pork chops, any way you prepare them.
    When you roast a chicken, pull off the leftover meat from the carcass and stick it in a bag in the freezer for chicken salad later.
    Any kind of chicken.
    Roast with veggies (potatoes and celery don't hold up too long in the freezer, but it should stay good for a month-ish before they get too smooshy)
    Pancakes, waffles, french toast, etc.
    Homemade chicken nuggets and tenders
    Scrambled eggs

Really, almost anything can be frozen. Veggies that are watery or starchy will often get mooshy if you leave them in there for a long time, but I've stuck them in the freezer and brought them out within a couple of weeks and they're still all right. There's always the option of slightly undercooking your veggies before freezing, so they don't get gross during the thawing and reheating process. For some items (like pancakes, waffles, and chicken nuggets) you'll need to spread them out on a cookie sheet and freeze them that way before putting them into a package. Otherwise, they'll get stuck together and they'll get destroyed when you reheat them. Basically anything made of bread, or any kind of breading, needs to be frozen individually like that before you package it. Waxed paper is also your friend for things like pancakes to make them easy to separate if you just want to use one at a time.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    Ha! I re-read that and can see how a non-Midwesterner may have seen that as being very cruel! Not at all, I was giving her a hard time about being a Wisci and a Packer's fan (aka Cheesehead). Guess it was a comment that needed some clarity on a fitness website!!!
    hahaha okay if it were me I totally would have taken that the wrong way.. clearly :blushing: