I can't lose weight

Options
So its been a month now and I have cut my calories way back and exercise a lot more than I use to. According to the tredmill or elliptical I am losing 600 plus calories plus I am lifting weights. So I lost about 6 pounds the first 3 weeks and now I have gained it back and not losing at all. How is this happening??? Anyone have the same problem???? Help, I am getting pissed off and discouraged.

Replies

• dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Perhaps open your food diary so we can see what you are eating. Only this I can say is make sure you eat your excercise cals so at leat 1800 on the days you work out.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Patience!

Unable to see your diary to offer calorie suggestions. Do make sure you are choosing healthy foods, nonprocessed carbs, and lots of veggies. Oh and drink tons of water! Hang in there.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    So its been a month now and I have cut my calories way back and exercise a lot more than I use to. According to the tredmill or elliptical I am losing 600 plus calories plus I am lifting weights. So I lost about 6 pounds the first 3 weeks and now I have gained it back and not losing at all. How is this happening??? Anyone have the same problem???? Help, I am getting pissed off and discouraged.

Maybe you are pleateuing. You need to change up your fitness routine to shock your body. And try reducing your calorie intake by maybe just 100 calories. Don't be discouraged. I am sure you are losing inches1 And think about how much healthier you have already become...Keep going!
  • mycrazyturtles
    Options
    also if your working out a lot more are you building muscle? have you taken measurements? You also might not be eating enough to loose weight.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    your losing weight & building muscle, hence the weight gain. but dont let that discourage you! you need that muscle to burn the fat! keep up the great work!
  • jwatford
    jwatford Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Almost the identical scenerio. I think my problem is in what I've been eating moreso than how much. I hate vegetables and I don't eat them. Let me know when you find the answer to this problem. I need it, too. :)
  • cerulian
    Options
    Ditto on everyone else's responses. What's your calorie count, how much are you eating, are you drinking water? How fast did you lose that 24 pounds? Do you weigh/measure your foods or is there portion distortion going on?
  • ronchap
    Options
    machine calorie counts may be off. Plan on a HRM
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your food diary I can't know how much you're eating and how much you're burning. You need to keep your net calories above 1200, which means you need to eat some or all of your exercise calories. If you're burning more than you take in your body won't burn fat, it will store it.
  • Hardemanwifey
    Hardemanwifey Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I'm doing the 30 shred daily and for the last few wks I haven't loss a pound but have gained. Before I did the shred I was goin to the gym about 4-5x/wk buring bout 350-500 calories so I don't know if its the transition to not so much calorie burn or what but I'm getting down about it as well. I just recently started back goin to gym and doin the shred. I'm eager to hear the suggestions. Don't give up, we'll goin to master this weight loss
  • lordofultima
    Options
    There's no way you can gain that much muscle in that short amount of time. If you gain 6 lbs. of muscle in a year you should consider yourself lucky! Definitely your diet, something wrong majorly with it.
  • socal92845
    Options
    I did the same as you did until I started to learn more about what the body needs. I cut back on my calories and increased my exercise to find out that I actually gained weight. What I learned is that my body went into survival mode. It will be a balance that you need to learn about your body. Cutting back on calories will make your body store the foods you eat for fuel. That is were the weight gain comes in. Keeping your body fueled is key with the exericise. Hope that helped.
  • mandavann
    mandavann Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I second getting a heart rate monitor. The machines at the gym are off by a great deal most of the time so you may be eating all your exercise calories but not actually burning as much as you think you are.
  • SweetCharity
    Options
    Unless you're doing a lifting routine as well as cardio, it's probably not muscle. And if you're eating too little - your body will hold on to your body fat, so make sure you're eating at least at the MFP calorie guidelines. And also eating your exercise calories. Starving yourself is not the way to lose lbs. any faster (as you can see). It has to be a slow and steady loss for it to last. As far as the machines - they grossly over exaggerate how many calories you're burning, try using the MFP numbers. They won't be perfect either - but they'll be closer. Don't rely too much on the scale - it doesn't give you an accurate picture of what's happening. Take pictures of yourself, pay attention to how your clothes fit and use measuring tape. You could be up on the scale one day because you're retaining water - you never really know what the scale is reading. Make sure you're drinking enough water too. At least 1/2 gallon a day. Try not to get too frustrated. This is a journey. You're not gonna lose all the weight you gained in a matter of days or weeks. It's a process and you don't suddenly switch to perfection. It's a series of little changes that you make to your life that become part of your lifestyle. You can do this, just keep going.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I think two things : you need to look at your food, and there is NO WAY you gained that much muscle. Look at what you are eating, and what they are made of.

I think its a bunch of hooey when people try saying you ( not just you, but anyone) gains weight cause they are lifting some weights. You do not gain muscle that fast, not does a pound of muscle weigh more than a pound of fat. It doesnt. It just takes up less space.

NEVER in my time of losing did I ever gain more than a pound or two , only to lose it the next week, and I was lifting weights the entire time.

Please look at your food, I think your answers will be there.

PS, I am in Covington ! :)