What would you do?

Options
I have a slight dilemma. I've been working out every day, and my legs are really sore. They just get worse every day that I work out. So I had planned a rest day today to let them heal a bit -- I just planned to do some stretches to help work out the soreness and otherwise not worry about it. But yesterday I had half a pizza for dinner (no excuses, I had planned for two slices and an apple or two, but instead I just ate more pizza and no apple) so I went WAY over on my calories. So I kind of feel like I should try to work out a little to counteract that mess, but I really don't think my legs can take it. What would you do?

Replies

• carissaxoxo
    carissaxoxo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would give my legs a rest. Try to be really strict today. Drink lots of water and eat low calorie foods. Lots of veggies!
  • Cardinal
    Options
    I would agree, you need to rest. Perhaps you are pushing it too hard too fast. While I commend your desire, passion and drive, you need to be careful to also not over do it.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    if there is a pool near you , you could go swimming for half an hr? less strain on your legs etc

hope that helps

best wishes
    Kirstie x:flowerforyou:
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Do you have like a YMCA pool available?? If you do you could swim some laps. Or just get in a brisk walk. Even going to a store and walking around the aisles can burn calories. Or maybe just do an upper body workout, and stay away from your legs. Hope these suggestions help some.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Rest your legs. Your muscles need to recover and grow.

If you feel really bad about the pizza, just go for a walk.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I would give your legs a rest. As for as the pizza...we all have our cheat days, as long as there's not too many, your ok.
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    give yourself a rest day and then maybe try swimming - my legs killed after the first time i did the powerplate workout set up by my gym for me so i took 2 days off and then did some gentle swimming for 30-45 mins for a few days so i was still getting exercise but it was a lot gentler on my achy muscles! definitely helped my recovery as well :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. There's no pool near here that I know of -- it's a really small town, and I'm pretty sure our little gym doesn't have a pool. I think yo'ure right, I should just rest them. I can take a walk, I just can't do squats and things like that. I could certainly stand to get out of this house anyway. :) I had planned to be strict with the cals anyway today, so I'll just focus on that and worry about good exercise tomorrow.

It's funny to think of "taking it easy" though -- it's not exactly as though I do crazy workouts. I'm just so ridiculously out of shape. It makes me feel slightly ashamed, especially because I used to be pretty buff for a girl. But, it took a looooong time of being lazy to get this way, so it's going to take a long time to get back to where I want to be.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I kind of don't look at individual days so much but look at my whole week.

It sounds like you've made a great effort with your training. :flowerforyou: I'm also having a rest day today as otherwise my legs will divorce me. But I've already done something like 8 hours of training this week so I'm not at all worried about eating a bit over 1200 today as I know across the week it'll all balance out.

Rest your legs. They will thank you for it by strengthening, and can work for you extra hard next week. :wink:
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You could do some kind of arm workout? My EA Sports Active (Wii) has a great boxing activity that works your arms, and I'd bet you could find an approximation that you could do yourself by Googling.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I agree with the walk suggestion. It will get blood moving to legs and help the soreness a little.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Meghan, I have Sports Active 2, but I haven't figured out how to customize workouts! :laugh: I've just been doign the cardio kickstart. I do have Fit Plus and it has boxing. Maybe I'll do that. :) Thanks for the suggestion!