How does this work

Options
Hello I am new to this and just wondered how everyone was working this. Will keep up to date with my eating habits. I really need to do this. I have been threatening to get on a healthy eating kick since Christmas and have procrastinated every day since. So here hoping I can get it rolling. Any help from other members would be welcomed. Thanks for listening. Anne

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Having lots of encouraging friends helps keep me motivated and inspired! :smile: So... friend request on the way!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome! Here is a link that includes other links to help you on your journey. The information is priceless and oh-so-helpful! Come here to post any questions, concerns, rants, raves, or whatever you're feeling and you'll find that you'll get amazing support from all of the wonderful people here! Good luck! :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Is there something in particular that you need help with?
  • SamWTFx3
    Options
    Just enter your calories after everything you eat. The "Net" calories is just your food calories minus your exercise calories. Basically, this site works with "the more you exercise, the more you can eat." I think almost everyone here is on the 1200 calorie program. You need to take in that much per day, so it's good to eat at least half of your exercise calories..
    The message boards are just here for motivation, answers, and support! :D
    Welcome :flowerforyou:
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Anne, I just jumped right in it. Look for people who have similar interests as you (weight loss goals, live near you, same age or stage in their life as you). Feel free to add me. Having friends on here makes the world of difference and it makes you feel accountable for everything you're doing.

I hope you find this website just as useful as I do, it's great.:bigsmile: Once again welcome and I look forward to seeing you progress in your journey.

Take care,

Carrie:wink:
  • krystehna
    Options
    Hi Anne,
    I am new as well and would love to be your fitness pal. I've use this for a few days and can tell that it really changes my eating. I don't want to log certain things so I don't eat it! Same with exercises! It's all about accountability. You can do it!
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    Take it in small chunks. Don't skip breakfast. Eat some fruit or yogurt or maybe eggs and a whole wheat English muffin. Then exercise. For lunch, maybe a sandwich of 97% fat free turkey, ham or beef on whole wheat or rye (not white bread), a tiny bit of mayo if you need it, some Gulden's brown spicy mustard, some lettuce or raw spinach, sliced tomatoes. May some Progresso soup or a salad would be good with that. Use fat free dressings. Supper could be fish or whatever meat you like but keep it to about four ounces or the size of the palm of your hand or a deck of playing cards. I know, that's not much. Eat vegetables, another fruit, a starchy vegetable (I love sweet potatoes), and a fruit. Three meals and three snacks should do it. For snacking I like Laughing Cow cheese, especially the original creamy Swiss, or unsalted rice cakes with LC cheese spread on top. I snack on red or green seedless grapes, an orange, an apple or pear or kiwi, one square of dark chocolate. I also try to keep cut vegetables in the fridge for snacking, like green, red and yellow peppers, carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, and radishes. I use fat free veggie dip. It's just as good as the one loaded with fat. That was a good discovery for me.

Drink at least 64 ounces (eight glasses of water) every day. Try for more.

Exercise. Count everything, even cleaning. Check out the exercise part of My Fitness Pal to see what's there. Do you have a stationary bike? Use whatever you have. In my case that's a recumbent bike (I have to get my treadmill back from my son), an exercise ball, a medicine ball, resistance bands, and two- and five-pound free weights. Walk at least three times a week for 30 minutes each time. Burning 500 calories a day is equal to one pound. You can break up your exercise into smaller time periods.

Track your calories. It's so easy to be off, thinking you're eating enough but not too much. Count everything that goes into your mouth, everything, like ketchup, lemon juice, sugar substitutes, every little thing until you see what has zero, and then you can stop logging those.

Avoid salt. Use pepper instead.

Come on to My Fitness Pal every day and ask for friends. This is a great community of support. I wish you luck and strength in your journey. I'm going to add you, okay?
  • anniepots
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful words of encouragement. I seem to have gotten my head around this and am now settling in quite well. I look forward to a life of healthy eating and exercise. I will keep posting my experiences along the way.

Thanks again everyone.