Sugar intake... how much??

blondie1238
blondie1238 Posts: 182
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
How much is too much?? I just added sugar onto my foods so I can watch how much I'm taking in, and I'm already close to my allotment that MFP gives me, just from breakfast, and I only had a little bit of jam on my english muffin and a piece of fruit! How are you supposed to cut it down sooooo much?

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    You want to stay away from all sugar! Regular simple sugars and artifical sweetners. Fruit is ok 1-2 pieces a day, Sugar is sugar and if your trying hard to loose body fat you want as little as possible. Detoxing and gettting off sugar is the hardest thing for people to do. It is an addiction just like anything else bad for you can be.

I would stay with 5g or less in foods your eating except fruit and only do 1-2 pieces a day. 25-30 grams a day. Again when your trying to loose body fat. After you meet your goal then I would consider adding in more Natrual sugars like honey, agava, real maple syrup ect
  • Funny, I just started tracking sugar yesterday as well. I picked up a book by Jorge Cruise and he is all about reducing our sugar intake. He recommends that we take in no more than 15g of sugar per day. My milk in the morning is 11g alone! It's a whole new way at looking at eating and it is a lot to wrap my head around all at once. Anyway, his book is full of great ideas. I figure that even if I don't go for his plan all the way, I can at least get ideas on how to cut down on sugar. I've been on a plateau for so long, I am willing to try just about anything!

Best of luck!

Jennifer
  • The past week I started tracking my sugar as well. Each day I am over in my total. I am amazed at how much sugar is in fruit. Its very hard to find food that is only 5 grams of sugar in a serving.

In a post "what to eat before and after working out" I read a cup of chocolate milk after....well that has 22 g of sugar in a cup....woosh!

I have been on a plateau for the entire month I've been logging in on MFP. I have always been active and watched what I eat but wanted to really get serious to take off some weight. I've tracked all my food and workouts to stay on track. Anyone have some suggestions????? I'd say I'm desperate!
  • Crazy... I could live on fruit, but if it has so much sugar... yowza!
  • After being extremely frustrated by the limited suger with this diet I did some research. 40g is the guideline for 2k calories, but that is suggested that it is ADDED sugar. The way it was explained to me is that an apple may have 19g or natural sugar - doesn't count. However, a coke with 41g of added sugar would immediately put you over your total. This seems to make sense. I am not counting naturally occurring sugars found in raw foods, only processed foods or sugar that I add intentionally.
  • Over the holidays, I read Jackie Wagner's "This is Why You're Fat!" (horrible title for a book...I bought it as discreetly as I could :-o).

She believes sugar is what makes us fat--too many calories in, not exercising, and way too much sugar. And some other things, but you're primarily concerned with sugar. She suggested keeping sugar intake to no more than 5 g per whatever food it is you're eating. Apparently there is some type of research out there that suggests the body doesn't really recognize sugar intake until it goes over 5 g, then it converts the sugar to fat.

I'm loosely paraphrasing and I don't have the book in front of me, but now when I grocery shop, how many grams of sugar is one of the first things I look for on the label. If it's something astronomical, like 30 g, I put that thing back on the shelf.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    I started a low fructose lifestyle a few days ago. only eat things with 2gr or less of sugar except milk!...25-35gr is what is recommended. You need to eat fruits that are low in fructose if your trying to lose weight even eliminate them for a while, you can get the benefits of fruit in other foods!....fat free, low fat, and diet foods are the worst!.....My best technique is "question everything!"
    sugar does more bad than just expand our waistline, so we need to be careful, manufactures are tricky!
This discussion has been closed.