1200 and only .7 lbs pre week

Options
Hi --

Not sure if this is the right place for this question. I am 5 ft. and the site gives me 1200 net calories. With my exercise, I can have a total of 1500ish calories. That is great but this translates to .7 lbs per week of weight lose. I am wondering why I have to eat my exercise calories if I am so small (height wise) to begin with? I would like to see 1.5 - 2 lbs a week of weight lose for at least the first month or so with out destroying my metabolism. Thanks!

Replies

• melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Absolutely eat your exercise calories! The more you eat, the more you lose. To quote a current commercial, it makes sense if you don't think about it :laugh:
  • bseguine
    Options
    Don't eat the extra calories that you get from exercise.
    The exercise calories only give you the extra if you need them.
    Stick to the 1200 calories & continue to work out, then you will
    see the 2lbs per week come off.
    Best of luck
  • BlissgateClare
    Options
    I don't think site lets you go below 1200...I am 5'6 and wanted to lose 2 lbs per week but it gave me 1200 too and estimated weight loss on that at 1.3lbs...unfortunately I can't add exercise calories cos I can't exercise due to medical problems so its 1200 for me :cry:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of debate on the boards about if you should eat your exercise calories or not. I tend to fall on the side of eating them (but only if you're hungry).
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It might not be possible for you to safely do it depending on if you are close to goal weight. I am about 10 pounds from goal weight and I can put in that I desire to lose 1 pound, 1.5 pound or 2 pounds per week but as the calculator will not let me go below 1200 calories base per day it only will 'allow' me to lose 0.9 pounds per week no matter what goal I put in that I want. Some of us chose to not eat all of our exercise calories and you can get a bit more loss that way but there is a fine line there before you are depriving yourself too much. Best to just take it slow, follow the program and you will get there. It gets slower and slower as you approach goal weight.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    Hello: Only eat your exercise calories is you want to maintain. Stick to 1200 intake calories. Once you add your exercise in it'll give you a net. The net is what determines how much you'll loose per week. The higher the net the larger weight loss but don't decrease your calorie intake. Always eat your 1200 + calories going below that limit will slow your body down. Go to MyPyramid.gov to see more info about the food groups and how to switch food out for healthier food.
  • jflogan5
    Options
    You can change your goal settings to whatever you choose. Go in and change your goal to 2 pounds per week or whatever you choose and don't add in your daily exercise. There may be a way to add exercise without autocalculating the burned calories back in. Im not sure I haven't experimented with that. I add my exercise calories but I almost always eat under the total calories and am successful in my program. I do have a metabolism problem that I am stabilizing but the calorie counting is still efective and I eat a lot of good food thats good for me. No artificial sweetners of any kind, no caffeine, and no diet food per se. I only eat real food. This will get you to where you want to be I believe calorie wise and metabolically. Just trying to help. Good luck!
  • JenUB
    JenUB Posts: 84
    Options
    1200 calories seems to be some magic number that is one-size-fits-all and is supposed to be appropriate whether you're 6'3" or 5'3" (like myself). There are some very good-intentioned people in this world that believe the 1200-calorie rule wholeheartedly. Each to their own; that may be what works for them. I, myself, take my small stature into consideration and adjust accordingly. [translation: at the risk of having a bunch of people scold me, I do often eat under 1200 calories a day (cringe)......and I AM losing weight] :wink:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I would only eat them on some of the days. I noticed that my loss was stalling when I kept my calories too low, but then I had a bad Saturday where I ate like a naughty girl and not the next day but the day later I dropped some weight. And then same thing the next weekend. So I think zig zagging works, at least for me. Maybe give it a try? I'm already at a normal weight so it's more difficult to lose, but even so I've managed 8 lbs since Jan 10. So I think it's worth a try.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is this: Go to the section at the top that says "tools" and calculate you RMR which is the number of calories you would need to consume if you laid in bed all day and did nothing. Aim to have your net calories (calories consumed less exercise calories) be that number.

Also, I'm not sure how much you have to lose but, if you are a healthy weight, there is no healthy way to lose 2lbs a week and maintain it.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Wow, I love this site but people are telling you the wrong thing.

