Touch your toes?

Options
thankyou4thevenom
thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
Random question but I'll ask it anyway. I haven't been able to touch my toes since I was about 8.
Can you touch your toes?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I can. But I'm also double-jointed in my hips and knees, so it doesn't take as much effort for me. I used to be able to sit on the floor and get my elbows to pass my toes without trying. Now, I can only get to my wrists.
  • Nomnomnivore
    Options
    I can, but not fully extended. It took a long time of stretching and practicing before I could.
  • Stina_Marie13
    Stina_Marie13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    yes, i can!!! :)
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Sure can--and always have been able to--even when I weighed 300 pounds! Yoga helps with that.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    yea i can :tongue: didnt actually think i could lol:laugh: yoga must be paying off :happy:

best wishes
    Kirstie xx
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I could when I was morbidly obese. Needless to say, I still can now...even more so. Weight is a minor factor, but it's all about how flexible your muscles are. If people don't stretch and keep their muscles at their optimum elasticity, even very fit people wouldn't be able to touch their toes.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i can, but i have to bounce a little lol..anyway..OMG I LOVE the purple in your hair!!!! what brand is it?????
  • Dmonique85
    Options
    Yeah...but it doesn't feel great. I used to be able to put my hands flat on the ground lol...that sounds funny now. Hopefully soon I will be at it again!
  • VezNo1
    VezNo1 Posts: 83
    Options
    3 weeks into a pilates course and I can now!!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I can. When my doctor asked me to touch my toes in my physical this fall, I laid the palms of my hands on the floor beside each foot. She was amazed, lol! It's probably because of the stretching exercises I do to keep the plantar fasciitis at bay.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yes -- and the floor with a little extra slack in my fingers to spare. I'm trying to get where I can put my palms flat on the floor, but I'm not sure if that's possible!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    3 weeks into a pilates course and I can now!!
    This pleases me, as I just started pilates. I swear I can already see and feel a bit of a difference, but still can't quite touch my toes. I've got pain in my joints.
  • Katcatters
    Katcatters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Not unless I bend my knees!!! I've never been able to touch my toes - even when I was a skinny girl! Apparently it's to do with genetics and your tendons- I never took the time to stretch them!
  • mnheather
    mnheather Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I guess this working out and stretching has helped. I had to see if I could do it and I can. Palms touched the floor. Glad nobody walked into my office while I was trying that. LOL
  • boogbite
    Options
    after a couple months of yoga and pilates classes I can do it now without bending my knees. it feels great!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    No I can't but after reading the other posts, I think I'll have to get a yoga or pilates dvd and start doing that.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    yep, palms flat on the floor and everything. during a yoga class once, the instructor was like "WOW you are so flexible!"
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to. I always blamed my short torso, but I have tight hamstrings, too. I'm working on them.

I did find out this week that my (adult) niece, who is and always has been very athletic, can't touch hers, either. Maybe it's a genetic thing.
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    i can!!! and im amazed...never thought i would be able to....but when i was younger i used to sit on the floor crosslegged and could actually lean over and put my elbows on the floor in front of my knees and prop my head up to watch tv, i also a lot of the time fell asleep like that, i could also wrap my legs behind my head....i guess i have a few things to look forward to being able to do again when im thinner, and well stretched.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    yes I can lay them flat on the floor, I can also bend my legs right up round my neck, (well actually only the right leg goes behind my head, the left one ALMOST, but I am 44 and still a bit unfit and not as slim as I was) I used to be able to bend up so my knees bent over my shoulders and I walked on my hands. I am hugely flexible but I probably have hyper mobile joints as I have dislocated my knee as have two of my three kids.