Nauseous when working out..?

Options
Today during my workout I started feeling kind of nauseous and generally uncomfortable. This of course just snowballed into a "i'm stopping halfway." end to my session.

I have definitely before worked out so HARD that I have felt nauseous (yeah kettlebells!) or had my heart beat so fast I felt faint.. But this was a definite sick feeling.

I always make sure I plan my workout at least an hour after I eat and I wonder if maybe today an hour just wasn't long enough? I had a spinach salad with my lunch, maybe it was taking it's time digesting...Wondering if anyone else ever gets this feeling.

Afterwards I felt really "burpy" and like my stomach was full of gas or something. (the painful stomach kind not the "flatulence" kind haha)

Maybe I'm just crazy and looking for excuses!

Replies

• Wendy72
    Options
    I don't think it is really too much to worry about unless it starts happening all the time. I have vomited several different times over the last couple of years when I have intense workouts. There is nothing abnormal about it. If you watch the show Biggest Loser and Heavy they are puking from time to time.

Usually for me it is when I push myself farther than I have before in a workout and BAM it hits me.

Could be from the food you ate too. If I have a little OJ before a workout it seems to hang in my throat the whole time. Might take some trial and error to figure out if it is the food.

Wish you the best!
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, it's the build up of lactic acid in your body that is causing the nauseousness. I had that happen when I first started boot camp. I literally had to take a plasting bag with me to each session so I could puke when I needed to. Depending on how long you've been going at it. That feeling could take anywhere from 1-3 weeks to get over.

But if you stop for any long periods of time, expect it to come back again. :sick:
  • Bojangles79
    Options
    It happens to me when I workout after a long lay off, especially if I attempt a total body workout with weights. I've read that the reason why it happens is because the body is not able to efficiently pump blood to all the muscles being used. If you're working your back and legs, which are your largest muscle groups, your body is going to have a heck of a time keeping them going if it hasn't done it in awhile, or if just really hasn't done it at a certain intensity level. The body compensates by taking blood from internal organs or pumping less blood to them, for the muscles being used. Thus the feeling sick and, what has happened to me several times, throwing up. I also get burpy, nauseous and my ears pop. It takes me about 15-25 minutes to come out of it.

I've found it only happens for the first few tough workouts, or first hockey game of the year, and after that I'm okay. I have no idea if any of this is true, but it's what I read a few years ago.
  • I had that happen to me once when I was working with a trainer. She just had me sit and drink lots of water. She said it takes the body time to get use to the change.
  • kbellnurse
    Options
    So i think I worded my post wrong.. What I was trying to get at - is that I am not new to working out. I have been active for several years, and some days I do workouts with pretty high intensity. So i understand that sometimes nausea is a result of over exertion. But this isn't the kind of feeling I had the other day.

It was distinctly different, I was working out hard, but it seemed like something else. I'm going to just chalk it up to being from eating too close to exercising and hope it doesn't happen again. thanks for all the responses!