Vegan group

Options
124»

Replies

• tazfather
    tazfather Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    any good sites for vegetarians ? Reading your threads made me want to turn vegetarian altough i like my ribeye steak but for good health one must turn down some food right .
    Thanks for all your help
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatmedelicious.com/
    One of my very favorite vegetarian recipe sites :)
  • bethaudrey
    Options
    aha! I've found my home here on the site!

Life long vegan here, me and 3 siblings. Mom of 3 vegan and one vegetarian kids.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Hey great thread. I had been about 95% vegan (4% for family reunions and 1% for occasional resturaunt treats). Although lately I started P90X and I couldn't create a vegan meal plan using the micronutrients of 50% protein, 20% fat, 30% carbs. So I've added a few things back until the third phase which will be a few months.

But I wanted to say hi and stick this in my topics for when I need it again.

And that whole thing about soy ... most of those studies against soy were based on individuals taking over 50g of soy protein per day consistently and did not include an otherwise balanced diet. Even the "male" study requried 54g of soy protein per day to produce a 4% decrease of testosterone serum levels.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for over a year now and have felt a lot better since making the change. I would like to invite everyone, not just vegans/vegetarians to post questions, vegan recipes, nutrition info., etc. I will do my best to respond to any posts within 24 hrs.

Here are some of the reasons I think being vegan has improved my health and happiness:

1. Fiber is everywhere in a vegan diet- unless you live on soda and white bread, it is impossible to not get the recommended 25-35 grams of fiber a day.
    2. Fast food is no longer a temptation you can succumb to- unless your conscience will allow you to order just fries and a coke, the temptation of fast food is eliminated.
    3. I no longer want to take a nap after meals- Eliminating animal protein and fat from lunch keeps your energy levels stable and helps you tackle the rest of the work day with ease.
    4. Red meat no longer hangs out in your colon- Eliminating red meat (pork and beef) keeps food running through your colon and makes you feel lighter and more energized. I think this is the main reason my indigestion and other stomach problems have almost disappeared since I made the change.
    5. Healthy fats improve mood- Healthy fats exist in almost all plant sources; avocados and nuts are loaded with them. And unlike fish, you don't have to ingest mercury and other harmful chemicals to get them.

These are just some of the many advantages I've found to eating vegan. I look forward to hearing from all of you!

I agree with everything you said. I am not vegan but ovolacto vegetarian. I did it for a totally different reason than most. I was having HORRIBLE migraines. I mean 2-3 times a week, in the bed, lights out, blinds closed, sunglasses, throwing up migraines. My doctor suggested keeping a migraine diary and eliminating types of foods for a week or 2 at a time. I stopped eating meat in July 2008 and have not had a migraine since. I have small headaches that can be taken care of with Tylenol but no full blown migraines. I think I must have a reaction to whatever hormones or whatever they use to process/raise the meat. I do, however, miss the fast food but I know that it is better for my weight loss journey and I don't just pull into a drive thru when I am hungry, I plan and take snacks with me.
  • vegrunner
    vegrunner Posts: 42
    Options
    Welcome msarro, cmstief, tazfather, bethaudrey, ghanie, and naugustyniak!!! I have been falling down on the job lately but am committed to getting my butt back in gear. For those who haven't heard of it, "clean eating club" is another great thread on here. Look forward to hearing more from you.
  • vegrunner
    Options
    any good sites for vegetarians ? Reading your threads made me want to turn vegetarian altough i like my ribeye steak but for good health one must turn down some food right .
    Thanks for all your help

Here are a couple of good websites; the first one is from a registered dietitian who does a great job of explaining how to get adequate protein on a vegan diet, it's really a lot easier than people think. The second one has a lot of vegetarian/vegan recipes.

Keep in mind that a vegetarian diet including eggs and dairy can contain just as much artery clogging fats as a standard diet including rib eyes and cheeseburgers.

It is somewhat hard at first to give up meat when transitioning to a vegetarian or vegan diet but it gets easier and there are a lot of good meat substitutes out there to ease the transition. You can find them in virtually any grocery store. Look in the produce section for products such as soyrizo (chorizo imitation) and veggie hot dogs. The freezer section usually has veggie bacon, burgers, imitation chicken and fajita strips. If you like steak, I think its morningstar farms that makes great steak fajita strips.

Best of luck to you!! Let us know if you have anymore questions.
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm#table2
    http://vegweb.com/
  • vegrunner
    Options
    [/quote]
    I agree with everything you said. I am not vegan but ovolacto vegetarian. I did it for a totally different reason than most. I was having HORRIBLE migraines. I mean 2-3 times a week, in the bed, lights out, blinds closed, sunglasses, throwing up migraines. My doctor suggested keeping a migraine diary and eliminating types of foods for a week or 2 at a time. I stopped eating meat in July 2008 and have not had a migraine since. I have small headaches that can be taken care of with Tylenol but no full blown migraines. I think I must have a reaction to whatever hormones or whatever they use to process/raise the meat. I do, however, miss the fast food but I know that it is better for my weight loss journey and I don't just pull into a drive thru when I am hungry, I plan and take snacks with me.
    [/quote]

I'm glad to hear about your migraines stopping!! I've only had a few but can remember them in detail! I hate the moment you start seeing lights out of the corner of your eye and knowing the pain is soon to follow. Almost all of mine were a result of running/playing sports without enough carbs in my system.

