Protein Goals

Options
Are these goals unrealistic? I would prefer to have a higher protein intake than carbs but find that I'm having a hard time meeting my protein goal without going over my carb allotment for the day. If I stay under the carbs, my protein usually misses by half or more. Now, with the fat, most of what I eat is healthy unsaturated fats so I really don't pay this number too much mind. If I look at it at all, it's for my saturated fat count. I can easily go over with an avocado or unsalted nuts. I really want to focus on having a higher protein count over carbs.

If you're a believer of 1g protein for 1/2 your ideal body weight, then I should be at 82.5 grams but most days I don't even hit that mark even eating fish, non-fat yogurt and chicken. I've even bought a protein drink to help add more protein to my diet but that has carbs too which can put me over even if I find less carbs in other meals.

Nutritional Goals Goals
Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,530 calories/day
Carbs / Day 172 g
Fat / Day 26 g
Protein / Day 153 g

Any thoughts on these goals or low carb ways I can increase my protein intake? For me personally, I crave carbs unless I have a sufficient protein intake. I don't forbid myself any food, but I consider it in my overall daily allotments and determine if it will have sufficient stay power or if it will be a momentary fix.

Replies

• peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    when I'm short on protein which is rare I'll eat a chicken breast or a sirloin. No carbs there.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    that seems kind of high to me on both-

I keep my carbs and protein sort of equal, around 100 for each.
  • johncinarch
    Options
    I don't have a problem with getting my protein at all.....I always go over my protein and I have no problem with that....there are great protein sources out there with little to no carbs in them. My protein shake only has 2g of carbs and 24g of protein. If you like Greek yogurt....there are some out there with 23 g per cup and only 9g of carbs. You just have to eat more of your meat than your carbs and you will have no problems.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think my food diary is public and I eat a ton of protein (not on purpose). Maybe having a good protein shake after a workout would help you. I hope this helps.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. Thing is I really only eat chicken and turkey and I find I can only take so much. I do eat fish but again, rarely. I guess I will have to learn to tolerate fish a little more to break the chicken boredom. Beef is a rarity in our house. Cottage cheese has way too much sodium for me but I do use it occasionally. I recently bought a protein drink (EAS Soy) but even with that I'm still not hitting half my goal without my carbs going over. I'll need to evaluate my past meals and see where I have good protein days and start combining those meals.
  • iamhealingmyself
    Options
    I think my food diary is public and I eat a ton of protein (not on purpose). Maybe having a good protein shake after a workout would help you. I hope this helps.

I looked over your journal but I noticed that you don't show your carbs so while you do have good protein (mostly from your shakes) I can't determine if those would be options for me not knowing the total carb count for them.

I'm wondering how people on atkins do it. I'm not looking for that extreme of a method, but just ideas on how to lower the carbs (non-whole grains) and up the protein levels. I'm not only trying to lose some weight, I'm trying to manage hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). I find that the protein and whole grain carbs do well to help that but if my carb level is higher than protein I don't manage as well.
  • iamhealingmyself
    Options
    I don't have a problem with getting my protein at all.....I always go over my protein and I have no problem with that....there are great protein sources out there with little to no carbs in them. My protein shake only has 2g of carbs and 24g of protein. If you like Greek yogurt....there are some out there with 23 g per cup and only 9g of carbs. You just have to eat more of your meat than your carbs and you will have no problems.

That's where I'm having the problem. I don't eat pork and red meat is a rarity so I'm kind of stuck with chicken, turkey and fish. I find i lose my taste for fish quickly so I don't eat it often. I might have to find ways to get it in my diet more though as I'm getting bored quickly.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I looked over your journal but I noticed that you don't show your carbs so while you do have good protein (mostly from your shakes) I can't determine if those would be options for me not knowing the total carb count for them.

I'm wondering how people on atkins do it. I'm not looking for that extreme of a method, but just ideas on how to lower the carbs (non-whole grains) and up the protein levels. I'm not only trying to lose some weight, I'm trying to manage hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). I find that the protein and whole grain carbs do well to help that but if my carb level is higher than protein I don't manage as well.

It's funny you mentioned that. I did have them up but I was never ever even close to going over so I took it off. I wanted to keep a closer eye on my fiber intake.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have issues getting up that high as well (protein-wise) without going over on carbs, but going over on carbs doesn't seem to be hindering my diet at all.
    I just focus on not having simple carbs later in the day because my body doesn't digest them well and even complex carbs very few if any at all for dinner again because my body doesn't digest them very quickly and it does affect my weight.
    Also remember where most people are saying they don't have a hard time getting in their protein (notice I say MOST not all so please no one jump down my throat) they are only trying to reach between 40-80 g of protein per day, not 1 g per lb. of body weight.
  • iamhealingmyself
    Options
    I have issues getting up that high as well (protein-wise) without going over on carbs, but going over on carbs doesn't seem to be hindering my diet at all.
    I just focus on not having simple carbs later in the day because my body doesn't digest them well and even complex carbs very few if any at all for dinner again because my body doesn't digest them very quickly and it does affect my weight.
    Also remember where most people are saying they don't have a hard time getting in their protein (notice I say MOST not all so please no one jump down my throat) they are only trying to reach between 40-80 g of protein per day, not 1 g per lb. of body weight.

I guess it is all relative. I see people around the boards with higher calorie allotments than me have way lower carb and protein intakes. I watch more of what type of carb I eat but I do try to stay close at least if I can. If I do go over I can usually compensate by calculating net carbs (total carbs-fiber=net carbs) and I'm usually under that way. I know it's not the ideal but until I can figure out something better and as long as I keep losing 1-2 lbs a week I'm happy.
  • kbubp
    kbubp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I drink Dymatize which has 6g carbs and 21g protein per serving. Check it out.
  • iamhealingmyself
    Options
    I drink Dymatize which has 6g carbs and 21g protein per serving. Check it out.
    I haven't heard of that brand before. I'll have to google it and see if it's available here. What kind of sweeteners is in that? I'm finding most use sucralose either alone or in combination with others. I'm allergic so have to be VERY careful what I eat. Sometimes I forget and my daughter gets to things first and asks me if I checked the label... needless to say they get to eat a lot of stuff that way lol
  • iamhealingmyself
    Options
    yup that's a no go - has sucralose. The protein bars have it alone and the Primal Elite has it in combination with NutraSweet (easier to write than chemical name)
    thanks for the suggestion though.