Time to Break Bad

Options
OMG Ya'll
I am so dissapointed.
Going back to the basics.
I have cut out, cut back, walk all the time and still 1-2 lbs a week.
For all I do in one weeks time, I should be at my goal.

Went back to the doctor today and got a clean bill of health from my surgery and it's time to get a move on.

I hate to do it, but I am going back with Atkins!!!!

14 days of no starch..... no sugar...... refuned that is.

It really works for me and I have to do it.

Replies

• elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    OMG Ya'll
    I am so dissapointed.
    Going back to the basics.
    I have cut out, cut back, walk all the time and still 1-2 lbs a week.
    For all I do in one weeks time, I should be at my goal.

Went back to the doctor today and got a clean bill of health from my surgery and it's time to get a move on.

I hate to do it, but I am going back with Atkins!!!!

14 days of no starch..... no sugar...... refuned that is.

It really works for me and I have to do it.
  • stacesand
    stacesand Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that. I did Atkins for a while and lost 20 pounds over about a 4 month period. It worked great for me as well. I did have a lot of stress, but not something that would normally have caused my body to behave like it did. I started having a lot of arrhythmia and my heart would also beat fast. I went to the doctor and he told me to cut back on caffeine. So I did and felt better...he also gave me a beta blocker to help slow my heart rate and bring down my blood pressure down a bit. Long story...well, long....my coworker read somewhere that someone else had a very similar experience while being on the Atkins diet. Did anything like that happen to you?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand this post. Are you saying you were disappointed with 1-2 lbs a week? If so, why?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand this post. Are you saying you were disappointed with 1-2 lbs a week? If so, why?

I'm not sure either--I'd love to lose 1-2 pounds a week at this point!
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? If I were losing 1 - 2 lbs a week I would be doing handstands! Keep in mind I am 53 yrs old and have not done them since I was in my 20's.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    1 pound,oh lord plz give me 1 less pound
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? If I were losing 1 - 2 lbs a week I would be doing handstands! Keep in mind I am 53 yrs old and have not done them since I was in my 20's.

Seriously! I gained a pound this week. :grumble:
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    isn't 1-2 pounds a good rate,and also a healthy rate.... much more would be an unhealthy rate after your initial lost the 1st few weeks.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I'm just hard on myself. I have been reading so much about successfully loosing 4-5 lbs a week. And I want to be one of those.....
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ell-why dont you google the biggest losers. Most of them gain back 50% of the weight within months of leaving the show. I read where one guy gained 30 pounds in 1 week.

The whole idea should be this is FOREVER.. I dont know how old you are, but I am 47 and have tried every fad diet out there. One time I lost 10 pounds in one week! Of course I spent 3 days in the hospital because I was dehydrated :sick: but what the heck-I fit in my jeans..(kidding)

I truly feel like I am getting a grip on it this time. Even though I have lost no poundage this week, I feel healthy, my skin looks great and my son is now down by 35 pounds! It was just due to better food in the house and my example.

Please dont be hard on yourself. It will happen. Look at Tami! :love:
  • richardwelch
    Options
    sorry, that is just unrealistic unless you are hardcore training for athletics, ie 4k-6k cals a day in training. And that is only after you have built up a muscle base. I am really concerned for you because it is unrealistic goals and expectations that cause most people to fail. They see that they "can't " make it, throw up thier hands and say "screw it."

Please sit down with someone you trust AND who is knowledgable about weight loss and discuss your goals with them. Perhaps your physician?

*edit - I could go on and on about this, but think about this as well: do you like carbs? If so, isn't completely depriving yourself of them going to make success even harder? As opposed, I mean, to a well rounded, healthy diet (which it sounds like you're on) coupled with excercise.

Is the excercise the issue? Time?

Please, sit down and re-evaluate where you are with your health goals and your desires and try to find a better solution.
  • banks1850
    Options
    4 to 5 lbs a week is neither sustainable nor is it healthy. 1 lb a week is a good rate. Heck, that's 52 lbs in a YEAR. Thats a lot of weight. Unless you started out morbidly obese, you can't really expect more then that. Being hard on yourself it one thing, being unrealistic is quite another.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    4 to 5 lbs a week is neither sustainable nor is it healthy. 1 lb a week is a good rate. Heck, that's 52 lbs in a YEAR. Thats a lot of weight. Unless you started out morbidly obese, you can't really expect more then that. Being hard on yourself it one thing, being unrealistic is quite another.

I completely agree. Plus I must point out that SO many people on here say "in the past I lost 20 [or 30 or 40 or 100] pounds with atkins" yet here they are, having gained it all back! Atkins just isn't a good long-term solution. 1-2 pounds a week is an awesome rate, and patience is a virtue. :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    Options
    To follow up with richard. I am also a detractor of atkins, south beach, or any diet that severely deprives one of the essential food groups. There is a reason why most major health organizations put out a balanced diet plan, and I'm living proof that it works! There are reasons why people lose significant weight with plans like atkins, and they are not healthy reasons. read up on this and you will see what I mean.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/atkins-diet-what-it-is

please read closely on page four where they ask doctors about any concerns over it. This is not the only reference I have on this.

NEJoM also had this to say
    (quote from a study done and published to the New England Journal of Medicine by the University of Pennsylvania school of Medicine)
    Conclusions The low-carbohydrate diet produced a greater weight loss (absolute difference, approximately 4 percent) than did the conventional diet for the first six months, but the differences were not significant at one year. The low-carbohydrate diet was associated with a greater improvement in some risk factors for coronary heart disease. Adherence was poor and attrition was high in both groups. Longer and larger studies are required to determine the long-term safety and efficacy of low-carbohydrate, high-protein, high-fat diets.

In other words, in the long term, they are no better then a healthy diet, we don't know what it may do to you in the long term. So there is really no reason to do this diet over a healthy one!
  • Sunibc22
    Options
    I had great success with Atkins a few years ago. Great success losing weight that is. I also had problems with my monthly cycle, started losing my hair, and was extremely moody. My doctor strongly encouraged me to get off it and try to just eat better. Once I stopped the diet I gained back all the weight I lost plus some in record time.
    So yes, you can lose alot of weight on this but is it worth the risks?
  • pecksun8
    Options
    Good info!

Right now I would also be happy with losing one pound. I was doing great, until the hurricane, cold, and now a sore back...I just want to get back to normal so I can get back to working out.