needing some help

Options
Hi all, i've been doing this for a few weeks now and am really struggling to shift any weight since my first week so first of all any help or advice anybody has to help would be great :smile:

Also second question does drinking water really help? i have never been somebody that has drunk very much even as a little kid so if it does make a huge difference i need to figure out a way to make me drink more

Thanks for any help

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    After looking at your food diary it looks like you've been significantly over your daily calorie goal. Several days you were over by more than 1000 calories. Stick to your calorie goal and make sure you're eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low fat dairy. Avoid processed foods, they are full of unnecessary amounts of sodium and refined sugar. Also, start tracking your sodium and sugar.

Yes, you need to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. It doesn't necessarily help you lose weight, but it does flush out toxins, excess sodium, and generally helps keep you healthier.
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Yes, drinking water really helps. That is all I drink now. About 12-16 8 oz glasses a day, and it helps tremendously. Also six small meals or meals and snacks, that fit into your daily requirement of calories. Eat first thing in the morning and continue to consume small meals or healthy snacks along the way. I like to consider my body like a fire. If you dont add fuel, it will cease to burn. But that is what works for me.
  • dawning
    Options
    I know you should drink plain water but I don't and I still lose weight.
  • shellywelly123
    shellywelly123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i no those few days were the worst all because of mcdonalds :ohwell: never quite realised how many calories and things were in those until i started doing this! I have also found it very hard to try to make meals that are low fat and calories but think this may be a learning curve really.

Must set myself challenges to drink more water! Thanks
  • I think It may be the type of foods you are eating. I see alot of breads and pastas, not alot of veggies or other foods that is really good for you. Staying inside calorie goals will def. make a difference. I would have to agree with drinking more water will help. and maybe a little more cardio?
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I don't think drinking water is your problem..its your diet...I can tell you don't home cook LOL!! Thats not a criticism..many don't, however you are eating an awful lot of processed foods that are not only high in carbs, they are also high in both sodium & artificial additives. You could do with eating more veggies & fresh friut & try to eat lean proteins as well. Meals from places like Costa coffee etc are in general not healthy..you need to plan ahead & buy healthy options to take with you to work if you have a problem finding anything once at work.
  • pippakay52
    Options
    Hi i'm the same been on here fro 3 weeks now doing well filling it in watching what i eat untill today as out for my sons birthday and what happens no weight loss...but i do feel inch loss...i think ui may b getting muscle gain even though i am not using weights just speed walk and running up and down the stairs for 5 mins and a few abdonimal crunch, can any one help me i only wnat to losse 8 pounds to get to dr health weight guide.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    After looking at your food diary it looks like you've been significantly over your daily calorie goal. Several days you were over by more than 1000 calories.

That will definitely cause a plateau. I have a similar daily calorie goal as you and here's how I try to break it down:

Breakfast: approx 200 calories or less (dinner or lunch will need to be smaller if you prefer a large breakfast)
    Lunch: 300 calories or less
    Dinner: 400 calories, sometimes 500 if you had a lighter lunch
    Snacks: 300 calories total

Cooking at home really helps me stay within my calorie goal. My hubby and I cook dinner 6 days a week and eat leftovers for lunch the following day. That way, we know what our food costs calorie wise, so the next day I will know what kind of portion i need for lunch in order to stay within my limit.

Any exercise you can fit in will make the 1200ish calorie goal much more tolerable. I try not to count on exercise too much, just in case I don't make it to the gym. Rather, I'll just reward myself with something special at the end of the day if I did well.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would change my diary settings so you can also see the sodium content that you are consuming. Many people will struggle to lose if they are getting too much sodium and I bet the foods you are eating are full of it. Also, the multiple days going over your calorie goal aren't helping.

It may take some time to get used to the new intake of food and find out what works for you. Be very mindful of what you are eating and drinking...log everything, including beverages. You may be consuming alot of calories in your liquids that you aren't counting either.

Good luck!
  • shellywelly123
    Options
    thats a good idea with the meals and using them for lunch the next day will definatly try that and keep my fingers crossed it will give me a kick start again
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have bad days too, lol. Definitely gotta cut out all that fast food & soda if you wanna see a real difference!
  • shellywelly123
    Options
    i no from now on that is what is going to happen as much as i love a burger i will resist! and still getting used to how much is in all food is tricky when never worried before! lol