Chinese Food

Options
My husband really, really wants to go for Chinese food tonight, and it's proving hard to resist. I have lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks and have not "cheated" once. I know I shouldn't look at it as a reward, but I'm going to double my workout today and just go for the darn Chinese. Any suggestions on anything "healthy?" Maybe I shouldn't say healthy because that would be a falsehood. But maybe the least of all evils? Don't say steamed veggies & chicken because I can make that at home. :wink:

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    That is one of my weaknesses too. I have not had it for the entire month of January, but have been wanting General Tsao and sushi also!

No recommendations, but if it were me, I would say just eat whatever you do in moderation. Limit yourself, but have a good time!
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i think if you double you workout and eat it in moderation you should be fine although if i were you nothing fried and i would not eat a whole serving of fried rice (there serving size portion). enjoy
  • loriefolk
    Options
    By all means enjoy your time with your husband, but don't overdo it. Encourage him to support your by making healthier dining choices when asking you out to dinner :)
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    drink lots and lots of water!!! more than you normally would. Chinese food is full of sodium. I love chinese!!!!!
  • Vtrembacki
    Vtrembacki Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ILOOOOVE LOVE LOVE chinese too!!!! My only suggestion would maybe be choose the choices that are not fried and breaded, ie mogolian beef (not fried) , vs General Tso's chicken (fried). And stay away from too much noodles or fried rice. And I agree with above- MODERATION! also I know this is more Japanese, but an appetizer I LOVE is edamame, which is really healthy.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Stay away from as much breaded stuff as you can, drink lots of water and remember portion control. White rice instead of fried. I know.....boring.

I love Chinese food too. My husband does not like it or even the smell of it and my PIC who I usually go with has not had any free time when I do and vice versa. :grumble:

Just do some extra exercise and I am sure you will be fine. 12 lbs in 3 weeks is Awesome. I would not worry about one night.
  • theyarealllies
    Options
    I've been in the same situation as you quite a few times! When I want Chinese, it is pretty hard to fight! So in my research everyone below is correct. Here are some tips:
    1. White rice has 200 calories per cup so try to only have one serving.
    2. Select a dish that has vegetables...you know that they're great for you and guiltless so fill up on them as much as possible.
    3. Most Chinese soups (eggdrop, hot and sour) have only 100 calories per cup so that would be a pretty good starter / filler
    4. When reading the descriptions, try to select something that is Cantonese. Steaming and boiling are used more often than frying to prepare food. Vegetables are cooked in the shortest time in order to retain the natural crispness and flavor.
    5. Be sure to ask for your sauce on the side. Just dipping your food into it will save you so much grief.

Good luck and have fun!!!!
  • katnevsmom
    Options
    I usually will get lettuce cups and soup. Full of sodium I know but calorie wise is better than a meal with rice. Whatever you choose enjoy it and just do a little extra workout today:)
  • Jess0218
    Jess0218 Posts: 138
    Options
    I was just craving this last nite and had to blow it off. I love General TSO's Chicken and Lo Mein Noodles. Man oh man, makes my mouth water. I wish I new the calorie/sodium etc on this stuff. If you do eat, just def. do small portions and drink tons of H2o :)
  • evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I'm sure my husband would go for something else, but I also have to accept that I'm not going to go the rest of my life never eating Chinese again, so might as well start making better choices now. You are all so helpful & encxouraging. Thanks so much again!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Well, yesterday was the start of the Chinest New Year so this would make a good choice for dinner. Just stick with a little steamed rice and whatever looks like it's not drowning in sauce. Stay away from anything fried and you should be ok. Just don't stuff yourself and you'll be fine. Have a couple bites for me! :drinker:
  • Rena313
    Options
    I know you're going to a restaurant. However, I once wanted to eat sugar-free and asked a Chinese place in a food court to point me to items without sugar - there was only plain rice that was prepared without sugar!
  • dawnkitchen
    Options
    My boyfriend and I get Chinese once a week with his grandma. Sometimes I get Subway instead, but if I do get Chinese I just ask that they steam chicken and vegetables and have sauce on the side. (I just order the dish I want the sauce from and request the steaming and sauce on the side so it is less confusing for the restaurant and still what I want).