Weight Gain from Whey Protein???

Options
Last week, I weighed in at 181 flat. My boot camp instructor let us all know that we should be getting about 20 grams of protein as soon after we work out as possible. I do boot camp 5x a week.

So I started drinking a protein shake. It is Biochem Sports brand and is a Whey Protein Isolate. It has 20 grams of protein. The milk I used has 10. So I was getting 30 grams of protein fairly quickly after the workout.

But after a couple of days I started noticing a weight gain. At first I thought it was just water weight...but then I also felt my pants tighten. I gained 5.3 lbs. in just a couple of days! So on Friday, I elected not to have the protein shake but to eat a fried egg and a piece of toast for breakfast. I also got a massage on Friday. So on Saturday morning (this morning), I was at 182.9. Which means 2.1 lbs. was probably water weight. But I definitely gained 1.8 lbs.

This was only my second week at boot camp...so I have completed 10 days.

Is it normal to gain weight in the first 2 weeks? Is this muscle? Or was it the protein? I just want to make sure that I'm doing what's best for my body.

There is a professional fitness trainer who teaches at the college I work at and I emailed him yesterday but I won't see him until Tuesday and I want to make sure I am getting on the right track this weekend.

Replies

• steampunkgirl
    Options
    Can you ask the boot camp instructor? Maybe change the milk? Is it whole milk? I use EAS chocolate whey protein in my smoothie and I use yoplait fat free yogurt instead of milk along with cherries and a banana and some Spectrum Ground flax-seed. I have not gained any weight. Muscle weighs more then fat so be sure to do measurements to see if your shrinking. Don't go by just the waist on the pants. I seem to lose inches everywhere but my waist first. Everyone is different so its hard to say. Is your food diary available to look at??
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is muscle weight. I have been doing weights as well as exercising and never experienced a gain.

Make sure your caloric intake has not changed with the protein powder. It may just be the scale is having a brain fart :) Don't give up, especially if you are doing everything right.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Chances are you didn't gain weight. In order to gain a pound of fat you'd have to eat 3500 calories on top of your maintenance calories. In order to gain a pound of muscle you'd have to be eating a ton of calories and you'd have to be training to be a body builder.

It's most likely just some water weight. Weight fluctuates a lot due to hormones, sodium intake, water consumption, etc. Take your measurements in addition to getting on the scale.
  • bevyg
    bevyg Posts: 6
    Options
    that is really scary because I'm also in week two of my new lifestyle. I'm down 7 pounds by working out and logging all calories. I'm holding right at 1200 to 1500 calories per day net. But, I'm told I should also try a protein shake to get that all important portein in the morning. I'm not a breakfast eater but I'm sure I could mix my coffee with the protein and get that down. But...if it's gonna make me gain weight, no way! Please share with me your favorite protein drink and if you're trying this tactic, has it helped? Thanks everyone!
  • amandakay23
    Options
    I've never experienced weight gain with any other protein.., but we have whey protein right now and I have gained for sure. Maybe I will not have any for a week and see what happens!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Did you add this on top of your current calorie count or did you replace it with another meal?

I've never gained using mine. I use an all natural whey protein without any additives, sweeteners or flavours.
  • amandakay23
    Options
    that is really scary because I'm also in week two of my new lifestyle. I'm down 7 pounds by working out and logging all calories. I'm holding right at 1200 to 1500 calories per day net. But, I'm told I should also try a protein shake to get that all important portein in the morning. I'm not a breakfast eater but I'm sure I could mix my coffee with the protein and get that down. But...if it's gonna make me gain weight, no way! Please share with me your favorite protein drink and if you're trying this tactic, has it helped? Thanks everyone!

Protien is a must but Id say be choosey...whey protien may be different, I don't know though, I'd definitely research it! Muscle milk light is good and costco has good ones too in regard to pre made shakes. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • steampunkgirl
    Options

I started out with Premier Nutrition protein shake from Costco. Its just a ready made protein shake with 160 calories and 30 grams of protein. I thought I would try to make my own to save some money and got some EAS chocolate Whey protein and add a scoop with 2/3 cup of frozen cherries, fat free yoplait yogurt, a banana and some ground flaxseed. Taste like chocolate covered cherries to me. I was asking for recipes when I started and I have a post I will copy and paste it after I send this with some smoothie recipes. Its pretty much experimental. Throw in what you love and add it to your log. I have not gained any weight but I only drink it on days when I do my kettle balls. Good luck.
  • courtrey88
    Options
    It's not uncommon to gain weight during the first couple weeks of a new exercise routine. I highly doubt it's the whey protein. I drink a whey protein drink every single day because I don't get enough protein from my normal diet and I have not gained any weight, in fact I've lost weight since starting to drink it. Just make sure you're eating within your suggested calorie range and drinking 8 cups of water a day. Like the other posters said, it's probably just a combination of water weight and hormonal changes. Just don't get discouraged and keep at your boot camp!
  • courtrey88
    Options
    PS. You should actually be drinking MORE water when you exercise. For every 15 minutes of exercise you should be drinking an extra 8 oz of water in addition to your 8 cups a day. If you're not drinking enough water during your workout this could result in a gain in water weight because your body is dehydrated and trying to hold on to any water it can.
  • steampunkgirl
    Options

here is a thread I started a while back with some suggestions for smoothies.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/159170-smoothies
  • katzplay62
    Options
    Instead of relying completely on the scale, take your measurements. Muscle weighs MORE that fat but occupies less physical space. So yes, you can gain weight but be smaller (which is what you want, right?), especially after starting a rigorous workout routine.

Cheers

Kat
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I had issues with whey protein. I had never had any issues with regular dairy products until I used the whey. It could be water retention as well as other "waste" products. The bloating, gas and constipation were the issues I had. The side effects just were not worth the benefits for me. My doctor suggested that I stay away from soy. I did find a powdered egg white protein suppliment I could use though.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It's normal to gain at the start of a new program, especially if you haven't worked out all that strenuously in a long time. Those muscles are fatigued and tired and holding water to repair & protect. It's normal and totally happened to me during my first two weeks of ChaLEAN. I gained about 4lbs. After two weeks my body came out of it's state of shock, my muscles were not as sore and I dumped those 4lbs plus 2 more. Hang in there!

I also have whey protein 1x per day mixed w/ coconut milk and often times have a Pure Protein bar and I've had no ill effects from either. I also have eggs for breakfast, lean protein (like chicken) at lunch and usually fish, lean beef or pork loin for dinner. My program is pretty weight intense, so I need that protein to feed my muscles. Also make sure you're eating enough calories for your current workout level too.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It's normal to gain at the start of a new program, especially if you haven't worked out all that strenuously in a long time. Those muscles are fatigued and tired and holding water to repair & protect. It's normal and totally happened to me during my first two weeks of ChaLEAN. I gained about 4lbs. After two weeks my body came out of it's state of shock, my muscles were not as sore and I dumped those 4lbs plus 2 more. Hang in there!

I also have whey protein 1x per day mixed w/ coconut milk and often times have a Pure Protein bar and I've had no ill effects from either. I also have eggs for breakfast, lean protein (like chicken) at lunch and usually fish, lean beef or pork loin for dinner. My program is pretty weight intense, so I need that protein to feed my muscles. Also make sure you're eating enough calories for your current workout level too.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Fat free, lactose free milk.

I only have one day of my food diary on here because I was on something else before. Haven't had a chance to move it all over yet.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    If you aren't going over on calories and if the protein shake doesn't have Creatine in it, then you aren't going to gain weight while taking whey protein. It's probably a little water retention from the workouts. Double check the ingredients.