Dizziness Question

Options
Hello, Sense I started using MFP to track my food I have lost weight faster they I was before I started tracking my food. One thing I have noticed though is I'm finding that I am getting dizzy more often, especially when I stand up from sitting or kneeling. Almost to the point where I need to grab on to something to keep from falling over.
My question is, could I be inadvertently leaving something out of my diet that would cause me to become dizzy? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Me to....bump
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Have you had both your blood pressure & your sugar levels checked by your Dr before starting? Two reasons that come to mind are that you may have abnormal BP..or that you are getting 'highs' & lows in your blood sugar levels..however anything medical really needs an answer from your 'health professional.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating at least the 1200 recommended cals. Some of us need more tho. Also make sure that you get adequate B vitamins and Iron in your diet. A deficincy in either can lead to anemia which could cause the dizziness. Also pay attention to when you are having dizzy spells. A dizzy spell w/in an hour of eating a big meal or a sugary snack could be your blood suger dipping low. Eat smaller meals more frequently and watch your sugar intake to even out blood sugar levels. If all else fails, see your doctor so they can do tests to find out if there is a medical reason behind the dizziness..
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,172 Member
    Options
    Have you had both your blood pressure & your sugar levels checked by your Dr before starting? Two reasons that come to mind are that you may have abnormal BP..or that you are getting 'highs' & lows in your blood sugar levels..however anything medical really needs an answer from your 'health professional.

I agree.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    It sounds like low blood pressure or low sugar levels. I would go to the doctor though to be on the safe side.
  • YayMe17
    YayMe17 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Me too. :( I have been dealing with it on & off for a few weeks. I am very active at work & I seem to feel it mostly when I stop moving. I thought it was just from stress at work. I am also seeing weight loss results & don't want to change my diet. Dumb reasoning I know. But it's the truth. Anybody?
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Only think I would add the the drop in BP and blood sugar comments would be dehydration... Check your fluid intake, has it caught up with your increased activity?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You may need to increase your calories or at least make sure you're eating snacks/small meals often.
  • dadandersen
    Options
    A lot of responses here, and I'm not sure what to add, but I have had some experience myself with dizzyness. Some to the point of passing out.

I haven't completely overcome it, but here's what I've found that helps:

In spite of the calorie count MFP recommends, try to hit the same calorie count every day, whether you exercise or not. And don't go below 1800. For example, if your goal for the day is 1300 before exercise and 1975 after, still only eat 1800. Even if you don't exercise, hit the goal of 1800.

Water. Lots and lots of water. Get a big water bottle and take it around with you all day. Fill it up twice over the course of the day.

Caffeine. Cut it out. All of it.

Blood pressure is a huge concern. Especially as you shrink, your blood pressure should also. Consult with your doctor.

Get enough rest. Especially if you are exercising more than you did before you started the program. Devote 15 minutes to rest for every hour of exercise. Let your body completely cool down before going to work or doing any other activity.

That's been my experience. I know a lot of this was already shared, but just thought I'd chime in. I totally sympathize. Hang in there. As you approach your target weight, your body will adjust and it will get better.
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    That happened to me once at the gym. I hadn't eaten at all prior to going to the gym. I walked on the treadmill, got on the elliptical, and lifted some weights. After lifting the weights my head started swimming and I was sure I was going to pass out (this has happened to me multiple times in the past so I know how it feels right before my lights go out). I casually stumbled to the locker room got some money and bought a Pepsi (because it has sugar in it). I sat down rested and felt way better after that. I vowed to never workout on an empty stomach ever again.
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Have your iron level checked!
  • raele
    raele Posts: 10
    Options
    I was experiencing the same things and it turns out I was anemic. If you haven't seen a doc or can't get in soon try things like grapes, raisins, pomegranate, beets and red wine along with your obvious choice of red meats.
  • mikedraper
    mikedraper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thank you for all your comments, I will try your suggestions this coming week.
  • mikedraper
    mikedraper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In the last couple of weeks I have tried to eat more iron rich foods, increase my water intake and i'm taking a multi-vitamin w/iron each morning. the dizziness has gone away. Thank you for all your comments and suggestions.