exercise every day vs every other day

Options
Is exercising every other day just as good as exercising every day. I've noticed a lot of people on here exercise every day. I'm wondering is that what keeps you going. Or if it matters which one you do. I try to do every day but some days I just can't do it. So I been at least doing every other day. Doctors say every other day for 30 mins is good. So does it matter? Or is it just personal preference if you want to exercise everyday or every other day. Comments or suggestions anyone?

Replies

• marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try to sweat every day! Vary your workouts but try to do something you enjoy every day for a sustained period of time! It will keep you happy and motivated!
  • sarahaha
    Options
    I'm not sure if it matters, but I aim for six days a week with sundays off. But man, is it hard to drag my butt to the gym on fridays. Sometimes my mind and body just get fed up with monotony of the gym, even when i'm mixing up my cardio and lifting time. But every other day probably gives your body nice time to rest, giving you even more energy to work extra hard when you do get back to the gym. I'd say it might be a benefit it you're really pushing yourself the right way.
  • caroline1851
    Options
    More often, the better. Of course it matters. Is your heart getting healthier if it's worked 3 days a week or 6? If you have time to do more often than every other day, then do it.
  • callmefor911
    callmefor911 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have exercises everyday.. but I always on a few days do the wii sports.. like tennis and boxing stuff that is fun but still moving..
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I aim for 5 days a week and give myself Friday and Saturday off (I live in the Middle East and our weekend is Fri & Sat)
    There are sometimes where I can only make it 4 days due to things happening at work but I try not to drop down past 4 days a week.. I'm not losing weight like I should be at the moment so I am going to try and step it up to 6 days a week.... I think if you were doing over an hour and weights everyday then that might be too much but if it's under an hour and you do weights every other day to give your muscles time to relax then I would say everyday would be fine if you can fit it in!
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Good question, i prefer exercising 5-6 times a week as i feel a lot better if i do. Like some days will be vigourous whereas one day a week i may go for a walk or something. I'm not really sure if this is answering your question though. I guess as long as "every other day" doesn't mean exercising once or twice a week you're fine :)
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    its good to vary your exercise everyday or you wont give your body time to recover i dont benchpress everyday because i would litteraly tear the muscles down and give them no time to build just mix it up youl be fine and its not necessary to go everday but every little bit helps
  • gloria581
    gloria581 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Based on past failed experiences with working out, I can say that I HAVE TO workout everyday cause as soon as I skip a day, it's hard for me to get started back up.
  • grey_stars
    Options
    I do cardio everyday (45min walk/run) and strength training 3 times a week (mon, wed, fri). I read a really interesting book in the library about how important it is to do strength training. While cardio burns calories and increases heart health its affects are mainly short term. If all you do is cardio and then you stop it is quite easy to put the weght back on. Building muscle through strength training increases your BMR in the long term and gives you a lean toned look when you have lost your weight. So basically my mindset is cardio for today and strength for the long term.
  • lotty1987
    lotty1987 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ilike to exercise 5 days a week but one of my exercises might be walking around the local shopping centre for 2 hours which is always fun xxx
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Every day for me but I mix it up. A combination of gym, pool, pilates and exercise bike in front of the tv
  • chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    My ~EA active gets me to workout 2 days then have a rest day, and on that rest day I tend to do either something on the wii like rhythm boxing or yesterday I did a work out DVD... So I do try and exercise everyday - if only so I can have a light supper in the evening!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Based on past failed experiences with working out, I can say that I HAVE TO workout everyday cause as soon as I skip a day, it's hard for me to get started back up.

This has been my experience too. I
  • donnafo
    donnafo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I workout Monday through Friday and "break" during the weekend. I have found this keeps my motivation up. I also like having a routine, it makes life simpler.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I try to work out everyday, something to get the heart rate up. On my light days, when I struggle to get moving, I will usually only do 20 minutes, other than than I like to hit 45 min to an hour. I do it because I feel better when I get my heart rate up and get moving, plus it allows me to eat more. If I had to stick to my 1200 calories I would be starving :)! I don't eat all of my exercise calories, usually only half, but I just like having that option! I use my stationary bike, punching bag, the Wii Fit, Just Dance, DVD's and when its nice I LOVE to walk/jog outside! I don't like getting stuck in a rut!
  • treekins
    treekins Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day because I just feel better when I do! I seem to just naturally eat better, drink more water, and sleep better when I get my exercise in. I also have more energy and feel happier!
    The thing that keeps me going is variety. I do the gym as often as I can, but if I'm at home I love switching it up between pilates, yoga and Dance Dance Revolution on the Wii. If I don't have fun, I won't do it; I know that about myself haha!
    This is what works for me - I take 30-50 minutes a day to do it.
    :)
  • Juttalein
    Options
    I use polar hr. monitor for exercise and it lets me know cal. burnd !:smile:
  • travellady
    Options
    I try to go everyday during the week (Mon-Fri) so that I don't have to on weekends. For me, I don't think every other day would be enough to reach my goals as quickly. Plus, it's much easier to get to the gym on my lunch breaks, then once I get home and have two little kids to look after.
  • Anastarone
    Anastarone Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I walk every other day because I want to give my legs a rest . I feel every day is to much, for me at least anyway.
  • jenniferwilcox
    Options

Me too!