Training for my first half marathon!

Options
I have officially started my training for a half marathon this week - this is my 4th jog this week with the same feeling. I have been exercising before this week, but its the official start this week. I get about two miles in and my legs start feeling like they have concrete in them. I have had to stop running a walk at times. Anyone know what that means? Is my diet not right? Should I remove the concete from my legs? Is it mental? Because once I start to feel it in my legs, that is all I think about. Any suggestions would be great.

Replies

• mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Have you had your gait analyzed to make sure you have the correct running shoe for your style. I recently started running and my friend who recently did a marathon reccommended I get my gait analyzed so I can get the proper shoe. She said it makes the world of difference. I know around here you can get it done at Marathon sports or sneakarama, but I am not sure if those stores are everywhere. Good luck!
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If your actively trying to lose weight then it may be your diet. Your glycogen stores need to be full. Carbohydrates fill that need. If your really pushing you may just be out of fuel.
    Try looking over http://www.coolrunning.com/index.shtml lots of good info on that site

Good luck with the run.
  • zbstngrl
    zbstngrl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your training! I like http://www.runnersworld.com/ to get info about everything running.

Hope this helps
  • waterbug920
    Options
    I started this week also! I ran several 5K's last year, but I really didn't go much further than that. When I started running, I would get this feeling too. A friend (triathalete) told me to increase my protein in-take if I was running every day. Sometimes you actually need to increase you caloric intake a little to meet the demands of building new muscle. I found that it helped if I concentrated on my breathing and my stride - watching my foot placement, no heal strike, etc. If you slow down a bit, shorten up your stride and concentrate on your breathing, next thing you know, you're over the wall.

Keep me posted on your progess! Which run are you doing? I'm doing one in Pittsburgh this spring.
  • Ltlmis
    Ltlmis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good job, hjsyndrome! Half marathons are an accomplishment and I'm glad that you're doing it the right way by following a training program. I know there are many ways to train for one -- some include jogging, run-walking, some kind of mix of the two, so on and so forth.
    Does your training program incorporate weights, or some other kind of exercise that doesn't use the legs primarily? (I'm wondering if your legs are given sufficient time to regroup between trainings.) Are you trying to lose weight and train for the mini simultaneously? (You might be shorting yourself on kcals, if that's the case?)
    I've done 3 minis now and in my opinion enjoyed the first one the most. I think that's because I really trained well for it, and I also didn't have to keep pace with my husband -- I went as fast as I wanted to, not as fast as he wanted to go, and that made a big difference. We've done it together twice, but this year I can tell already that we're going to be on our own for the race.
    Is it a specific pain you're feeling in your legs, or just a sensation of heaviness? I had shin splints hella bad when I first started training. They went away.
    Also, maybe try some burst or intensity training? Walk for 3 minutes, run for 2, cycle it that way?
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Welcome to running :flowerforyou:

Have you got running shoes that you know are suitable to your feet's mechanics and running style?

What is your running background? Have you done some 5ks / 10ks or are you completely fresh to running? If you're really new to this I would advocate that you don't run on consecutive days, don't increase your distance by more than 10% a week, and include some runs on softer ground if possible such as grass.

Have you got a good beginners training schedule? If not google "Hal Higdon", he does some good running schedules for newbies for various distances. :drinker:
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you are a new runner try a walk/run program. There are many but you can start with run a minute or two, then walk a minute and gradually increase the run time. As you get to longer distances that can get you through it. I have run about 40 half marathons and 8 marathons and have always done them with walk breaks.

The diet issue is very important. Unfortunately training and serious dieting do not go well together although weight loss in the end clearly helps running. While you are in calorie deficit, particularly if you are limiting your carbs to any degree you will drag. Personally my next half is in May so for the next few weeks I will still work on weight loss then try and shift to more of a training schedule. Check out what your carb/protein ratios are set at and for running longer distances/half marathon training you probably ultimately want up to 60 % carbs. You will be needing to eat all your exercise calories and if performance is really important to you then you may have to set aside weight loss goals temporarily and just maintain (I know, seems like you would lose a lot of weight but it just doesn't happen). There will be a fine line. On the one hand when you get to eat a lot of exercise calories that can be great but after the half marathon you will need to cut way back so you don't keep eating the same way.

Agree the Runner's World website and forums have a wealth of information.
  • hjsyndrome
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies. Much appreciated!

I am not new to running, but new to long distance running. I am trying to lose a little bit of weight, but mostly hoping the running will take care of most of that. I know I need to get new shoes, not that my current shoes are old just need a better pair.

I have never really been over weight, and I am not now. I am just doing to it to stay in shape and better health overall. I have always wanted to run some marathons, and now I am trying to do it.

Growing up my mom cooked as if she came from the south - everything was fried and very fatening. I am surprised I didnt baloon up. So I never knew how to eat well, and I still dont. My diet is what I struggle with the most. I love to work out, but then I love to go eat a big ole piece of pizza or fried chicken or a hamburger. That is what I grew up on.

My schedule is this for the next 10 weeks:

Week Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun Total
    1 3 Rest 3 3 Rest 4 Rest 13
    2 3 Rest 4 3 Rest 5 Rest 15
    3 3 Rest 4 3 Rest 6 Rest 16
    4 3 Rest 5 3 Rest 8 Rest 19
    5 3 Rest 5 3 Rest 10 Rest 21
    6 4 Rest 5 4 Rest 11 Rest 24
    7 4 Rest 6 4 Rest 12 Rest 26
    8 4 Rest 5 4 Rest 9 Rest 22
    9 3 Rest 4 3 Rest 8 Rest 18
    10 3 Rest 3 Walk 2 Rest 13.1 Rest 21.1

I plan on doing some resistant training on two of the three rest days.

I will go look on the runners world website as well.

Again thank you for your responses.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Hey Chuck - that's my goal this year too! 1/2 marathon!
    Good luck!
    I'm sure I'll be asking a ton of questions too. I have to get my foot to the point of not hurting when I run first. I guess a month post-op is asking a little much!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    LOL I just looked at that schedule and thought... :noway: :noway: :noway:

but then realised it must be in kilometres not miles!! :laugh:

Well done that looks like a nice schedule. So you're ok running steady (conversation pace) for an hour now?
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Welcome to running :flowerforyou:

Have you got running shoes that you know are suitable to your feet's mechanics and running style?

What is your running background? Have you done some 5ks / 10ks or are you completely fresh to running? If you're really new to this I would advocate that you don't run on consecutive days, don't increase your distance by more than 10% a week, and include some runs on softer ground if possible such as grass.

Have you got a good beginners training schedule? If not google "Hal Higdon", he does some good running schedules for newbies for various distances. :drinker:

I agre with above!! If your new, you cant expect to go out and run 4 or 5 miles. When I started, my goal was to run 1 mile without stopping. Try running for a mile or two, then walking til your rested, then run-walk-run-walk! Welcome to the greatest sport!