where should i move?

Options
samrockrocks
samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
Hey all!

I'm finishing my teacher certification in December. I'll be certified to teach 6-12 social studies.

Where should I go?!

I currently live in Illinois and I HATE IT!! I want out of this state and out of the Midwest. I'm honestly open to moving just about anywhere I can get a decent teaching job. I don't want to live up Northeast by Maine or up North closer to Canada, but otherwise, ANYWHERE.

So, what are your suggestions?

Replies

• Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I happen to love Florida and don't think I could live anywhere else. We lose a lot of teachers to North Carolina, though.
  • superbeffie
    superbeffie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm from Indiana and I live in Atlanta right now which is pretty nice. I really want to move to Colorado, which is the most beautiful place on earth. It depends on the kind of thing you are into. I can't handle heat, so GA isn't for me, though I think Atl is a cool city.
  • samrockrocks
    Options
    I have LOVED visiting both Florida and Colorado when I've been there. I have family in both states. Colorado is BEAUTIFUL but I'm not sure I could handle the snow!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    All I can say is don't move to North Carolina. Recent study had them as the lowest paid teachers in the US.
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've heard the opposite. They are trying to pass a bill here that will base pay on students performance. (FL)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I second Colorado. We get 300 days of sunshine, beautiful snowy winters, and fabulous spring and summers. We are one of the healthiest states in the union and offer the best of outdoor activities. We don't get as much snow as people think. That is only in the mountains.
  • superbeffie
    superbeffie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh, sure. Rub it in, lol. I'm dying to live there.
  • samrockrocks
    Options
    I second Colorado. We get 300 days of sunshine, beautiful snowy winters, and fabulous spring and summers. We are one of the healthiest states in the union and offer the best of outdoor activities. We don't get as much snow as people think. That is only in the mountains.

where in colorado would you recommend? i have family in boulder and parker and somewhere west of denver in the mountains! i've been there three times and i loved it! definitely gorgeous.
  • sunnysonny
    Options
    Colorado or Seattle are good! My favorite is northern california, but thats really expensive!
  • samrockrocks
    Options
    Colorado or Seattle are good! My favorite is northern california, but thats really expensive!

Seattle, really?! I've considered Portland, Oregon but never Seattle!
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The forums on city-data.com give a good picture of what it's like to live in different areas. Maybe pick 2-3 places you're interested in and then post on those local forums about job prospects, places to live, activities you like to do, what type of neighborhood you're looking for, etc. and see what kind of feedback you get. People are really helpful.

As a job search strategy, I would do some research on teacher pay rates and also employability. It's great if a place pays its teachers well, but it's not so great if they never leave or retire and the district is never hiring. :happy:

Congratulations on your career choice. It's a noble profession, highly under-rated and under-valued. As a mom and a professional student, I appreciate teachers!
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Well don't bother with Los Angeles ..I mean yea we have great weather but that's about it...I have 4 friends who all got their teaching credentials and only one actually was able to find a full time teaching job. That and the rent out here is insane!!! I want to move so bad too...but my husband is a body boarder and wont leave the waves.. :(
  • samrockrocks
    Options
    The forums on city-data.com give a good picture of what it's like to live in different areas. Maybe pick 2-3 places you're interested in and then post on those local forums about job prospects, places to live, activities you like to do, what type of neighborhood you're looking for, etc. and see what kind of feedback you get. People are really helpful.

As a job search strategy, I would do some research on teacher pay rates and also employability. It's great if a place pays its teachers well, but it's not so great if they never leave or retire and the district is never hiring. :happy:

Congratulations on your career choice. It's a noble profession, highly under-rated and under-valued. As a mom and a professional student, I appreciate teachers!

thank you for this information! i've never heard of this website! and a big thanks for the recognition! teachers ARE under-valued. doesn't it just seem wrong that someone who can throw or hit a ball gets paid more than our educators or doctors?!
  • samrockrocks
    Options
    Texas is about to layoff a ton of teachers due to budget issues; however you're cute as hell so you should move here anyways.

aww shucks, thank you.

i don't think i could ever move to texas anyways. it's just too.. texan down there!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Seattle, really?! I've considered Portland, Oregon but never Seattle!

You are on to something there. But since Oregon has an income tax (of about 10%) and Washington does NOT--consider Vancouver, WA (USA--NOT Canada) right across the Columbia River. It is about 160 miles south of Seattle. Yeah, it can get a little wet and gray at times, but in the past 40 years we have only had two really significant snow events. So far this year, we haven't had any.

We are also less than two hours from the Pacific Coast or great skiing/snowboarding opportunities in the mountains. If you are a skier, you can take the day off work, drive to the mountain, ski all day, and be home in time for a late dinner. There are lots of great hiking trails in the Columbia River Gorge, within an hour and a half of metro Portland.

IMO snow belongs in the mountains, NOT in MY driveway!!! LOL

A friend of mine teaches in this area, and she is always saying how glad she is that she is not in Portland, as their schools of late have suffered more from budget issues than Washington has. Like pretty much every state, we have had some challenges in this economy, but our unemployment rate has remained lower than Oregon's throughout the recession.

BTW, Washington does have about an 8.2% sales tax, with food and some other things exempt, but speaking as a former Oregon resident, I would rather pay 8.2% on what I SPEND, rather than give the state about 10% of everything I MAKE, in addition to paying the Feds their cut. Oregon also has higher property tax rates than Washington does. If you are thinking, ok, so I'll live in Washington and work in Oregon, you will still be liable to pay Oregon's income tax on anything you make there.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. If I lived where some of the lousy winter weather has been slamming everyone lately, I would be looking at Hawaii,:happy: but THAT is quite spendy.

Edited to add: I can't recommend Seattle, unless you can stay away from the city and don't have to go to it or through it on a regular basis. I left Seattle in the 70's, and even on their BEST day, their traffic is AWFUL compared to metro Portland. Don't ever try to drive through Seattle on I-5 if their is a Mariner home game. If there is a professional sports game AND a U of W game at Husky Stadium, I try to travel on a different day.

I learned my lesson the hard way, when it once took me THREE hours to drive from Federal Way to Everett, a distance of about 50 miles. This is horrible, considering the driving time from the Wa/Ore border to the Canadian border--a distance of 276 miles, can be done in about 5 hours, or a little less if you are a leadfoot with a big bladder :noway: :laugh:
  • samrockrocks
    Options
    I've actually considered Hawaii! A friend from high school lives there and she said that the students are WAY behind. She took a college math class last year and they had to review ADDITION AND SUBTRACTION! Apparently the entire education system is terrible and she said she would never teach there or suggest that I do!

Thank you for the info on Vancouver! I'll add it to my list of possibilities! I never really considered Washington state but I don't mind rain :)
  • samrockrocks
    Options
    How does everyone feel about Arizona or So Cal? Other suggestions??
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can tell you is I have visited AZ in April and about died from the heat. "Dry heat" or not, it is STILL too hot for me. The one thing that could be advantageous is that the housing market was very hard hit and property values are such that a good deal on a real estate purchase shouldn't be too hard to find.

As for So Cal, all I can tell you is in 2004 some good friends of mine moved to my town from San Diego, and every time they go down there for family or business reasons, upon returning, they say how thankful they are to have moved north.

I am sure people who have actually lived in both places can give you more complete info, and I am sure there are many people who would insist that both are great places to live.

Good luck with your research.
  • WoolieNC
    WoolieNC Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Florida, it is great down here in the Tampa area