USA portions

Options
Whenever I've seen programmes from the US about food and dieting etc. The portions seem to be massive! Is it really like that in America? Or exaggerated somewhat. Some places here in the UK can certainly pile it on the plate but not like some ive seen on TV. The American meals seem to come with a whole lot more in the way of side dishes - coleslaw and a bit oif rocket is as about exciting as it gets here.

Am planning a trip to America in a couple of years ( when I no longer live in mortal fear of being told I have to buy two seats on the plane)

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    No, it's not exaggerated, and it's not your imagination. There's this idea in America that "bigger is better," and it refers to everything from houses to jewelry to food portions. Somewhat ironically, it doesn't refer to body size -- we want to eat more food but have a smaller waistline, which makes no sense at all.

That's why a huge diet tip for Americans is to immediately box up half to two-thirds of your meal at a restaurant before you even start eating. Because the portion sizes really are that inflated.
  • sevangelista
    Options
    THe portions really are much too big in the US. The driving factor as you might imagine is $$$. THe cost of food realtive to the price of a meal is very low. They way the resturants raise prices or at least justify the raise in price is by giving you MORE MORE...All you can eat in fact in some places. Becasue the more you eat, the more you drink and profits from drinks are HUGE.

To combat this, its best to order 1/2 size portions which of couse are only 80% of the price:)

Good luck, it looks like you are well on your way
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't eat out. Way too much food. Even the salads are bad for you.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Portions are insane here!!! If you go out to a restaurant you've doubled what you "should" be eating. My son's plate (ordered from the child's menu) is normally more than an adult size portion. I watched a show the other day that showed what size the "normal" burger sold in the 1950's was and it was the size of our "junior burgers" We would love for you to come see our beautiful country!! Just make sure you never clean your plate LOL!!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Yes you're correct things seem to be bigger here. It's amazing that we all wonder why we struggle when it's about the food and the price and you go where you can get the most. Really?!

Can't wait till you visit the states. Hope you enjoy them.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to eat loads at the same time, definitely a picker. There is more of a culture of doggy bags though isn't there? We don't seem to do that much here so a lot gets wasted
  • sherrisluzinit4good
    Options
    I totally agree with ajweekley... the "standard" American diet is a BIG part of our problem with weight control. Massive portions at restaurants is what we are served. It makes keeping your weight down very hard because you almost start to believe you are supposed to eat this way! I try to leave half on my plate when I go out to eat. Mostly though, we don't go out but once or twice a month. The rest of the time it is eating as close to natural as we can. I am a firm believer in eating natural food and a lot less processed stuff.
  • crissi66
    Options
    Unfortunetly, meals here are usually big enough for to be shared by two full grown adults. Most restaraunts here serve everything on massive plates and just pile the sides on. Be it pasta, potato's or anything. Its kind of sad. when you grown up with this unrealistic concept of what portions are supposed to be.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Portions, especially dinner portion are about 2-3 times bigger than they should be. It's ridiculous! I never finish a restaurant meal in one sitting.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I have been to the states a few times and yes the portion sizes are huge and scary! Also the food is more sugary and you don't get vegetables as part of a meal, they call them 'sides' and you order separately!! How weird is that? lol I found it incredibly hard to eat well when we were there as a family, but we were in Florida each time so that is a generalisation and is only my experience. I was DESPERATE for a nice bit of cheese, some decent bacon and some fresh veg after my last trip! I just found finding a meal like I am used to very hard.
  • Ssminey79
    Ssminey79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's pretty gross. However, the new thing restaurants are doing is 'tapas', which is pretty nice, in terms of portion size. However, if you want "smart" portion sizes, those tend to be the restaurants that you are going to be paying for not only the food, but the presentation as well-so those restaurants tend to be more expensive. BUT the food is usually better quality. America is kinda bassackwards when it comes to food. We keep getting bigger, and we know it, and we want to fix it, but we still want bigger portions. And bigger cars to fit our bigger bodies :)
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    While I agree that portion sizes tend to be way to big in restaurants, you can find plenty of alternatives with normal portion sizes and healthy menu choices if you do a little research ahead of time. I eat out quite often since I am on the road a lot but I manage my choices and plan what I order ahead of time. That helps a lot. So, while a lot of what you see on TV is true, every restaurant in the USA isn't Man vs Food type dining either.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Portions in American restuarants are HUGE! appetizers they bring out are ment for sharing but if you don't share or only with 1 other person you can easily consume 2-3 servings of it! The best option is to ask for a doggie bag/container and put 1/2 of the meal in there before you even start eating. Sodium levels in restaurant foods is also outragous--salt is in everything and you will go over your daily limit in 1 meal! A lot of restaurants also provide nutritional information-you can ask them for it or you can search it online. Its best to plan your meal when going out so that there are no surprises later.

I believe that the portions are so huge because that is what is expected by many. If one is to go out and eat they expect a huge amount of food for the price they are paying. Just an example-a new brunch (breakfast and lunch) restaurant opened up by me serving decent portions and healthy food. People started complaining how $$ it was and the you don't get enough food for what you pay for. The problem is that many people don't realize what 1 serving of food is supposed to look like and they are used to eating 2-3 times that amount in one meal. People want a lot of food for cheap!

There are a lot of healthier restaurants available but be prepared to pay for them--they do exist and are delicious. A trend in my area is using organic foods and local farmers.

TV shows depicting restaurants are outrageous and the ones that I've seen always show a competition ex man vs food. where the guy goes to a certain restaurant and eats their challenge meal-a ton of food in a certain amount of time. Usually enough food to feed a family of 4!
  • carolyne2
    Options
    I suppose I am being a bit dim here but couldn't you just ask for smaller portions when you order?:smile:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I suppose I am being a bit dim here but couldn't you just ask for smaller portions when you order?:smile:

Not always. Sometimes you can order a "lunch" portion, but even that is usually pretty large. They don't price and serve by the ounce -- it's the whole plate, take it or leave it.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It is not exaggerated. I always got enough that I could eat half and be stuffed and still have a whole other half of a meal to take home.
  • ruth1104
    ruth1104 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    From my experience I'd have to agree with you about US portion sizes, but the UK isn't so far behind :S I never really thought about it, except that I've just moved to the netherlands, where most 'national food' is either sugary and baked or covered in breadcrumbs and deep friend, and people genuinly do fry things more! But compared to walking down any street in the UK, people are noticably thinner and it seems like it has a lot to do with a culture of moderation, with drink as well as food. Sometimes that seems boring and a bit joyless! But it does make it a bit easier to lose weight, as long as you can say no to the amazing baking!
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    Truly, you can't win. Portion sizes are HUGE! honestly... i like to order kid sized meals... they are often plenty, if not more then what an adult should eat. And of course they charge you extra because you're not a kid. It's BS.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    After posting this I read about the PB & C. A milkshake by the cold stone creamery in Arizona that has 2000 calories. Has anyone heard of it or had one? What does it taste like? I think I'd like just a bit of one