Too much Protein and Fiber?

Options
Here's something I've been wondering about. All the numbers in my food diary work out just fine except for my protein and fiber. My calories, sodium, sugar, carbs - they are all in check. But my protein and fiber are both always over. I know these are both generally considered good things, but is it ok for them to be over, sometimes way over, every day? Can I be having too much of a good thing? I'm on a 1200 cal/day diet and If it makes a difference, I don't eat any meat, poultry, fish or eggs. So the protein is coming from other sources.

I want to make sure I'm not sabotaging myself. Can anyone with knowledge on this subject weigh in?

Thanks so much for you help!

Replies

• bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I usually try to go over on both as I find they are set low. I try for min 25g of fibre :)
  • Benjr755
    Options
    mine are sometimes over but I am still loseing 2.5 pounds a week'
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Mine are the same! But I'm still losing weight so I guess it doesn't really matter.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should worry about those, because I've read a lot of nutrition articles that say we should be eating much more than the recommended amount. Protien especially if you have working out.
  • paulmmichaud
    paulmmichaud Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is...good for you! My fiber is a lot of times over but I'm eating a lot of stuff that has fiber in it, along with lots of protein. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're still losing your 1-2 pounds a week.

Paul
  • twentytwobecky
    twentytwobecky Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my protein. I asked my dietitian about it and she said as long as your liver is healthy going over on protein is fine. I know animal protein gets further broken down in the liver, not sure about other sources of protein.
    The protein will slow down how fast you use your carbs, so it makes you feel full longer and you don't get a blood sugar or insulin spike.
  • knakau
    knakau Posts: 29
    Options
    thought the fibre was needed to keep us 'moving' health experts always moan we don't get enough of the stuff, if you eat too much it will just move on out faster me thinks ;)
  • stefa777
    stefa777 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to the breakdown, I beleive these are just guidelines! You can also change what you want it to track, i.e., I track Cal, Fat, Carb, Sat. Fat and Sodium not protien or fiber. I also believe it has to do with the way you are approaching your weightloss.

FYI= There was a recent study that showed weightloss has everything to do with the calories you take in not necessarily what you eat! http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/health/nutrition/26diet.html# --I mean OBVIOUISLY if you are taking in 1200 calories of candy it is going to be dificult to lose weight because suger does not hold you over like a protient or fiber, also it turns to fat if you don't work out so I believe that would slow the progress.
  • paulmmichaud
    paulmmichaud Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    @stefa777 Interesting article. I don't have a specific "diet" I am doing. I am just making sure that my calories are always where they need to be for the day. If that requires more exercise I do that. I pretty much feel nothing should be off limits as long as you are still within your daily calorie limits. For example I had a Panera bagel the other day. Did I freak out about that? No, I didn't because I was still well within my calorie limit for the day.

Paul
  • Jonasutti
    Options
    I aim to exceed these two "goals" everyday, especially since I am trying to work out a lot and training for a half-marathon in May. To make sure that you lose fat, not muscles, protein is vital. I am also vegetarian and eat a lot of quorn, which is almost only protein and fibre, and I recommend it to everyone else who is on the same "mission" as I am.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Your body can't store protein, so if you consume to much, you just excrete it--although extremely high levels can put stress on the kidneys (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_(nutrient))

Excess fiber will also pass (no pun intended). Some people experience problems with bloating and excess gas--which might be uncomfortable and/or socially awkward, but not unhealthy. And fermentable fiber (e.g., beans other veggies that give you gas) will reduce mineral and nutrient absorption in the gut, but this can be overcome with a multivitamin (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_fiber#Dietary_fiber_functions_and_benefits)