Gained 3lb in a day - is this normal??

Options
Well Thursday I weighed myself & I was 157lb. Weighed myself Friday night & I'm 160lb. Weighed myself today (Saturday) & I'm 160.8lbs!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

So although I've been exercising for 3 weeks & lost 3lbs, I seem to have put it all back on overnight!!! It's not like I ate the contents of the fridge in one sitting.

As you can imagine it's made me feel very down & I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else??

Replies

• ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY normal.....Especially if you're ovulating, or on your period....MANY women will see at least a 1-2 pound weight "gain" (due to hormone fluctuations and water retention) during this time, but as soon as the ovulation period, or the ACTUAL period is over, it'll drop off again. DO NOT let this get you discouraged enough to give up!
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    hey hon, the body can differ upto 3/4 lbs per day dependin on ur normal body functions and how long any food etc takes to be digested. plz dont be downhearted:flowerforyou:

best wishes
    Kirstie xx
  • zanazee
    Options
    Your weight naturally fluctuates from day to day (changes in water weight, etc), which is why it's usually recommended to only do a SINGLE weekly weigh-in. If you absolutely cannot handle that, I'd say weigh yourself no more than twice a week, because otherwise those small fluctuations will drive you bonkers!!
  • GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is real normal becasue the body is composed of so much water. Fluxuations aren't a bad thing and I bet the weight will go down four pounds pretty soon :o)
  • Charrisse
    Options
    I would imagine alot of it is water - how is your sodium intake?
    Are you close to your period? I bump around a good 3 pounds before I start.
    And of course, you could have gained muscle, but not 3 pounds in 2 days lol My guess is its water fluctuation. Try drinking a bunch of green tea (fresh brewed, no sugar!) today :)
  • Grace76
    Options
    I would say its normal. Your weight can vary by 5 pounds daily. Especially if it close to that time of month. Mine changes on me frequently, so I only weigh myself once a week.

Taking your measurements is also a good way to track how you're doing.
  • Diya13
    Diya13 Posts: 24
    Options
    There could be a number of factors involved here: water retention, hormonal differences, even muscle gain. Try increasing your water intake for a few days and don't despair! There's no physiological way you could have gained 3 lbs of fat in 1 day without eating your refrigerator! Fluctuations are normal, so wait a few days and weigh yourself again. Everything should even out.
  • Hannastyrbjorn
    Options
    is Tom about to visit?, have you done heavy workout? have you been drinking enough water? have you kept your sodium levels under control? There are so many things that can make your weight fluctuate like that. weigh in the same time every day in the same clothes, but preferably your birthday suit. Keep it up - you will get positive results!!
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You would have had to eat an excess of 10,000 calories for it to be fat and you can not put that much muscle on in one day so it is water. tomorrow will probably be different. Don't worry about it
  • rainydayvivi
    rainydayvivi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    same thing just happened to me: gained 2 ibs overnight on the 2nd day of my period. but what freaked me out is I ate a fatty and carb-laden meal at a friends last night at 9 pm. LOTS of sodium too. So i have to blame the sodium for helping me retain water (along with my period) but it sucks because Im worried about the carbs and fat that I ate and that when my period is over I wont be back to my real weight (108).

I HATE MY PERIOD!!!! Next month I am doing a smoothie fast throughout my period or at least no sodium at all. Maybe that will help take away water retention. I LOOK PREGNANT!! THIS SUCKS!
  • Amethysta79
    Amethysta79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I hardly ate at all on Thursday as it's my first week back at work & I don't have time to eat when it's busy as we're expected to get our work done & not take breaks.
    I was incredibly stressed all week (like my head was going to pop!) & so wondered whether stress was anything to do with it? :explode:

And yes Mother Nature is due to visit in around 5 days :wink:

It is really disheartening as I am working out every day & stick to my calorie intake (1200) & am often under it.

I keep seeing friends of mine lose half a stone to a stone in a week & when I only lose a pound if I'm lucky & then put it all back on, I want to cry.

I have scales which read body fat etc & it said that had gone up too! Yet I feel thinner (could be my imagination) & I can feel my arms/legs/stomach getting harder under the wobbly outer layer haha!
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    The only real possible way to gain 3lbs in a day would be to consume 10500 calories over your BMR than your normal intake, so don't worry it will be mainly water. Scales that measure body fat are not very accurate by all accounts so I wouldn't worry too much. Unless you have consumed over a weeks worth of calories in one day its nearly always something else that shows up on the scales.

Posted these a few days ago which may help? :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/168045-things-can-only-get-better-apply-within

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/166680-motivation-free-to-a-good-home
  • Amethysta79
    Options
    Thank you!

I feel a bit better now, I was thinking my body must the only one that doesn't respond to diet & exercise!

Still no idea how people I know are losing half a stone to a stone in a week - If I could do that, it would be amazing!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    if you're going to do daily weigh ins, do it when you first wake up after using the washroom and before eating. That goes for any weigh in. Don't weigh in after a day of eating food and drinking water. It's not accurate.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    If I remember right a stone is 14 lbs? Losing half a stone (7lbs) a week is not healthy, let alone an entire stone!!

Don't push yourself to that goal, please!! Aim for 2 lbs at the most. I have my calorie goal set for 1lb a week loss, and each week I lose 1-2 lbs, though some weeks I lose 3 or 4 lbs!

It is so important to understand this is a long term goal, and you cannot expect immediate results (they will not stay with you if you get them quickly!)

I weigh myself every single morning and write it in a little journal. I see the changes throughout the month, and I can see the changes when I drink too little water, or eat too many foods high in sodium.

I really think that you will see these 3 lbs (and likely more) drop off within the week. Keep at your efforts and make sure to get plenty of SLEEP!! Drink as much water as you can handle, and eat well. You can do it =)
  • Amethysta79
    Options
    Yep 7lbs in half a stone :smile:

I have no idea how they are doing it. It makes you feel lazy even though I walk every day & do my daily work out.

I suspect one of them is using diet pills which I will NEVER use as I don't believe in putting chemicals in my body.

I was hoping I'd have lost half a stone in the 4 weeks that I've been following this routine so it's really annoying when it seems to go back on!