Strength Training...?!

Options
Can anyone explain to me how I can log (for example) 20 mins of strength training, under the cardio section, and only burn 9 calories??
Is that possible, and if so, how?
I do the weight machines at the gym, so I considered that to be strength training. Is there another option because I know I work hard on those machines and definitely burn more than 9 calories...
Help? :noway:

Replies

• TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i dont know whats wrong there but i logg in 30 and it gives me 120. You can delete the number it gives you and put in one you think is more correct.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    the cal burn depends on the the amount of weight, the intensity or speed that you lift and your weight/height, the weight lifting cal burn here can be very inaccurate best way to know is via a heart rate monitor that does cal burn as well. I just picked up a sportline one and we will see how accurate it is.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    9 seems a little low but the average strength building routine, unless you are doing a circuit training, doesn't actually burn all that much.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    lol train with weights like I do and you would not say that. Weight training is different for everyone it plays more to the level of intensity at which you train. I can burn almost 1000 cal/hr if i want to push it to the max.
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't trust what that calorie counter says you are burning if you are going to eat those calories back. I think you really have to break down and get a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate view. It told me that my workout today burned 550 calories and my HRM said it was 375. If I was trusting it and eating those calories I would be in trouble. Also, a lot of activities don't really fit into the categories listed.
  • patjad
    patjad Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm confused on what "strength training" is actually defined as.
    When I use the machines at the gym, I do multiple machines. I essentially do a full body workout with the machines. All the variations of leg press, leg extensions, hip abduction, lat pull, chest press, tricep press, rowing, etc etc. That's strength training, right?
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    strength training defined is the use of weights to increase ones muscle mass, now dependind on how many sets and reps you do per exercise is what determines the effectiveness. FYI never train with a weight that you feel the burn before the last 3 reps if you do your lifting to heavy. I see it at the gym all the time the kids that struggle lifting way more than they are capable of doing and giving themselves a good hernia or a bad case of hemmroids straining like that. Form and breathing technique are the prime thing you aim to perfect. A total body for me takes 1.5 hrs for an exhaustion workout. If you want maximum gains train upper body 1 workout then the next train lower body. How long does it take you to complete a workout?
  • patjad
    patjad Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Not counting my cardio, I usually do the machines for about 40 minutes. I am not worried about injuring myself, I do more reps, not more weights because I'm not trying to gain mucle mass. I just don't find it possible in 40 minutes I supposedly burned 18 calories. I could burn that sitting on the couch in 40 minutes. I just want an accurate reading, I will have to look into the HRM gadget..
  • cindysg3
    cindysg3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I ignore the calories I burn and make it a bonus for weight loss. I don't give myself these calories back to eat but my excercise is limited to a very bad knee. My goal is 1200/day. I have found the recumbent cross trainer great for me and you can plug in your weight and it calculates your steps and calories. Today 35 minutes burned 186 calories and in the same period of time yesterday it was 200; I did have more steps in yesterday than today. I don't see a catagory for low-impact aquacise so I figure 200 calories in 1 hour. So today I worked off 386 calories but for me I will still eat 1200 calories. If I work out 3-4 days a week and eat 1200 I am able to lose 2-3 pounds a week.
  • cindysg3
    cindysg3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    from http://hubpages.com/hub/CardiovsStrengthTrainingWhichburnsmorefatour

This may answer your question. It is quoted from Jillian Michaels at the site above.

"Why Cardio does burn

If you're interested in boosting metabolism to lose weight, aerobic training such as running and walking is a better investment than strength training. All you need to do is look at the numbers to see why:

40 minutes of moderate cardio (running 8:30 pace) vs. 40 minutes of moderate strength training-

Cardio: 522 calories burned during the activity, 30 calories burned in afterburn, 0 calories burned from gained muscle

Strength Training: approximately 136 calories burned during the activity, 20 calories burned in afterburn, 30 calories burned from gained muscle"
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    That's definitely low - considering that in 20 mins you would burn roughly 20 cals just sitting on the couch! But, since strength training is a low cal burn, be sure to subtract approx 1 cal per minute for what you would have burned anyway. You might only log an extra 20-50 calories from a strength-training session, though you burned 40-70 in that time frame including your basic would have burned anyway.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    I guess I just consider the strength training extra. I log my cardio since that shows the calories I burned, so I just go by that. The strength training is a bonus, in exercise and fitness only. OK I admit it, any day Ido strenght training, I allow myself an after dinner cup of coffee with cream & sugar & call it a wash..lol