Day off from exercising?

Options
Should you give your body atleast one day of rest from exercising??

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea...or at least make one day much lighter in intensity than the others.
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    yeah i think so as well....your body is like a battery it needs recharging every once in a while to work its best
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Your brain and body need rest. Take a day or two when you feel you need to otherwise exercise can become a drag.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you call exersice? When I take a do off...I definatly need a day off.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    i do 7 days a week right now of walk at home 6 miles altogether,everyother day I do strength trainning.Im thinking about taking sundays off cuz IM TIRED!!lol
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    :huh: stupid double post
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    if you alternate between cardio and weights take a day off or 2 if the body needs it, listen to the body it will tell you when it needs a day off, you will feel the lower energy level and if muscles are sore then they need to recover more, adding extra protein and more veggies will help in that department. On weight training days I take my protein shake no more than 1 hour afterwards and good serving of veggies either cooked or raw to help with recovery. On cardio days I take my protein about an hour before workout along with fruits to give me the energy to run the 4 miles withouty killing myself.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of research in my training to run my first 10k this May and half marathon later this year. I don't want to get injured by over-training.. and it can happen! Every other day should be something different... running one day, cross-train the next, run again.. etc. I also give myself a day "off" on Monday's because I work a really long day and don't have time to squeeze in anything (but I wouldn't hesitate a walk if the fancy struck me). I think your muscles need that recovery time, so do give yourself a day off, but don't forget to mix it up a bit and don't do the same exercise every day. Pick two (or more) things and alternate! Enjoy!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    As the previous poster said it depends what you call exercising, i.e. type, length, intensity of whatever you do..

I regularly train twice a day, so when I have an evening off followed by a morning off I consider that a rest day (after all where is the difference to a morning off followed by an evening off?!). I don't do back-to-back high impact (for example I don't run on consecutive days), and I lift hard every other day. For me it's more thinking about sequencing certain training. For example I wouldn't do heavy leg weights in the morning if I had done double spin or a long run the night before.

If I have have a day where I only do something like pilates or yoga I also consider that a rest day.

I just listen to my body. :smile:
  • ktrame71
    ktrame71 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I exercise everyday - although I mix it up between running, cycling, swimming, and elliptical with some strength training thrown in a couple times a week. Some exercise days are more strenuous than others and I leave room for light exercise in case I am too sore. I find myself craving the exercise time. Also, I am training for my first half marathon in April and I have been doing spring distance triathlons for two years.