Breastfeeding and Weightloss

Options
I am still nursing my 14 month old part-time (2-4X a day). I hate to make this an excuse but--- I really think that breastfeeding is holding me back. I've been at this for a month now and have lost 1lb--- no, I'm not hitting it HARD--- but, I'm only eating 1,200 calories and I'm working my butt off exercising. I feel like, because I'm nursing, my body wants to hold on to this fat! Release me!

Replies

• bangarangbree
    Options
    That very well may be the case. Also, maybe your body wants more than 1200 calories a day? Everyone's body is different, and if your body needs more than 1200 calories a day to be happy and healthy, then it may be holding on to every last calorie it can get. What is your daily allowance from MFP? You should eat ALL of your calories, and most of your exercise calories so your body doesn't think there isn't enough food to go around!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I agree, you might want to increase your cals a slight bit. Even nursing only a couple of times a day burns calories, so if your net is too low your body isn't going to want to let go of those energy stores because it'll think you're starving. Maybe increase by 100-200 cals a day, plus eating back any exercise calories, and see if that helps.
  • bangarangbree
    Options
    After searching around online, I have found totals between 400 and 600 calories burned a day breastfeeding. You should probably factor this in. One website said you should eat 1800 calories a day to make up for this!

Also, any stress from raising baby may be a factor! Try to find ways to relax, this will help to stop your body from retaining that weight and make you a happier mommy! And make sure you're eating healthy food, not easy-to-grab food :)

http://www.ivillage.com/can-breastfeeding-make-you-gain-weight/6-n-137207
  • celeja
    celeja Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your feedings? You get about 20-30 calories back per ounce of breastfeeding (if you type breastfeeding in the search bar when logging your food, it will come up). I am still breastfeeding my 16 month old and I just estimate how many ounces she gets. My weight loss has been slow too. I think our bodies hang on to fat (think of it from a survival point of view- our bodies don't know that we have access to food/water, etc and are probably hanging on to some fat in case of famine, etc....sounds silly but I think it is true). I am also having a hard time with my calorie restriction and I think I need a little bit more per day, even when accounting for breastfeeding. Hang in there, you are doing so much for your baby by breastfeeding!!! :)
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    I was the same when I was breastfeeding, I don't know if there's any research to back it up, but I think that some women do hold on to their fat. Not all, but some, maybe it's a genetic thing. I changed shape, but the scales didn't budge. I didn't do measurements, but I could see that I was a different shape, my waist started to pinch in. I followed WW and visited the gym 3 times a week (individual programme). After 12 weeks I'd have expected to get at least a little lighter, but I didn't budge a pound. Looking back I realise that I should have been less focused on the number on the scales and more focused on the nicely shaped body I was cultivating. On the bright side, at least you're not gaining, so when your little one decides to wean you will have less to lose and will already have good habits.
  • briar_rose
    briar_rose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am nursing 4-5x/day and while I don't think it has held me back I definitely had to work for the weight loss. Make sure you are eating at least 1200 cals/day and drinking at least 8 glasses of water. Also make sure you are eating at least some of your exercise calories. Good luck!
  • KenzieKidwell
    KenzieKidwell Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was one of the unlucky few who did not lose a pound while breast feeding. When I stopped is when the weight started falling off!!!
  • thepurplestar
    thepurplestar Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was the same too- didn't lose a single pound until I stopped feeding (was mixed-feeding until 6.5 months), then I lost about 16 pounds in the next 6 months :)
  • chrissyinqueens
    chrissyinqueens Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! What I used to lovingly refer to as my 'maternal stores' just will *not* go away. Granted, I've only been at it 3 weeks, but it would be nice to see some movement on the scale...
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    im going back a few years now but when i breastfed it was hard to loss weight, but as soon as i stopped i seemed to drop 10lb with not even trying.