People assume that by eating less, even while exercising, you will lose more weight. But you are expending extra energy by exercising, your body NEEDS those extra calories back. At a 1,200 caloric daily goal MFP is already putting you at a calorie deficit so by not eating your exercise calories, you are going a little overboard.

How many weeks has it been since you've been doing this? If it's only been a couple of weeks, give it a try.

Under the "my home" tab, click on "goals." You will see here what your daily deficit is. For instance, I am at a 0.5lb/week weigh loss and have a calorie deficit of 250 based on from normal activity I burn 1680 calories a day. So, my calories for the day is 1430. This is where the deficit lies. By not eating back your exercise calories. you are going waaay under what your body requires for functioning.

It's up to you, but I would definitely be eating my execise calories.
  • maggieschuck
    Options

I do believe you can eat some of your exercise calories if you need too but don't go over board. I saw a dietitian yesterday to help me out. She wants me at 1500 a day. I exercise 3-4 times a week , burning 500-1100 calories per work out. I was under eating but if I ate the mfp added exercise calories then I'd be having a 2000+ intake day. Its a matter of finding your balance. If you are a fitness fanatic the eat more to support your body. Eat less (never below 1200) if you do light exercising.
  • carissagrayson
    Options
    I try to never eat my exercise calories. I think that I only did that once and it was because we went to my in-laws to eat.
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    im always under 1200 cals a day..just more so when i do exercise...you need to remember that mfp's cal burned isnt necessarily accurate also...i do eat SOME of my cals back, but not all of them....i think its a personal preference...i eat all day long, never exceeding my cals, well okay SOMETIMES but i work them off....and i have been consistantly loosing two pounds per week....i think you have to find the right balance for YOU....some ppl will tell you yes, eat them, others will say no dont, and still others would say eat some but not all of them back...i dont necessarily agree that one rule fits all....i have been successful with my routine, and while i may be new at this, i think i have found the right fit for my body....im never sluggish...in fact...just the opposite...i have found i have too much energy...even after a workout...so i believe my metabolism has...for now...found its groove...do what feels right to you....dont follow the advice of others...because while it may work for them, it may not work for you:happy:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

I do believe you can eat some of your exercise calories if you need too but don't go over board. I saw a dietitian yesterday to help me out. She wants me at 1500 a day. I exercise 3-4 times a week , burning 500-1100 calories per work out. I was under eating but if I ate the mfp added exercise calories then I'd be having a 2000+ intake day. Its a matter of finding your balance. If you are a fitness fanatic the eat more to support your body. Eat less (never below 1200) if you do light exercising.

Oh I agree as I said in my original post. I do try and eat my exercise calories as much as I can but only if I'm hungry. There is no point forcing food down your throat if you're not hungry just to meet a calorie allowance.

Those threads themselves have been written by trainers and dietitians who have extensive knowledge on how the body works. I would say from your statement that you've not read them completely and I urge you to do so.

But it's also REALLY important that you're not always under (by a significant margin). It basically means you're under eating.and yes you WILL lose weight. The catch? You WON'T keep it off.
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I guess that is what is confusing. A 5'6" women around my age has the same calorie per day as me who is 5'0. BTW, I am 5'0 and 142 lbs (as of today) which is considered overweight. I have just started "dieting" last week and finished the quick start/1 week program that comes with the Power 90 fitness program. I just did not know if 1200 was a number that nutritionists came up with that the average person (which I am not at 5 ft) should not go below.
  • 2bfitforever
    Options
    Thank you all for all your suggestions and advice. It is nice to hear from people who are actually doing this. Thanks!
  • RodSurly
    RodSurly Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Anyamalfoy,
    Those links were very helpful. Thanks for posting them!
  • 2bfitforever
    Options
    Hi --

Thank you for the links. You were right -- I had not read seen or read them. One thing I did find out from the links and other searches on the internet was that the BMI/BMR is not accurate for really short people (i.e., 5 ft) or super tall people which makes sense. Actually the BMI page of this site states/warns that .... "BMI has several limitations: it's not accurate for pregnant women, people under 5 feet tall, and people with very muscular builds. It also does not account for age."

I am going to play with the calories and see what happens over the next several weeks. I am sooooooo hoping that I can eat the 1200 + exercise calories and still lose weight. Having just started down this road I need some wins for a few weeks to stay motivated. Thank you again for the links!