sodium and sugar

Options
Hey everybody! I don't know much about reading labels and how much of certain stuff I'm supposed to take in every day. I guessmy question is how much of each of these is a healthy serving to take in each day? I know there's a guideline when purchasing food a to how much sugars are supposed to be in like snacks? I hope I'm making sense lol.

Replies

• dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    The U.S. government put out new guidelines for sugar and salt last week. No more than 5 teaspoons or 25g of sugar a day for women-not including natural sugars like fruits and veggies. Salt levels depend on your race, sex, health and age. But no more than 2300mg for most.

You have to be careful with prepacked foods and fast foods. They put sugar and salt in everything. If you need to use sugar (in coffee or baking) try a natural, organic form.
  • GingerKid
    Options
    I'm looking at my diet in terms of these 2 a lot right now (not yet changed anything though :grumble: ) I think you should cut out as much sugar as possible. On my MFP diary, it says 25g of sugar.

Some of the trainers at my gym (super small, independent gym) talk about sugar, and how it really impedes muscle creation. One in particular told me when she cut sugar out as much as humanly possible (even staying away from fruit and cooking sauces, etc), the weight just *Shed* I'm not sure I can do it though! :laugh:

I think sodium should be under 2500mg daily at least according to my MFP diary :wink:
  • Scarte304
    Options
    Thank you soooo much...I had absolutely no...I was snacking on a 100 calorie pack and was concerned about the sugar-it was 7g....so I guess that was alright. I don't really put salt on anything but popcorn and I've cut out fast food completely. Thank you!