Healthy Banana French Toast-126 cals/serving

Options
Found this recipe on thatsfit.com. Tried it out this morning for breakfast and was NOT disappointed. As a matter of fact, this easily replaces my standard french toast recipe, and lets me feel good about eating it, rather than guilty, so YAY!

Ingredients

3 egg whites
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. Splenda
1 ripe banana
8 slices whole wheat bread
reduced calorie maple syrup (optional) <---I use Walden Farms. It's the one product of theirs that I don't find repulsive

Directions

1. In a shallow bowl, using a wire whisk, beat the egg whites, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and Splenda.
2. Mash the banana with a fork and add to egg mixture. Mix well to combine.
3. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
4. Lightly spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Dip 4 of the bread slices into the egg mixture, turning to coat, and drain excess back into the dish.
5. Place the bread slices in the skillet. Cook until golden brown, turning once, about 1 to 2 minutes per side.
6. Transfer cooked slices to plate; keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining bread slices.
7. Divide French toast among serving plates and top with maple syrup, if desired.

Serves 4

Nutrition Content, Per Serving:

126 calories, 28g carbohydrate, 10g fiber, 12g protein, 2g fat, 0g sat. fat, 349mg sodium

Replies

• kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! But which bread are you using exactly? Two slices are a serving? The whole wheat I buy from Nature's Pride has 70 calories a slice. I just wonder if I use my bread how many calories would it add. Thanks!!
  • Mint_Berry_Crunch
    Options
    I'm using Nature's Own Whitewheat. It's 110 calories per TWO slices. Mmmmm :)
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    yum! I've been thinking about french toast and this one sounds amazing and bananas! bananas are awesome.

I've been conflicted about pancakes and french toast and stuff because even with healthy recipes for them you still kinda need syrup. Every normal grocery store syrup has high fructose corn syrup and natural maple is to pricey for me...so I'm settling for log cabin since it miraculously have no HFCS.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! I'll have to make that tomorrow!! :bigsmile:
  • lucasdany
    lucasdany Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yummy Bump
  • loushep
    loushep Posts: 191
    Options
    Yummy Bump

Second that!! :smile:
  • meganld
    meganld Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I'm definitely going to experiment with this- I'm have a total weakness for french toast and I'm a foodie. That means I'm doing crap like using Challah bread and unsalted sweet cream butter and extra egg yolks with vanilla etc and let's just say that route leads to my present state....

For syrup, I'd personally just go ahead and get Maple syrup instead of a substitute, and measure it and drizzle, drizzle, drizzle. It sounds stupid but if you hold it high and drizzle a very small portion- you can sweeten your french toast with fabulous flavor and not have to use 1/4 cup of it!
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Instead of syrup I use agave nectar. Still nice and sweet none of the crap you find in syrup. 60 calories per tablespoon, check it out!
  • lindainak
    Options
    Love it when anyone posts a recipe!
  • ChantalC1969
    ChantalC1969 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • rdy2begin
    Options
    Sounds delicious ..will be breakfast for my fam in the A.M TY :)
  • Mint_Berry_Crunch
    Options
    You guys be sure to come back and post your opinion after you make it. One thing that drives me bonkers is seeing a yummy LOOKING recipe, everyone saying ooh that looks good, and then not coming back to confirm once they've made it. LOL Personally, I love this new recipe, but if you guys find something to make it better, speak up! :)
  • sbusch21
    Options
    bump
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! But which bread are you using exactly? Two slices are a serving? The whole wheat I buy from Nature's Pride has 70 calories a slice. I just wonder if I use my bread how many calories would it add. Thanks!!

Sarah Lee has a whole wheat breadthat is only 45 cals a slice!
  • nkteach
    Options
    I made it! Was so good. I used sara lee 100% whole wheat. :happy:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mint_Berry_Crunch
    Options
    I made it! Was so good. I used sara lee 100% whole wheat. :happy:

yay! glad you liked it!
  • bluerose9483
    bluerose9483 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    When I first heard this topic, I thought, ew, I like the two, but combined it just didn't sound good. So I read the recipe, i think I'm going to try this! It does sound good and esp after reading everyone's comments who did try it....Makes me want to try it!