Seriously... I'm better than you

Options
What would you tell me if you came to me telling me that you're struggling with your weight loss process, whether is because of diet, workouts or both, and I told you, sorry, it is just that you don't have what it takes and I do, I'm better than you! Would you be happy with that answer or would you be affected? Probably, if it comes from someone who's close to you, you'll let those words affect you, maybe even if the person is not close to you. In some other cases you won't care about at all.

So here is what I have to say to you. Besides specific cases where someone has a condition whether is physical or medical, we ALL are equal when it comes about our anatomy and physiology. What I mean with this is that beyond what you can think, we all are capable of doing the same exact thing if you have to will to do it. The only thing stopping you from achieving your goal is yourself, in other words, your mind. You need to understand that your mind is a very strong weapon that can work with you or against you, but you have control over it, no one else does. So if you tell yourself that you can't do something you won't, and if you tell yourself you can do something you will. If you ever watched the movie "The Matrix" there is this scene when Neo is fighting Morpheus and he can't beat him, the Morpheus says something that trigger what followed during the fight, and what he said was "don't think you are, know you are". There's a difference between thinking and knowing. If you think you can do something, you'll find yourself trying to find out whether you can or not, but if you know you can, even when you haven't done it before, then you'll do it.

We all have the same goal here and is to lose weight to that point where you are happy and comfortable, but you MUST understand the equation in order to succeed and not quit. You expect results fast when you gained weight over a long period of time without effort. That is the first thing to take in consideration. You gained those 20, 50, 100 or whatever the amount of extra pounds you have over a long period of time by eating unhealthy, excessively and by being inactive, so trying to lose all of that weight in a short period of time takes a lot of effort, and sometimes the "short period of time" doesn't mean exactly 90 days like with P90X. Why? Because maybe you're completely out of shape when it comes about physical activities, or maybe you just have way too much weight to lose. The good news is that hard work pays off, and no matter how much you can do today. Actually whatever you do today will affect you in many ways, two of them are, allowing you to get stronger and develop stamina making you do more and better tomorrow, and the second is by making speeding up your metabolism so even when you're not working out your body still burns calories. My point is, it is human nature to get frustrated and wanting to quit because we don't get what we want right away, but if you look around, and you ask those who used to be overweight and now are in shape, what was the key to their success, the answer is "commitment" and with commitment quitting is out of the equation, because no matter what you will work hard every single day, giving the best of you to achieve your goals.

It is good, to have people encouraging you, but learn how to motivate yourself so whenever you don't have anyone around at a certain moment you still do your best. So am I really better than you? No I'm not, unless you decide to believe I am, but even then I will only be better than you to your own eyes, but not to the rest of the world :)

A piece of advice, don't try to understand how things work when it comes about calories and how they're affected by workouts and diets, you need to realize that these things are not something you learn in one week; if that was the case people wouldn't have to go to the universities and study for years to become nutritionists, or experts in such matters. Even if you were to get a certification in a vocational school, you still have to study for months, so trust the tools you use provided by this website among many others, pay attention to how your body reacts to what you're doing and modify to increase your results, remember we're all different and things doesn't always work the same for everybody.

Peace!

Yassel

Ps. Based on some replies I got, I'm not saying people shouldn't learn and educate themselves about what to eat and what not, or how many calories, and what will that affect. When I said don't try to understand how things work I'm talking about a more complex explanation of how our metabolism works starting from a molecular level from the moment we start chewing a piece of bread until reaches the rectum.

Replies

• cameragirl20
    Options
    thanks love the post the only one so far that makes sense to me since I'm usually the girl who tells myself I can do it and most of the time I do but I am now like u said it don't take instant to lose what has taken us years to be but thanks for the post glad there are people like you :)
  • geeky1
    geeky1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Worth the read :)
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    A piece of advice, don't try to understand how things work when it comes about calories and how they're affected by workouts and diets, you need to realize that these things are not something you learn in one week; if that was the case people wouldn't have to go to the universities and study for years to become nutritionists, or experts in such matters. Even if you were to get a certification in a vocational school, you still have to study for months, so trust the tools you use provided by this website among many others, pay attention to how your body reacts to what you're doing and modify to increase your results, remember we're all different and things doesn't always work the same for everybody.

I think people should make an attempt to be as informed as possible. Just trusting any tool is dangerous; without researching things ourselves, how are we supposed to know what's more likely to work? For example, starving yourself to lose weight is just common sense because your body is gonna eat up all that fat it stores for periods of famine, right? But in reality that's way off. It *seems* like it should make sense, but it doesn't usually work that way; you're liable to lose a bunch of muscle if you don't watch it, and that's bad news.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    cameragirl20, thank you for your words :)

kwirky, thank you :D

elid, knowing what you're doing is a must, and researching from different sources is what I always recommend, but a lot of people want to know step by step the whys and that takes more than just one post to explain how the body works going all the way to a molecular level :) that's what I meant. So yeah, to use the example you mentioned, starving is a huge mistake, and there are easy ways to explain that, unless you really want to go deep into more than just a simple explanation.
  • rautaty
    rautaty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Actualy, studies show that overweight people have higher metabolism then slim ones. Also, most of people when writting their diaries underestimate by 40% their daily consumption! it means they eat snacks that they forget to write down or their portions are bigger then they wrote down.

We are equal, so the only factor i can think of that can vary our BMR is the age and sex, but with exercise you can keep it up.

