cooked food -different calories???

Options
Just wondering that when i make dinner and put e.g. chicken, tomatoes, peppers into a sauce - I always take it from the list saying "Raw Chicken" "Raw Pepper" or "Raw Tomato" - is this right ...i know they can loose some weigh (water) in the cooking process??

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    There may be some weight difference in raw versus cooked so you should log it based on when you measured it. If you measure it raw, use the raw entry. If you cooked it first and then measured your portion, use the cooked entry. Probably not a HUGE difference but no sense in taking the chance, right? :)
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    think if the difference between one cup of cooked spinach and one cup of raw.
    Huge difference. One cup of raw spinach equals what? 1 tablespoon cooked? *L* ok.. i exaggerate, but not by much *LOL*
    An extreme example, but valid *S*
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Use the raw weight, and weigh your stuff raw, that way you're accurate. You can't be sure that you cooked your item as long as someone else did for your water reduction to be the same... like take a burger anywhere, they are very sure to specify the 1/4 lb weight is pre-cooked weight. I weigh all my ingredients raw.
  • cacfish
    Options
    Thanks for the advice- I think i'll stick with RAW!!!

(btw that is the name of a t.v. prog that i just love :-) )