Grocery list must-haves

Options
I am getting a little bored with my typical groceries, and plan on doing some shopping tomorrow. What are some of your must-haves? Something I might not typically think of? And feel free to include how you use them. Thanks!

Replies

• BrandNewMia
    Options
    I can't see your diary to see what you've been eating, but my staples are fruits and veggies. I always shop produce first and literally buy anything that looks like it is in good shape, lately I have ended up with a lot of - cucumbers, tomatoes, red potatoes, broccoli, bell peppers, sugar snap peas, romaine hearts, apples, bananas, grapes, oranges/clementines... Nearly everything is enjoyed fresh and raw. I like to scoop out the insides of the cucumbers and fill them with cottage cheese, and spread peanut butter on apple slices.

I also like low sodium english muffins, I poach an egg and make my own Egg McMuffins with a slice of cheese and half a piece of deli ham (this is my latest breakfast obsession!). Special K Cracker Chips are AWESOME if you are looking for a chip, and only 110cals and 230mgs of sodium for 27 crackers.
  • naturalnyne
    naturalnyne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One grocery item I must have is Wild Alaskan Salmon Filet. I buy them frozen. They are individually wrapped, so I can take out just enough for my hubby and I. I then lightly season and bake on a cedar plank. Low calorie, low fat and heart healthy!
  • Colleen1980
    Colleen1980 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow cheese wedges. Around 35 calories and you can spread them on crackers. Yummy snack!! I've also discovered Nature Valley Granola thins...little squares of granola with chocolate on the back. Only 80 calories but they feel like a cheat to me, so tasty. I know the feeling of getting bored at the store--finding a new treat can really give you a boost! Good luck! :-)
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Fresh Peppers (green, red, yellow), mushrooms, bean sprouts,broccoli. I always buy these because I can always make a quick stir-fry or a great pizza when my week gets hectic! I also use Naan bread to make pizza its so yummy!
  • holly0623
    Options
    Edamame beans!!
    They are reallly good, and you can eat them as a snack of put the in your foods.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, sweet potatoes, bee pollen

pretty standard and boring.. but i never claimed to be exciting hahaha
  • jrk11
    jrk11 Posts: 3
    Options
    Egg whites with some red peppers, mushrooms, spinach and laughing cow cheese wedges for a breakfast omlet. Sliced turkey breast and whole wheat pita for lunch. salmon or chicken breasts for dinner. everly protiein powder for supplemental protien. This all assumes that you know that it's not all about cardio exercise and diet for losing weight. It also includes increasing muscle mass with some weight training to increase your metabolic rate. Muscle burns a lot more calories than fat !1
    Good luck !!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    A few things I always buy everytime I go to the store: (well maybe not everytime but @ least 4x's a month)
    Cottage cheese (mix with hard boiled eggs, mustard and optional relish makes delicous egg salad sandwitches- but I love cottage cheese plain)
    Blue diamond unsweetened vanilla alomond milk
    Quaker weight control mapel and brown sugar oatmeal
    bananas
    orgainc oranges, apples and carrots :) Yummy
    tuna
    salad mix

Some things I buy for the month:
    Frozen boneless skinless chicken breast
    haddock and or tilpia fillets
    Naturally more Pb
    honey
    box of wheat crackers

Stuff that I buy bout twice a month:
    Vegan beans
    black beans
    kidney beans
    annies organic salad dressing

Hopefully this list will get you a few ideas.
  • Fresh Peppers (green, red, yellow), mushrooms, bean sprouts,broccoli. I always buy these because I can always make a quick stir-fry or a great pizza when my week gets hectic! I also use Naan bread to make pizza its so yummy!

great post, just started making stir- fry last week.... while Pita pockets make the perfect mini pizza's
  • 1ofthegang
    1ofthegang Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I like to scoop out the insides of the cucumbers and fill them with cottage cheese

Ummmmm....Yum! I never think of cottage cheese but I will get some just for that!

And thank you everyone. Great ideas! Keep 'em comin'!
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Frozen mixed veggies, salad greens, blueberries and/or clementines, almonds, and organic butter top my list. I pretty much must have those things in the house at all times :P
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Love the light laughing cow cheese with crackers or grapes or both... such a treat. They are also great spread on asparagus,after you boil'em a little, you spread and wrap'em with procciutto and bake (nice side dish)
    sugarfree pudding, skim milk cheese sticks, fruit of course. Cantaloupe and honey dew with cottage cheese
    Nuts
    Quinoa (add vegegetables like to a pilaf) very easy, fast and healthy.
    Bulgur wheat
    Make omelletes for dinner with lots of veggies and some eggwhites (can't have it all white myself)
    baked Kale chips (oil spray, lite seasoning, 10mns or less in oven)
    have you tried green smothies?
    greek yogurt with agave, nuts and some dried fruit (and maybe a few semi sweet chocolate chips)
    Don't know if you're looking for snacks or meals...
  • ms_hawk81
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Sara Lee Delightful Whole Wheat Bread
    Oat Meal
    Frozen Veggies
    Mini Carrots
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Mixed frozen berries - great in yoghurt for dessert or porridge in the mornings.
    Roobis or redbush tea - it has a sweet cinnamon/aniseed flavour and no cals - perfect for after dinner
    Rice and Rye bread - full of fibre but no wheat - perfect for avacado on toast in the morning
    Frozen veges definitely - so much easier at night
    Fresh fish - wrap it in tinfoil with olive oil, lemon juice, red onion and garlic then chuck in the over for 10 - 15
    Feta cheese - perfect to add a bit of oomph to salads :)
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Cous Cous, Avocado, Beetroot (for roasting with onions potatoes and carrots), vanilla redbush tea, mini chocolate ice cream cones.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Portabello mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, red leaf and romaine lettuce, celery, carrots, tomatoes, onions (red/purple, sweet, and yellow), fresh peppers (all kinds), apples, cherries, pluots (when in season), double fiber bread, bagel thins, sandwich thins, fat free cream cheese, peanut butter, reduced fat mozzarella, Swiss, pepper jack cheeses, horseradish, mustard, hot sauce, egg whites, salsa, fish, lean meat, spices...yeah.

That's not what I buy all at once, though I have once or twice.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    A staple for me has been the yoplait delights caramel yogurts...so yummy, like a real sweet treat. I also keep sliced apples in my frig ready to go and chia vanilla tea for something sweet as well. I also found some rice crackers at walmart that r low in calories and they go well with just about anything. I like to have Alaska salmon fillets individually wrapped in my freezer and i put one piece in a foil pouch and cook for about 25 min. and I like to keep the single servings of brown rice by minute rice to go with that salmon. Quick and easy.
  • ccoulter
    Options
    I love jerky, so I bought a dehydrator and use ground beef to make my own jerky. It taste great, is very filling, high in protein, and low calories. The new popcorn chips in the white cheddar flavor is good too. They have fewer calories than Baked Lays and taste better to me.
  • bullmastifflover
    bullmastifflover Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    BREAKFAST: oatmeal, blueberries, cinnamon
    SNACK: Hidden Valley Ranch Dip (packet), sour cream & dip with sugar snap peas, carrots, broccoli
    LUNCH: chicken breast, red potato
    SNACK: mixed greens, avocado, homemade greek dressing
    DINNER: chicken breast & brown rice
    DESSERT: mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)