Pre-menstural weight gain

Options
i'm on a 5wk cycle and about a fortnight before i can feel my insides preparing for the inevitable :(

my stomach bloats from my rib to pubic bone and i look about 5mths pregnant. also i put on about 4lbs in weight.

this has only happened since i hit my mid 30s and i'm wondering is there anything i can do to ease it? i'm not sure if there's something i'm eating that's aggravating it. i have a relatively healthy diet and don't eat bread.

i'm thinking more water??

thanks everyone!!

Replies

• petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    That happened to me last month, I was feeling horrendous. I drank a truck loads of water and try to lower my sodium intake. Also...believe it or not, I worked out. I was doing Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and I didn't want to skip any days so cramps or not, I was going to do them. Shockingly, exercise actually eased my cramps! I don't know why or how but working out really soothe the pain!

Tiffany
  • beedezra
    Options
    i read some articles regarding a female body's reaction prior & during the Mdays. The body will have a higher level of water retention. That doesn't mean we should consume less water, the water retention is temporary, so drink as per normal, plain water or lukewarm is best. Once the Mdays is over, then everything will return to normal. Some articles do advise women to avoid crunches or abdominal workouts, but i think nowadays, hardly anyone follow this advise. i strongly suggest a morning or evening stroll in a nature park cos it does helps me a lot in my relaxation for the mind & body especially during my Mdays, i just give my body a short break & it feels good. I do gain weight during my Mdays, but once cleared, i am back to normal, i am 36 years old, hope this helps! c",)
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I can really sympathise I have anywhere between 6/7 week cycle and have been since my 20's (quite a while!) There have been a couple of times when I eat right (more protein as I eat little meat) that it has went down to 5wks but on the long term it would seem I just got lucky those times. I also start gaining weight from around week 3 or 4 and can gain 4/5lbs. There was not as much gain this time whether because I am drinking my 8 glasses of water in a day and excersising??? Dont know if there is anything in there to help or not?
  • Inpjs66
    Inpjs66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I always get extremely bloated and horrible cramping. Drink as much water as possible and definitely try to avoid the sodium as much as possible. I've woken up with extremely puffy eyelids and fingers after eating low sodium the night before.
    As far as your exercising during those days, it does relieve the cramping. The whole purpose of cramping is due to your pelvis contracting causing muscle spasms. Exercise always relieves it because your working those muscles even walking.
  • thestrand
    Options
    thanks everyone - i'll keep an eye on my sodium intake - i dont add salt to food except when i'm boiling veg so i'll start checking for it on food labels.