I think part of your triggers could have been the preservatives in meats as well, such as sodium nitrate. Lunch meats and hot dogs almost all have preservatives in them.

I had a friend who would continue to eat MSG, chocolate, etc. even though she knew they were triggers to her frequent migraines. I think she must have been half crazy: )

Glad you're doing better and welcome to the group!
  • vegrunner
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am on day two of a no flour, no sugar eating plan. I have been eating a lot of sugary stuff lately and need to get back on track. I have noticed my moods going up and down like they normally do when I eat like crap.

I'm mostly relying on Food for Life bread (sprouted grains), sweet potatoes and short grain brown rice for my carbs. I'm feeling a little low on energy but I think its because my body and mind are dealing with the adjustment.

Hope everyone is doing well.
  • vegrunner
    Options
    I recently read Food and Mood by Elizabeth Somer. It listed vitamins that are essential for mood: B6, B12, Folic Acid, Iron, Selenium, and zinc. B12 is especially important for vegans to supplement.

I believe the only way we can get B12 from a natural source is from sea vegetables such as kale. Nutritional yeast is another good source.

I'm taking "Stress Support Multi" from New Chapter Organics. Its pretty expensive but it includes all of the vitamins and minerals listed above. There are many other cheaper options though.

V-pure recently came out with a vegan DHA/EPA Omega 3 supplement. It is the only vegan Omega 3 supplement with EPA (the type of omega 3 that helps mood). This is the first time I have been able to order it, it has been popular and hard for merchants to keep in stock. I ordered it on www.veganstore.com.
  • vegrunner
    Options
    I recently read Food and Mood by Elizabeth Somer. It listed vitamins that are essential for mood: B6, B12, Folic Acid, Iron, Selenium, and zinc. B12 is especially important for vegans to supplement.

I believe the only way we can get B12 from a natural source is from sea vegetables such as kale. Nutritional yeast is another good source.

I'm taking "Stress Support Multi" from New Chapter Organics. Its pretty expensive but it includes all of the vitamins and minerals listed above. There are many other cheaper options though.

V-pure recently came out with a vegan DHA/EPA Omega 3 supplement. It is the only vegan Omega 3 supplement with EPA (the type of omega 3 that helps mood). This is the first time I have been able to order it, it has been popular and hard for merchants to keep in stock. I ordered it on www.veganstore.com.
  • vegrunner
    Options
    Don't know if anyone is checking this forum anymore but here is a good nutrition site I found:
    http://www.veganpeace.com/nutrient_information/veganfoodpyramid/vegan_food_pyramid.htm
  • kimgibbons
    kimgibbons Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey Meg,
    Skinny ***** is what made me change my diet as well. I hear you on the bacon and cheese. That is all I really miss but I don't miss the way they made me feel after wards:) Like I mentioned earlier sometimes soy cheese has casein so be sure to check the labels if you're hard core like me.

I would use the MFP food tracker to show your mom the nutrients you get from a typical day of eating a vegan diet vs the nutrients you got from an average day on your previous diet. One of the strongest pieces of evidence I like to mention to prove you won't wither away as a vegan is the amount of world class athletes that are vegans. Here is a link to the site. I myself have seen my race times improve since I became vegan.
    http://www.veganathlete.com/vegan_vegetarian_athletes.php
    ESPN article:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keri/080616

The most famous are probably Prince Fielder(MLB), Tony Gonzalez(NFL), Mac Danzig(UFC) and Carl Lewis.

Where can I find this book "Skinny****"? Who is the author please?
    Thanks!
  • vegrunner
    Options
    Kim Barnouin is one of the authors. It should be at just about any bookstore. It's usually in the diet section. It's very popular. Skinny *kitten* is another book she just published.
  • Opalline
    Opalline Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,

I've been vegetarian for nearly 19 years now and vegan since the end of last year. Nice to see there's a vegan group here at mfp... mind if I join? Would love it if a few vegans added me as a friend... I'm the only vegan I know 'in real life' and I know very few veggies too... I feel like an island in a sea of carnivores!!

Opalline
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options

What about Flax oil? I use it on salads. Is that not a complete omega 3?
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If anyone is interested in variety Ive been knee deep in Indian cooking lately. I mean WOW such flavor!!!! The cookbook is "Complete Indian Cooking". The back half is vegetarian/vegan. Easy to make but be prepared to buy alot of spices. I have an Indian grocer down the street who helps me out with food/spices im not familiar with or I make it a point to look it up online first before I go. A little bit a work acquiring the staples but the meals are totally worth it!!

Bon Apetite!
  • Curves73
    Curves73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I read Skinny B.3 years ago. I quit meat then, read again last Jan. Quit processed and fake sugar, read it this Jan. And I am tackling dairy. Whick is my toughest. I also small reading the China study but it is not s quick read. Great thread. Thank you.
  • mamaltz
    mamaltz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years vegan on and off for the past 5 years. I am trying so hard to be a strict vegan due to recently being told my cholesterol is too high. Unfortunately genes are the culprit. As a vegetarian I was eating junky stuff which went overboard at times resulting in weight gain.