Sience is crucial in understanding things, it's like a tool, how can you work on smth without tools?
  • UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    While I agree mostly with what you said, I think a lot of people on MFP could benefit from advices on nutrition so I disagree people shouldn't look into understanding how calories work. Lately I've seen a number of people wondering why they were not loosing weight anymore ; yet when you look at their food diaries, you see stuff like frozen pizzas, Taco Bells, soft drinks and 5000 mg/day of sodium.

People either need to be better educated or be more honest towards themselves. Or maybe a bit of both.
  • Brady_
    Brady_ Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bumpidty
  • glittersoul
    Options
    Great post! Thanks :)
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Like I mentioned on a previous reply, I'm not saying people shouldn't be educated about food, I was talking about the complexity of things when getting deeper into the topics of calories, etc.

So yes, they NEED to know how the calorie factor affects their progress, but honestly I'm not going to go scientific on trying to explain that a calorie is the energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius and that there are 4.2 joules in every calorie, etc :)
  • UneJolieFemme
    Options
    Like I mentioned on a previous reply, I'm not saying people shouldn't be educated about food, I was talking about the complexity of things when getting deeper into the topics of calories, etc.

So yes, they NEED to know how the calorie factor affects their progress, but honestly I'm not going to go scientific on trying to explain that a calorie is the energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius and that there are 4.2 joules in every calorie, etc :)

No, you don't need to, we had enough of that in basic high school physics class, thank you ! :laugh:
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Yeah I put a tablespoon of peanutbutter on my whole wheat bagel, and yeah the amount of peanutbutter might be slightly more since it's not flush with the spoon. SO WHAT! Good post.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    No, you don't need to, we had enough of that in basic high school physics class, thank you ! :laugh:

Then "Lately I've seen a number of people wondering why they were not loosing weight anymore ; yet when you look at their food diaries, you see stuff like frozen pizzas, Taco Bells, soft drinks and 5000 mg/day of sodium. " is more of they knowing the basic from high school and not wanting to pay attention to it LOL
  • rautaty
    Options

Actualy, i disagree. It's general knowldge, it's like knowing who Napoleon was. People are unhealthy because they don't know how their bodies work, and that's why we see them blaming their failed attempts on slow metabolism. It's discouraging when you work on smth with no help, and all those mixed messages are not helping. Like diets like blood type or atkins or anything else that limits their food choices.

This site is a great help for those that have no idea how nutrition works, but anybody should know the basics like what's a BMR, what is BMI, that to loose 1pound u need to create 3500 cals deficit. People need to calculate and learn how many calories are in foods they eat in order to make healthy choices.
  • UneJolieFemme
    Options
    Yep... well I don't believe those people I was refering to necessarily represents most people on MFP. I gave pretty extreme exemples, but I sincerely believe if people were a tad more honest with themselves (and their diaries) they would see more results. Anyway, great post :wink:
  • UneJolieFemme
    Options

Actualy, i disagree. It's general knowldge, it's like knowing who Napoleon was. People are unhealthy because they don't know how their bodies work, and that's why we see them blaming their failed attempts on slow metabolism. It's discouraging when you work on smth with no help, and all those mixed messages are not helping. Like diets like blood type or atkins or anything else that limits their food choices.

This site is a great help for those that have no idea how nutrition works, but anybody should know the basics like what's a BMR, what is BMI, that to loose 1pound u need to create 3500 cals deficit. People need to calculate and learn how many calories are in foods they eat in order to make healthy choices.

I agree. Knowledge is power. We would probably function better as a society if nutrition was a high school mandatory class. It would save at least a couple bucks in healthcare fees... But that's another debate, when I get this philosophical it's time for me to go to bed... night night !
  • YassSpartan
    Options

I agree. Knowledge is power. We would probably function better as a society if nutrition was a high school mandatory class. It would save at least a couple bucks in healthcare fees... But that's another debate, when I get this philosophical it's time for me to go to bed... night night !

Knowledge is power, I couldn't agree more, but people want to know without grabbing a book and reading it (except for those stupid diet books out there that are best sellers and honestly they're far from giving a proper nutrition education). It is kind of like the working out part, they want the results right away without working out hard, well if you don't want to read about nutrition don't expect to know how everything works, but at least try to get an idea of how things work so you know why you're doing what you're doing
  • rautaty
    Options

Knowledge is power, I couldn't agree more, but people want to know without grabbing a book and reading it (except for those stupid diet books out there that are best sellers and honestly they're far from giving a proper nutrition education). It is kind of like the working out part, they want the results right away without working out hard, well if you don't want to read about nutrition don't expect to know how everything works, but at least try to get an idea of how things work so you know why you're doing what you're doing

I agree this time! ppl are lazy! lol they want quick fixes, but that's another topic of disc. :)
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    I agree this time! ppl are lazy! lol they want quick fixes, but that's another topic of disc. :)

yay you agree LOL
  • jodie1306
    Options
    Well said. :wink:

Our minds are a powerful powerful thing & we have no concept of how much of our lives they have control over. And the irony of that is that WE have the power to change it all. We just need to make the decision that we are not happy with what or who we are & we WANT to change. We are the minority in this thinking though because so many people get stuck in a rut & they are usually the ones who run us down with their words & comments about how we'll never make it or achieve it or change it. And when we are low, this hits home big time. We can do this & we will do this. We need each other cause we are all on this website to make those changes. If you don't have anyone out there to rely on, turn to MFP cause they are here, the people who are facing the same struggles & fighting the same fights.

Stay strong & think positive. :flowerforyou:
  • kuntrygurl
    Options
    Well worth the wait. Thanks for the encouragement! I am one of those people who takes it personally. I need to just let go and do it, no if's, and's or but's about it.

Thanks again, Babe!!!!