Good frozen veggie/vegan burger?

Options
I am a vegetarian and am currently using Boca Vegan burgers. They are DELICIOUS and a great addition to my dinner, but I am really put off by all the additional ingredients. Im looking for something a little more natural, or else I am just going to not eat them!

Anyone have a good brand they use that is more natural?

Replies

• RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    I love Morningstar Farms spicey black bean burger, but I really don't know about additives, or if it has any ingredients that would make you feel uncomfortable. But its very good - versatile. We eat it a lot broken up over nachos, mixed into omlettes, or on a bun. :laugh:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure they are all highly processed and have undesirable preservatives and other ingredients. Also, the Morningstar Farms products are made with genetically modified ingredients.

Edited to say that Martha Stewart has a good recipe for lentil burgers, just search her website.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of most of flavors of the morningstar veggie burgers. Bocca burgers seem to be a migraine trigger for me.
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    You can make your own black bean burgers.
    1. Grind bread in blender to make bread crumbs
    2. Toast in EVOO with whatever spices you want. (make sure you use lots as this has to spice the black beans too.
    3. Drain beans and rinse well.
    4. Mix beans and bread crumbs together (use your hands)
    5. Shape into patties and fry in EVOO.
    6. Enjoy! These are super yummy and easy to make!
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    Also I don't know how natural these are, but if you have an M&M Meats they have delicious veggie burgers.
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    this is a great question! I am a vegetarian and have purchased the MorningStar brand for a few years without even thinking about it--then today, I looked at the box and couldn't believe the huge list of stuff that was in it. I would have been better off with some Applegate Farms meat!!
    I will be checking this thread out and hope to find some suggestions.
    Thanks for asking!
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    What is an EVOO?
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    Options
    What is an EVOO?

I believe Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • skinnyack
    Options
    Dr. Praegers... I agree making your own is better but if you want something packaged...
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    All the vegetarian/vegan books I have read really discourage you from buying the processed/chemical foods (i.e. Boca, Morningstar).

I agree your best bet is to make from scratch. I've seen burgers made from sunflower seeds, but I don't have the recipe. Sorry!

Two awesome books I've seen about the "healthy vegetarian/vegan" lifestyle are "Color Me Vegan" and "Crazy, Sexy, Diet".
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    Do you have any current info on this? I did an internet search and couldn't find anything earlier than 2001 referencing this. Just want to make sure my info is current. Don't want to expose my family to something that is altered. Any resources would be appreciated. :)
  • paroxysm
    Options
    we eat a really good one made by Don Lee Farms. It's a Veggie Pattie (not burger). they are delicious. i dont have the case in front of me but i seem to remember them being quite wholesome as far as ingredients. we keep them in freezer bags as we buy them in bulk so i dont have it handy at all. sorry. worth checking on though!
  • paroxysm
    Options
    we eat a really good one made by Don Lee Farms. It's a Veggie Pattie (not burger). they are delicious. i dont have the case in front of me but i seem to remember them being quite wholesome as far as ingredients. we keep them in freezer bags as we buy them in bulk so i dont have it handy at all. sorry. worth checking on though!
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of boca burgers, but I DO like either morningstar asian veggie patties or the tomato/basil pizza burger ones.. Those are excellent when I'm in a pizza sort of mood :)
  • richars65
    richars65 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I gave up pre-packaged veggie burgers b/c they are, on the whole:

1) Too expensive
    2) Packed in sodium
    3) Unsatisfying and bland =/

That being said, my first months as a vegetarian, I survived on these things. A few that I may splurge on are:

1) Morningstar Spicy Black Bean
    2) Amy's (any variety, especially their Texas something-or-other)
    3) Boca Spicy Chicken

Please make sure and be thoughtful about these options. There are so many readily available and amazing recipes online and there are entire cookbooks of nothing but veggie burgers. Some of my favorites are lentil & sweet potato, quinoa and kidney bean, bbq mushroom, falafel, etc. Most range from 120-200 calories, 1-5g fat, 100-300mg sodium per burger.

*Helpful hint: try eating your burgers over a bed of sauteed veggies, raw spinach, or a small baked potato in lieu of a bun. Lose the empty calories of processed bread products and use them for something nutritious!